Tripadvisor
Chicago
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews broken shaker bunk beds private quad guest kitchen shared room queen room quad room privacy curtains rooms are small cool vibe cool hotel boutique hotel yogurt room key the location is perfect free breakfast front desk staff
Selected filters
Reviewed January 12, 2020

There are some amazing places in Chicago; Freehand is not one of them. I booked early for graduation week to celebrate my daughter’s college graduation. I was lured by the bar she and her friends like to drink at and by the promise of decent coffee. Neither really deliver enough to compensate for what you don’t get from Freehand. The towels are like one ones at the gym—small overused, dingy. The bed is a replica of what we had after college. A flimsy mattress you can feel the springs in and boards underneath. The rooms are spare, except for some pretty nice tile in the bathroom. But for some reason they didn’t bother to change over the wet towels or make the bed despite claiming to have a housekeeping staff. That staff showed up for the first time in 3 days Sunday morning at 9:30 and though we had a do not disturb sign on the door and checkout is noon, she walked in anyway. So what gives? Tell the desk staff you’re frustrated by the stuff that goes wrong, they look at you like they’re dazed and confused. So here’s my rec.: if you want a slightly upscale overpriced hostile, fine, waste money here. You want a nice room and professional staff? Try the Y. They do a lot better and the rooms are cleaner.

Date of stay: June 2019
freehandc2020, Front Office Manager at Freehand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2020

Good Evening,

Thank you so much for your response regarding your recent stay with us, your time and feedback is greatly appreciated. On behalf of the entire staff, I am very sorry that you did not find your experience at the Freehand Hotel Chicago to be exceptional. I've read your concerns and will be sure to share them with the respective departments so that we can properly address them. Your continued business and recommendation is very important to us and I am so sorry that we did not earn that during your recent stay. Please consider our hotel during your next visit to Chicago, and please feel free to contact me directly with any further questions or concerns. Again, thank you for your time.

James Jennings
Assistant Front Office Manager

Freehand Chicago
19 East Ohio
Chicago, IL 60611
O: 312 288 7564

Reviewed January 3, 2020

The esthetics of the hotel was unique and had very cool trendy vibes, however that's about all I liked about it. I stayed 2 nights and my room was FREEZING. I called maintenance to check the heat and they gave me a tiny space heater. Unfortunately the heater broke and was useless. I did not sleep very well and I was very uncomfortable. By the time I checked out I gave the heater back and tried relaying my experience to the youngsters at the front desk. However their customer service skills were nonexistent. Instead of trying to appease the situation the young lady who claimed she was the manager on duty proceeded to ask me a run on of accusatory questions using directives as if she was blaming me, the customer for being cold. "Did you call the front desk?" she asked. "Well, you should have asked for more blankets, did you do that?" She directed again. Young lady I said, please listen to your customers, of course I called maintenance, how the hell else do you think I got this heater?? She then gave me a blank stare as if unconcerned, or maybe she just didn't have customer service or verbal skills. I got no help, no other response just pure sarcasm, from the manager?? I checked out feeling as if I just left the self service lane at the grocery store. Management should consist of experienced adults who knew how to assist customers properly not low communicative young adults. 2 stars based off customer service alone.

Date of stay: January 2020
1  Thank tianaa635
freehandc2020, Front Office Manager at Freehand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2020

Hi Tianaa,

I want to take the time to thank you for staying with us and follow up with you about your recent stay. I understand that there were issues regarding contact with the front desk team concerning the heating in the room. I want to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. This is not the experience that we want any guest to have and we strive to be most accommodating and available to our guests at all times to provide a comfortable stay. I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your time with us and will consider our hotel during your next visit to Chicago.

I realize that you have many options to choose from for accommodations and I sincerely appreciate your loyalty and confidence in our brand. If you have any questions or concerns at all, please feel free to contact me directly.
Once again, thank you so much for your valued business and time.
Best Regards,

James Jennings
Assistant Front Office Manager

Freehand Hotel Chicago
19 E. Ohio St. Chicago IL, 60611
T +312-288-7542 E info.chicago@thefreehand.com

Reviewed January 3, 2020

I came here for New Year’s Eve 2020. There was a really nice employee the morning of 1-02-20 who let me extend my check out time. There is a bar attached to the property. There is a nice common seating area for hotel guests during the day. At night I was unclear if this becomes part of the bar or is it a common area for hotel guests? This property is located in a great part of downtown Chicago among a lot of higher priced properties. They have various room options. You and your friends can rent a whole quad or room for yourselves.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed December 28, 2019 via mobile

Great for families or friends. Even strangers, I suppose. The bunks with the privacy curtain and the locking lockers are good for travelers. The bathroom is wonderful. Downstairs is a community kitchen we used several times. Within a couple of blocks is Eataly, Giordanos, TJ Maxx, and Magnificent Mile. Very quiet.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
FreehandCHI, Manager at Freehand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed December 22, 2019

Used Hotwire's hidden-hotel search and requested a 3 star or higher hotel. Was dismayed to be given a 3 1/2 star "hotel" that has bunk bed accommodations within its property. In other words, this place is a glorified hostel. That said, our very cramped private room with Ikea-like furnishings was clean, bed was comfortable, and bathroom was really nice. Great flat-screen t.v. Hallways were dark and dingy. Bar scene downstairs very lively. Recommend this place for students and hipsters. Everyone else will be disappointed.

Date of stay: December 2019
FreehandCHI, Manager at Freehand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We hope you visit us again when you are back in Chicago!