“EXCELLENT!”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have my favorite bbq places, but I'm a visitor to Chicago, so I can't see if it's best in Chicago. The St. Louis half-slab that I got was outstanding. I waited about 10 minutes. Certainly tolerable. The menu on the wall isn't so easy to understand, but you can get it. Be careful when you order. If you want "a la carte" then you have to say so or you'll get the "meal." Also, be prepared when ordering your sides. They aren't very patient and not very helpful.

The prices are high, but I've paid more for lower quality. And I could have split my half-slab with another person (but I didn't-it was SOOO good). There were a LOT of fries. They were good, natural cut with the skin. I could have lived without the beans. They weren't special. A little more onion than I prefer. The sauce was very good, but I prefer spicier and sweeter. As sauces go, however, this one is pretty good.

The person who took my order was relatively inhospitable. It could be just because she is there to take orders and get the cash, but a smile and a little help for an obvious first-timer would have been appreciated. The person who served my order, however, was great. He took the time to inventory everything in my bag for me so I knew he didn't forget anything.

This place is going into my all-time favorite list. Every chance I get to visit this place I will.

1  Thank Rick W

Reviewed August 17, 2013

My son and I waited 30 minutes, on a Tuesday evening, but it was a nice weather and the wait was well worth it. It was fun talking with the others in line. The service was outstanding with all employees working together to make sure that ALL of the customers were being taken care of. I ordered the chopped brisket sandwich with cole slaw and mac & cheese and my son ordered the pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw and fries. The dressing for the slaw was a sweetened vinegar - OUTSTANDING!! Perfect foil for the richness of the BBQ. The mac and cheese was better than average and the fries were hot and crispy. Both meats were smokey and full flavored. The sauce was tomato based with pronounced hickory and pepper flavors-delicious! The buns for the sandwiches were soft and yummy.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Best baby back ribs I have ever had and I eat regularly in Memphis and Kansas City. Great brisket. All of the meats have a real smoky BBQ flavor not meat with BBQ sauce like other places. Sides are wonderful. Try the beans and Mac and cheese. Dinners come with slaw which is very good. Finish off the meal with peach cobbler. Easy to get to, right off the Irving Park stop on the blue line.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I order a brisket plater with smoked beans and slaw, chicken and macaroni cheese
The brisket was juice and smokey but no taste of the meat it's self and cold! The beans was over cooked nothing special and the slaw very plain just cabbage and vinaigrette, the chicken was dry
And taste less,the macaroni cheese was the best in this meal.even the fries was cold!
Pity because I came from Greece and I was really wanted to try that place even I was bragging to my friends for that! So disappointed

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had family dinner here on a summer Sunday night. The brisket was my choice and it was delectable.

Been to Smoque BBQ? Share your experiences!