“Couldn't have been better!”

Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #60 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Couldn't have been better!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was excited when I saw the location of this hotel on the map. It's actually closer to my favorite portion of the "magnificent mile", which was lucky since the other Residence Inn was full! I was excited to have extra room for our 2 year old daughter and a free breakfast is always exciting! We arrived a bit early and they got us into our room with no issues and got a pack and play (sparkling clean) set up just in time for naps. The course of our big city weekend was abruptly derailed when our daughter got sick in the middle of the night. I was originally terrified to be going through this in a hotel, but the staff could not have been better. They would bring us anything we asked for, and did so very quickly. The staff at this hotel turned what would have been a nightmare into something I can (kind of) fondly look back on. So, thank you for that.

Another little thing I noticed that stuck with me was the breakfast staff. Because it was crowded, there were people down there early staking things out before the official 7:30 start time (on the weekdays it opens at 6:30, I think). In most other hotels, I would think this would be met with some annoyance by the staff as they tried to get things set up. Not these guys. They would cheerfully announce when a new item was placed out and had the best attitude. I really cannot say enough good things about our stay. We will absolutely be back, and hopefully we will be sick-free this time!

oh, and the building was gorgeous and spotless too! For the price, it can't be beat!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jon G, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are glad to hear your stay was great even with your daughter's situation. It is great to hear though that we were able to make your stay the best it possibly could be even under the conditions of your daughter's health. It was our pleasure to serve you and your family. Hopefully we will see you back at our hotel sooner than later.
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Polish first
Pune, India
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for the first time. It's very centrally located and has all what a Business traveller would need. The rooms are comfortable, the staff at the reception is very courteous and helpful (I had to order a very specific food and they helped me out ... very graciously).
If I am visiting Chicago again, I will surely consider staying here again.
Few things to consider : Go for higher floors; the city view from some corner rooms from higher floors is really great (I stayed on 24th floor and loved it). The morning breakfast is good.
The only thing I was not happy with ... Internet WIFI speed. It's anything but hi-speed internet. Only good for emails and very casual web surfing.

Room Tip: Go for higher floors; the city view from some corner rooms from higher floors is really great (I sta...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear everything was great. I apolgize for the internet issues you experienced. During your stay we were in the process of upgrading our internet server. This way we could have even faster internet speeds than we did in the past. Internet is an important part of today's business traveler and we want to make sure we have the latest and greatest when it comes to the internet speeds.
Thank you again for the review.
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We spent a week here. On our next trip to Chicago we will most probably stay here again. The hotel is 27-floor building which is actually two hotels. When you get to the second floor there are two receptions: one for the left side of the hotel and one for the right side. The left side does not allow pets and the right side is pet-friendly. Rooms were big (we had a suite), they are very clean, they had 2 flat screen TVs, high speed free Wi-Fi, two tables, three chairs, lots of light, kitchen, big fridge. Location is perfect for sightseeing. There are CVS, 7-eleven and other stores and dozens of restaurants around the corner. Michigan avenue is 3-minute walk away. There is a gym and washing machines and swimming pool in the hotel. Gym and the pool are on the 27 floor with great city views. Cleaning ladies do excellent job in the rooms. The staff are most friendly and helpful. There is a free breakfast which is very good for a 3-star hotel. Pencakes, muffins, scrambled eggs, made-yoruself waffels, etc. There is 24/7 free coffee in the lobby and three computers and Wii in the lobby. Free newspapers. They also have valet parking (not free). The pool was not clean though. They should have cleaned it more often. The pool water is warm. We had a room in floor 10 and it was facing a garage next door. Not the best view. On Friday and Saturday night you can hear loud music from some nightclub. Did not bother us though. A/C was quite loud in the room. You can hear it going all the time. Again, this was not an issue for us. For someone else, however, it might be.

Room Tip: Rooms in upper floors (floors 14 or above) are much better.
Dear guest,
Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear everything was great. We will be looking into the pool issues you experienced. There is no reason why the pool should have been the way you described. This issue will be addressed. I am glad to hear everything else was great though. We can't wait to have you and your family back with us again.
austin
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was the perfect hotel for a family of four. Close to everything, including Magnificent Mile, restaurants the L train station and bus routes. It has a swimming pool at the top floor with amazing city views. The rooms are great, although they are not as big as other residence inn brand hotels but I think that is expected in a big city. Access to the hotel is a bit slow since there are two elevators that you need to access in order to get to your room. On the other hand, this seems to provide an extra level of security. Breakfast is excellent and they allow you to take it up to your room in disposable plates. We really enjoyed this place.

Room Tip: Hotel is adjacent to Spring Hill Suites and they share the lobby level (but not the reception or bre...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank arblue
Jon G, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for the awesome review! We always enjoy impressing our customers with our service and what the hotel has to offer. Glad you and your family had a chance to enjoy many aspects of the hotel. The elevator situation is set up that way for exactly what you mentioned in your review. It provides an additional step for security so no one from the street can directly access the hotel guest hallways without passing by the front desk or security.
Thank you again for the review and we can't wait to have you back in the future.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We booked a last minute trip to this hotel through Expedia. We had never taken the kids, ages 15 and 8 to Chicago. While it was only two days, we created memories to last a lifetime. This hotel was magnificent. We had a 1 bedroom king suite which allowed mom and dad to have their own bit of privacy. The kitchenette with microwave and full size kitchen was a great feature.

Everyone in the staff that we came in contact with was friendly and greeted us with a smile. The hotel was packed for spring break which made the breakfast time a bit hectic. But on Saturday 4/6, there was a young staff member who took the time to coordinate the waffle station and make sure that everyone was taken care of. She went waaaay out of her way to try to please an older guest who must've thought she was at a five star restaurant. I don't think Regis could've made this lady happy. Ha! To give you an idea, she pushed past two women holding babies who were trying to coordinate breakfast for small children and themselves. But this young employee stayed calm and just kept trying to help everyone. I wish I knew her name, because I'd mention her personally. She was a young asian woman, dressed in a nice business suit that would indicate that she should've been behind the front desk. The day before, I had gotten to the breakfast area about 10 mins after the official closing time as employees were starting to break down the breakfast line. One of the workers made sure that I had some rolls or whatever I would like. Again I wish I had caught her name, she had a thick accent (russian?) and caught me off guard with her willingness to go out of her way for me.

My only complaint was that we had asked for a room with a view. I called prior to traveling asking for this accommodation, but was disappointed to find that the room we were given looked directly into the parking garage. Staff members were apologetic, but apparently the hotel was sold out. They did recommend checking the next day for an available room higher up. We did so and they were able to accommodate us. They even moved our luggage for us while we were out enjoying the city.

Bottom line, good value for the money. Friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms, good quick breakfast, great location-close to many attractions and public transit. We parked our car using their garage, which is attached to the hotel. We had no problems and even used the in and out privileges.

We'll be back!

Room Tip: If you're on the west side of the building, expect a parking garage view unless you're above...
2 Thank drewster590
What a great extensive review. These reviews are always very useful to us. I am glad to hear everything was great. I do apologize for the room view issue and I am glad the front desk was able to resolve that issue the next day. It can be difficult at times to get every request granted to all guests. But we definitely do our best at making sure all of our guests are extremely satisfied with their stay. The assocaite you were referring to is Jing Su. She is one of our outstanding international interns. She is a true asset to our hotel. I am glad that everything was great for you and your family while you stayed with us and enjoyed Chicago.
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel did everything perfectly. The staff was so friendly--greeting us every morning and welcoming us back every afternoon. The lobby was full of comfortable chairs, a fireplace, and tables. Two computers were available, as well for public use. Our room was clean and comfortable. The location was just right for walking to restaurants. Every morning a different breakfast entree was served and every evening there was a hot entree plus salad and dessert served, along with beer and wine. All this for the price of the room. Our only disappointment was the pool area. It was so very, very small and something went wrong when they constructed it as the bottom of the pool felt like a crinkled up rug. Air must have gotten under the lining. The hottub was actually too hot. There is a workout room and those in our party that used it, said it was great. Highly recommend this hotel. They cater to families.

1 Thank LuLu1945619
We definitely love taking care of our families and we are glad to see your family enjoyed their stay with us. We really want to make our guests feel very welcome to our hotel when they stay here. Thank you for the review.
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Rooms are fine but nothing spectacular, a bit noisy from street noise below and we were on the 10th floor. The difference is the location and the family-oriented service. Wonderful staff made us feel at home with our kids. Walking distance to lots of Chicago's greatest landmarks. Was definitely the most affordable family option in this prime location too.

Room Tip: Try for higher up rooms. Lower floors can pick up a lot of street noise. 10th floor is where we sta...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JTravelBuddy
Jon G, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for the review. I apolgize for the city noise you experienced while here. We are definitely in a prime location for anyone coming to Chicago and it is great to hear you and your family got to experience it all. We loved serving you and your family. It was our pleasure.