“Great Tour in Chicago”

Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Tour in Chicago”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

So we arrived at the Palmer house with our Go Chicago passes and although the people in the office were swept off their feet they still kept a smile on their face and surprised me with the fact that I actually had a two trolley day pass.
The line to get on the bus was huge and we waited 25 minutes but we were lucky and managed to get seats, not together, but we got seats. Many people didn't.
Matt was our tour guide and I think the driver was Anton or Antonio. Matt's dry humor was refreshing and had everyone laughing.
The next day we got the bus from our hotel to the Aquarium. The bus took an hour to get there but the weather was fine and our second tour guide, Denise, made the trip a pleasurable one.
Overall I would recommend the tour but maybe on a day that isn't as busy because waiting for the bus took some time. We learned a lot about Chicago and were entertained for two days. So i think four stars is a fair score.

1 Thank 123Sully

San Jose, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Skip it, trust me”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

This one was a dud.
As of this writing, I only have two reviews, both of Chicago tours. So you might think I'm a plant for the other guys, but I'm not. I swear!
My wife and I took the hop-on, hop-off tour as a way to kill a couple of hours before another event. The way I look at it, the most important, MOST MOST important part of a sightseeing tour is that you have have a knowledgeable guide.

Our guide was not knowledgeable.

Although I was kind of rooting for him because he was friendly and we both had on the same (non-Chicago) team's gear, he was not a good guide. Few facts, questionable 'facts', riffing for long periods on things not related to the tour...it was just...uncomfortable.

We bought our tickets at a kiosk right next to the river. The nice kid who was selling tickets had a bad card slider, so we had to pay cash instead of with a credit card. Not a big deal, but another example of the lack of quality control.

2 Thank Mark F
Marietta, Georgia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Avoid this if you want an "Expert" on Chicago”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

One tour guide had lived in Chicago for a month and mispronounced Illinois (Ill-i-noize) and Soldier Field (kept saying "Soldiers"). While this was annoying because I grew up in Il, the "hop on, hop off" aspect wasn't a good option if you were wanting to go in another direction. We ended up doing lots of walking instead. Our Go Chicago passes included this, but it wasn't worth it.

1 Thank cjeek
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Waited over an hour”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Don't go with this one, it was a wasted of time and money. If I knew I would be waiting this long I would of hailed a taxi, instead im still standing here writing this as I wait. Over n hour I called twice and all they say is another 10 mins? Are you kidding me..I guess I'm forced to give at least a rating of one cause I have to rate it as something!

1 Thank voidincore
Kaufman, Texas
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Good tour bad tour guide”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Average because of the guide.
Got on this tour in front of the "Rock and Roll" McDonalds. Which BTW our tour guide never mentioned was well worth touring. The tour itself was very good, took us all around the city on our second day in town. It gave us our bearings and we went back to several sites in the next few days. I may say after I googled some of the sites we saw, as our guide was more interested in telling personal stories that had nothing to do with our tour. I now know how she has 4 kids in school, that work and she thinks Hooters hot wings are too hot! Oh, she also mentioned we should take the river cruise "cause they know lots of stuff about their cruise they can tell you".

Visited July 2013

Been to Gray Line Tours Chicago? Share your experiences!