“Marriott perfected "How to Treat Your Guest" with this location.”

Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #53 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 20, 2010

My family had construction work done on our home and we stayed at this location 16 days in March-April 2010 (we live in Chicago). Although the circumstances were difficult, the hotel made our stay enjoyable. The hotel staff-- absolutely everyone-- always had a smile and a hello. Every positive comment made on this site about this hotel is appropriate. One evening, my wife made a very positive comment to the front desk about Ismeta the breakfast hostess/waitress and the staff told her to look at TripAdvisor where she is a mini-star. Her status on this site is certainly well deserved. Many times Ismeta helped my wife with getting breakfast together for her and our 16 month old son. On days help wasn't necessary-- she always had several good words and smiles and the offer to help was always right there. Whatever they pay her is not enough (sorry Marriott).

And although Ismeta is the staff "star" the rest of the staff is not far behind. They were not only courteous but friendly, almost like family-- and not in an overly-gracious sort of way. They were really pitch perfect. Another special thank you to Billy at the front desk-- who consistently helped with our stay.

Complementary breakfast is provided seven days a week. Four nights a week they have "happy hour" complementary dinner with wine and beer (also complementary) served. Granted, there are several great restaurants literally within a three block radius, but, for a free bite and beer, you can' t beat it.

Cleanliness: I also could not make a complaint about cleanliness. The hotel was clean throughout.

Location: five stars on location. I can count five world-class restaurants within five blocks, not including three Rick Bayless restaurants on the next block. Great steak places; a couple nice club/bars within one block, plus a dueling pianos place which is a lot of fun as well. A great wine place (Bin 36) on the next block. These are the places off the top of my head; there are a slew of others also nearby. Plus, the hotel is right across the river from the business district.

Rate: was also great, especially for the amount of space (a lot of space) provided. And our room's view was beautiful.

To me, the bedding was not great, but, this is subjective as my wife would disagree.

Its not a five start hotel-- you're not staying at the Four Seasons at this property. But, it is a great stay at a great price. The great thing was, the staff's enthusiasm was infectious. Most of the hotel guests had smiles and friendly comments for one another. It was like staying at a big bed and breakfast.

The place is great for business travel because you can walk to the office and breakfast and dinner is served by a great staff. I can't imagine how you could beat this place for business travel. And for the extra space provided, I can't see how you could beat this for a trip for a family with children.

Great stay. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed April 19, 2010

This was a belated honeymoon for us, and it was our first time traveling together for no other motive but just a good time (no graduation, wedding, etc.). The hotel staff was SO kind and very accommodating. They even gave us the option of changing our reserved room to one that cost the same but had a much better view! The free breakfast was extensive and very impressive, and the rooms were clean and comfortable. We would stay here again in a heartbeat. At first I was hesitant to reserve at the River North location as I'd heard so many good things about the Magnificent Mile. Pfft. River North is a terrific area as well!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2010

I chose this hotel because the reviews were so good, and I was not disappointed. My family stayed over our spring break. We met up with two other families there. All of us were impressed with this hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful from the bell hops and doormen to the front desk staff to the the housekeeping staff. But above all the breakfast hostess, Ismeta, was just wonderful. She greeted everyone with genuine warmth, and she did everything she could to meet our needs and then some. For example, when our teen aged daughter slept in, Ismeta provided us with a tray and breakfast for her. She was over-the-top welcoming and gracious. The manager at breakfast (Jerry) and the rest of the breakfast staff there were also so friendly and efficient. We were pleasantly surprised to find that dinner and beer/wine are available to hotel guests free of charge on week nights. The rooms were spacious and clean, and the kitchen was up-to-date and more than adequate. We loved the location, and could walk to most shopping, parks and theaters. Lots of great restaurants are nearby. We recommend Xoco, just around the corner, for delicous tortas and the most amazing hot chocolate. We will definitely go to this hotel the next time we are in Chicago.

Reviewed March 30, 2010

I took my husband to Chicago for his birthday. I chose Residence Inn because of the reviews on tripadvisor, the location and of course the price! We definitely were not disappointed. The rooms were spacious, the breakfast was amazing, there were several restaurants and bars within walking distance and the staff was very helpful. We were provided with information on restaurants, bars and sight-seeing activities from the front desk. We even ordered pizza and had it delivered using one of the computers in the lobby (free internet) after a night out (we ordered online because the front desk informed us that we would get a discount). We had an unbelievable time in Chicago and couldn't have asked for a better place than Residence Inn!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2010

We were travelling with our 6 and 4 year old boys...a 4 day Spring Break trip to the museums, etc.

The staff was one of the friendliest and most helpful I have encountered (15 years experience of business travel, etc.). I have been fortunate to stay at some posh properties (Penisula, Ritz, etc.), but this Hotel is on par in terms of service. In particular the doorman and their insights, the front desk and their patience with my boys questions (ex. "are the alligators real at Rain Forest Cafe?"), and the breakfast staff featuring Ismeta. She was fantastic, genuine and was always one-step ahead of us (bringing the boys waffles, etc.). She even packed a few treats as she knew we were departing.

Since we are only 4 hours away, we will retrun to Chicago again...and will definetly look here first to stay.

Reviewed March 29, 2010

My sister and I and our 5 kids decided to spend the night in the city for our spring break adventure. I chose this hotel because I was able to get my employee rate for this particular weekend. I ended up getting 2 king bed studio suites. We were able to get them next to eachother at the end of a hallway, so we felt safe going in and out of the rooms. The rooms were nice enough. Clean and were very comfortable. The kitchen was clean and very modern. We were able to check in early and get settled. The front desk was very friendly, but forgot to explain to me that I needed my key to work the elevator to get to our room as well as to get back down to the lobby. No big deal, my kids figured it out for me! We tried to go swimming later that afternoon, but some kid decided to poop in the pool, so they had to close it for 4 hours. Although it's hard to get upset in a situation like that, some guy gave the poor maint guy a hard time. Oh well, can't control everything. The breakfast Sunday morning was a little busy, but they did good keeping the food coming and cleaning off the tables. They probably could have used another couple waffle makers, but everyone was patient and all was ok. The parking was very convenient and I felt safe going from the garage directly into the hotel.
All in all, the hotel was very nice and met my expectations and I would definitely stay again.

Reviewed March 16, 2010

This hotel was absolutely perfect! The location is super convenient, smack in the middle of downtown so you could walk just about everywhere. Every single staff member we came across was polite and greeted us with a smile.
The lobby/lounge area is very trendy well decorated. There are some chairs and a couple of televisions if you just want to hang out. There is also a business center with 2 computers on the lobby level where you can get on the internet and print anything if you need to and it is complimentary. We did not use the pool or gym, but they do have them on the 27th floor.
One night around 10pm our toilet wouldn't flush and the front desk sent someone up right away. The service man was very nice and fixed it within minutes. We didn't have any more trouble with it the rest of the trip.
The breakfast is great. Waffles, yogurt, bagels, eggs, sausage, you name it and it is free! The breakfast attendant Ismeta is super nice! She greets you with a big smile and makes you feel right at home. The beds were so comfortable and there is a thermostat in each room so you could control the temperature.
Bit of advice, we got a really good military discount on our room. If you are in the military, be sure to check the military rate AND the AAA rate to see which one might be cheaper.
I have absolutely no complaints about this hotel and recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple