“One of the best breakfast spots in Chicago”
Review of Meli Cafe

Meli Cafe
Ranked #333 of 9,883 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: West Loop
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This place gets packed, expect to wait.

They are doing everything right with breakfast at Meli's. The stuffed french toast is decadent and rich. Most of the time I'm happy with their eggs and red shinned breakfast potatoes but they also have omelets, crepe's, a large selection of eggs benedict, and regular french toast. Their lunch items look good, but they serve breakfast all day so why would I want lunch when breakfast is sooooo good?

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Came for an early breakfast here, and found the place already busy which was surely a good sign. Went for the Mana Mou (steak, eggs, onions, potatoes, peppers and provolone cheese) and the eggs benedict between us, with a peanut butter smoothie and tea for drinks.

One issue we find across the US is it's really difficult to find English breakfast tea, and Meli's was no exception.

When the food arrived, the portions were huge! The Mana Mou was absolutely delicious, with perfectly cooked steak, and beautiful red potatoes (common to most dishes here). However, we found the sauce for the eggs benedict to be too sharp and lemony, and the ham was a big chunk of processed meat which wasn't great, but the eggs and, again, the potatoes were good.

Would say the place is worth seeking out, especially for the skillet dishes, but would avoid the eggs benedict

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic brunch place in Greek town. Great service, great food but be ready for long wait to get seated. The place is just super packed, especially on the weekends.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

On Easter, March 31st, I was meeting my sister in Chicago who driving into the city from Michigan. After my flight from Denver that Sunday morning and getting settled at the Crowne Plaza which is about 3 blocks from Meli I was starving. After talking to my sister who was still driving I decided to eat something on my own. The Crowne Plaza was offering a brunch for $35 but after talking to the bellman he instructed me there were many eating establishments on Halsted Street. After walking by a few aromatic Greek restaurants I found Meli. The exterior and menu looked very inviting so I went in to be very happy that I had made this choice.. As it was Easter morning it was very crowded. The seating hostess said it would a few minutes. Then another single woman walked in and the hostess asked both of us if we would be willing to sit together and we both agreed it would be fine. That was the beginning of an excellent experience. I talked with Holly who was a resident of Chicago and she was very informative about the area and city. The food and service was very good also. I was so glad that I had ventured out on explorative adventure and found Melli.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My family loved the breakfast here so much when we came here on our last visit to Chicago that we ate here three times. There's a broad selection of dishes on the menu, both traditional breakfast favorites as well as creative, healthy choices for brunch or lunch. We loved the juice bar. Portions are ample, to say the least, but both of my kids cleaned their plates every time. Although the place was very busy on the weekend, the wait time was reasonable. We're planning another trip to Chicago in a few weeks, and we will definitely eat here at least once.

Been to Meli Cafe? Share your experiences!