“Authentic & Yummy - Lots of choices!”
Review of Sultan's Market

Sultan's Market
Ranked #600 of 9,660 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Wicker Park / Bucktown
Description: Located in Wicker Park, Sultan's Market offers a variety of fresh Middle Eastern cuisine. Since 1995, we've been cooking up Chicago's best falafel. If it's not our falafel, it's freakin' awful.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Authentic & Yummy - Lots of choices!”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My sister lives in Chicago, and each time I visit I ask her if we can go! I don't bother with the salad bar, we always order entrees from the hot bar. Hummus & falafel are my favorites, but the other items I've tried have been quite good as well. They will get you on drinks - only canned or bottled selection available. The atmosphere is small and rather quiet, and definitely casual. Don't act like a prep there, you will definitely feel out of place.

• Visited August 2012
Shadi R, Owner at Sultan's Market, responded to this review, December 9, 2014
Sorry to just see your review from last year, Simmie, but I'm glad to hear we're one of your go-to stops in Chicago. Hope to see you again soon!

All the best,
Habibi's, Shadi

Rochester, New York
“Authentic, tasty and cheap!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hole in the wall middle-eastern restaurant in Bucktown serves up large portions of homemade middle eastern fare - hummus, baba ganoush, pitas, kebabs, sharma, and honey-coated desserts, along with an extensive salad bar. My wife and I each ordered a dinner plate and an appetizer, and had plenty to take away for the next day's breakfast. Not the absolute best middle eastern fare that we enjoyed on our trip, but very good, and quite inexpensive for Chicago. Décor and atmosphere are strictly neighborhood diner, which has its own charm.

Visited May 2013
Greenville, South Carolina
“Be Cautious”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We tried this spot after reading positive reviews. It certainly satisfies the claim of being a budget eatery -- the prices are indeed excellent and the portions generous. If only the main dishes measured up....

There is a large salad bar of sorts where you can buy food by the pound. We elected to order hot meals at the counter, which are dished out (with choice of rice, hummus, a middle eastern salad, and pita) and handed to you. The main dishes are extremely limited -- lamb or chicken schwarma, ground lamb, and another item or two. Unfortunately, I chose the lamb, and it was essentially all crust and almost inedible. I probably should have taken it back and asked for chicken, but I ate it nonetheless. Apparently, the meat is cooked very early in the day and sits thereafter, getting dryer by the minute. Not good (and we even had a very early evening meal).

The good news? My wife's chicken was good enough and the hummus was excellent. If you're on a budget, go for it ... just be cautious what you order.

• Visited May 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Selection w/out the Wait”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Varied selection of hot/salad bar and cafeteria style food. Reasonably priced. Centered ariund middle eastern fare. Lentil soup is my favorite. Cash only.

Visited May 2013
Los Angeles, USA
“Great selection of both healthy & decadent Middle Eastern food”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I think we get carry-out from this location every time I'm in town! Falafel are amazing when they're fresh, and the pita, hummus, sauces and accompaniments are excellent. Lots of affordable and unusual choices on the self service bars, and a plethora of impulse items throughout (cookies, halvah, you name it.) This is great, convenient everyday cooking, Jordan style.

Visited April 2013

Been to Sultan's Market? Share your experiences!