“Disappointed”

Ranked #128 of 361 Coffee & Tea in Chicago
Neighborhood: Wicker Park / Bucktown
Neighborhood: Wicker Park / Bucktown
Reviewed November 22, 2016 via mobile

Heard such great things. Coffee is good. Mocha was undrinkable. Not sure what type of chocolate they use but dear God it's bad.

Reviewed June 14, 2016

This was my first visit to this coffee shop chain. The coffee was delicious, but I'm at a loss to understand why there was a 50 cent upcharge for take away.

Reviewed May 30, 2016

I was so excited to finally try Intelligentsia coffee after hearing about them for years. I arrived early Sunday morning on Mother's Day and they were giving away a free flower to all women ... Either to recognize them as mothers or to give it to their mothers. This is a thoughtful touch. The cafe itself is bright, open, and have a few tables and chairs to sit. In general, great atmosphere and their service was friendly enough.

The barista helped me choose the right coffee for me as i described my preferred type... Medium Bold with low acidity. I got the coffee and walked out the door when I took my first sip. It ... Was not good. It was quite confusing. It was heavily diluted while still having a strong vinegar note and a slight bitter note. I gave it to my friend to try and seeing their reaction, I knew this wasn't my imagination. I attempted to drink it again and couldn't. I eventually opened the cup and noticed there was a decent amount of grinds and yet somehow the coffee was light in colour. I'm sure this was a mistake ... I ended up throwing it away after the 2 sips. We ended up going to gaslight roasters down the street. They had a good coffee but their service wasn't good.

Perhaps I'll give intelligentsia another chance next time but it's hard when you have Bowtruss and Caffe Umbria as its competitors.

Reviewed August 11, 2015 via mobile

Carbonated Iced Tea on tap....Mind. Blown.

I'm bringing this idea back with me to San Antonio. Its just what I wanted and I didn't know it until I had it.

Reviewed July 24, 2015

Recommended by a friend, the coffee blew my mind - not for the faint-hearted or cheapskate but the $4 and the artistry was worth it.