“Good Place to Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Peoria, Illinois
“Good Place to Stay”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

My husband, daughter and I stayed here July 12th for 1 night. It was a very nice hotel, good location, staff were very nice and helpful. The room was very clean and if you are staying in Chicago for a few days this would be a great place to stay. Our room had a full kitchenette area. We were on the 20th floor and had no noise from the street.. for sure get a high level room.

Our room was not ready when we arrived (which was not until after 3) but we only waited maybe 15 minutes and the gentleman came over and said they had one ready for us. It was great they offer a free breakfast. We would for sure stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay to get a high city view..
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
RIMARRIOTT410, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you so much for the very nice review! I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! We truly hope to have you back at the hotel the next time you are in downtown Chicago!

AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2014

First of all I want to say the hotel is really great, especially for the price we paid for it. It was a really good deal considering we went to Chicago on 4th of July. We had a party of four (my husband, my 7 y.o. daughter and my mom) and it was our dream to visit this city since it's only a 5-hour drive from Cleveland, Ohio where we reside. The hotels in Chicago basically offer only two options for tourists: you can stay 10-15 miles away from downtown and drive (by car, bus or train which is 30-40 minutes one way mostly because of traffic) or you can stay in downtown and just walk. The first option is certainly much cheaper and usually offers free breakfast, free parking and free WiFi (exactly what I was looking for). With the second option you get much higher prices for the room and basically that's all that you get - the room. So, after giving it a good thought I decided to pay extra for comfort and not having to ride back and forth each day of our stay (which was 3 full days). But at the same time I didn't want to give up on important things and I had to admit it was unbelievably hard to find hotel in downtown with any free additions, usually the best offer was free WiFi. So when I found this Marriott Residence Inn in downtown with free breakfast and free WiFi for the great price (comparing to other downtown hotels) I was absolutely happy. Well, no free parking (valet is $62 per day; self-park is $47 per day) but I guess I had to choose anyway. So, I found a better online deal (I used ParkWhiz.com) for parking nearby (5 minutes walk from hotel) and we just left our car there because you don't really need it if you don't mind walking (usually 20-30 minutes to any attraction). The only concern that I had about the hotel was the accommodation for 4 people as we booked a studio with 1 king bed and 1 sofa bed (I was not sure if sofa bed was rollaway, hard to tell by pictures) and on the hotel website it states they don't offer any additional rollaway beds or cribs so I was concerned. And as it turned out - for nothing. The sofa bed is rollaway and even if all 4 people are adults they will fit. So that was a pleasant surprise for me. Overall everything was good during our stay, the staff was helpful and nice, check-in and check-out were a breeze taking like 2 minutes of my time (the fastest I've ever had) and our early check-in request (as well as high floor with a street view - other reviewers' recommendation) was fulfilled with no problem - we arrived at 12 pm. The breakfast was delicious and Ismeta was really fun to talk to, seems like she knows every single person there and when you only think about having a waffle she has already brought you one :) But make sure to get to the breakfast room at least one hour before closing as there can be a huge line out there (again, I'm talking about 4th of July). We got there early so we had no problem. On the downside, I would only mention two things. The actual lobby where you check-in is located on the second floor and then you have to take another elevator to get to your room which is not very convenient in my opinion. So, when you get inside there is a valet service and you go up one floor with the elevator. Then there is a shared lobby (Residence Inn on the right and Springhill Suites on the left) and then you have to walk to the elevator which is the main one (27 floors) - so you'll have to use 2 elevators every time you go out. Another thing is the water station in the lobby - it magically disappears during the day so if you are thirsty while checking in you can only use regular water fountain. In the evening though there is this amazing water station with fruit infuser inside but it empties really quick and no one seems to bother about refills. So, if it's gone - it's gone. No water, sorry. That really can be a pain during hot summer days. I understand there was a crowd due to holiday weekend but I believe there should be a solution for such days because water is maybe a trifle yet very important. The same thing with the coffee station actually, we didn't have one on our side so front desk told us to go the Springhill side. Again, if it's empty - it will stay empty. And no coffee during the day (only on breakfast time). These things are probably not the most important but still may be a real concern for some people. I would be glad not to have to mention it in my review but I think I should as it does not seem to be very hard to fix. Other than that everything was just perfect and I would definitely stay at this hotel again! Thank you, Marriott.

2 Thank mayyanaumenko
RIMARRIOTT410, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you so much for the extremely kind review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and our staff took great care of you. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and internet. We hope to have you back the next time you are in DT Chicago!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed July 6, 2014

The Residence Inn is actually connected to another hotel but they share common spaces; it’s like a ‘2 for 1’. The hotels had great staff. They were attentive, offered suggestions and we were always met with a smile. We especially enjoyed Ismeta. Ismeta was the breakfast attendant; what a fitting role for her! She was energetic, positive and made everyone feel special. She made sure our four-year-old was taken care of with plenty of nutritious options to start our long days. Our suite with full kitchen was the perfect size and clean! We had a beautiful view of the outdoor area of the apartment next door. Our daughter spent the time before bedtime sitting by the window watching out. The hotel is also central to many activities and is a block from the free trolley to the Pier. I’ve stayed in Chicago many times (for work, as a couple, as a family) and I’d return to Residence Inn again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sara F
Thank you so much for the 5-Star review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. We truly hope we get a chance for you to visit us again the next time you are in DT Chicago!

Regards,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I'm giving this a 4 star only because the hot water system let us down. Every evening on our 3 night stay the hot water was luke warm. Other than the hot water, this is a fantastic hotel - clean, sleeping quality was sensational and staff friendly and happy to help. I will mention Ismeta, what a wonderful host at breakfast. She was happy to make our 7 yr old waffles. Its people like Ismeta that make it a wonderful stay. Hotel is located close to restaurants, shopping districts and Walgreen if you want to fend for yourself. Chicago is a fantastic city and would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: We paid the extra to have a high room. It was well worth it as we had no noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dan H, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for the very nice review and for mentioning the outstanding work of Ismeta! She truly is an amazing person and take wonderful pride in her job and helping out each and every one of our guests! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. I am truly sorry the water was luke warm in the evening. I will be sending this information out to our Director of Engineering to see what may have caused this. Thank you and we hope we might be able to have you at our hotel again!
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Spent a night using Marriott points for a king with sofabed room and were pleasantly surprised to find that we received a corner room with tons of floor-to-ceiling windows offering a fabulous view of the city. (We were on the 12th floor, so I can imagine it would be even better on higher floors).

The hotel offers a standard Residence Inn accommodation with a kitchen with granite counter, spacious bathroom with glass shower, and bed(s)/sofabed. Our room was clean and updated, and quiet from hotel noises. (This IS Chicago, however, so sirens are a part of life and may or may not occur during your stay. A firehouse is located a block away, but we were not disturbed by sirens any more than any other hotel we've stayed at in the Magnificent Mile/River North/Gold Coast area). Self-park at the attached Kenzie St. garage is $47/night for hotel guests and you can access hotel directly from parking garage.

Ismeta was a treasure at breakfast (as I see other reviewers have noted!) and was even so helpful to pack us a snack-pack for the road with fruit and muffins.

Only one drawback that might be helpful to readers is the location: If you are wanting to be right on Michigan Ave or right next to it, this hotel is a few blocks inland from the Magnificent Mile. It wasn't a problem for us, but other travelers might want to be closer to the 'action' and this might not be an ideal location for them.

Highly recommended hotel for a clean, spacious room with free breakfast in the River North neighborhood! We will return on our next visit to the Windy City!

Room Tip: Room 1202 is on a corner with tons of windows for a beautiful view of Chicago!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank hfitzger
Dan H, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you so much for the very nice 5-Star review! I am glad to hear you really enjoyed your stay! We hope to have you back again the next time you are in DT Chicago!

Regards,

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed June 24, 2014

My wife and I received outstanding Service from our server Ismeta at breakfast time. She was very friendly and made the breakfast time very enjoyable and she always made it welcoming and enjoyable. I can only say this. She made it an enjoyable visit to the Residence Inn

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the very nice 4-Star review! Ismeta is our breakfast attendant and she is top-notch! She welcomes every guest to her home and aims to provide true hospitality. I will be sharing your comments with our staff and acknowledge the wonderful service Ismeta provided you during your stay!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I made a reservation through Booking.com and needed to cancel. After numerous attempts to cancel thru Booking.com (never, ever use that site!) I called the Inn. Stephanie was wonderful & very helpful. If she's an indication of the quality of the staff I'll definitely stay there our next time in Chicago!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dan H, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you so much for the nice words regarding a staff member at our Marriott Reservations department. I'm glad you had a very nice experience and we hope we'll be able to have you stay at our property as well next time. Thank you again!