“Simply fantastic.”

Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #42 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We had the corner Studio Suite with a king size bed and a pull out sofa bed. The bed was very comfortable. The room had a view from two different sides of Chicago. It looked very nice at night. The room was very clean and updated. The room also had a small kitchen that included a small stove, refrigerator, cabinets, microwave, utensils, pots, pans, cups, coffee machine, and a sink. The room also had a little desk area with chairs and offered free wifi. The bathroom area is shower only (with a glass door that looked pretty nice) and had a toilet. The bathroom sink area is right next to the bathroom area and can be separated by the bathroom door so a person could take care of business without disturbing someone else who would like brush their teeth or hair. The sink had three drawers, very well lit, large mirror, and electrical outlet.
The only downside to this room is that it is very small. I would recommend this room for two people only. If you do come with three or more be prepared to have no privacy because the fold out sofa bed is right by the foot of the king size bed. When the sofa bed is open there is about 3-4 inches from the bed to the sofa bed.
The hotel does offer parking. A person could either park themselves for $38 or have valet do it for $48. We chose valet just for the convenience. It was nice to come out of the hotel and have our car waiting for us.
Breakfast everyday was a treat. The hostess was so pleasant. She greeted each and every person everyday. She made her rounds to every table just to ask how everything was. It really made the start of your day in Chicago. The breakfast area was a buffet style breakfast and offered a wide variety of breakfast foods. It offered eggs (two different styles), sausage patties, French toast, pancakes, cereals, bagels, pastries, hash brown like potatoes, waffles (made on the spot), jellies, cream cheese, butter, coffee, apple juice, orange juice, milk, fruit, and I am sure I am missing a couple of other things. The place does get filled-up pretty quickly. I would recommend coming early if you have four or more in your party.
Dinner time around the hotel is great too. There are so many places to eat around the hotel. We went to an Italian restaurant (about ten min from hotel) that when you ordered one entrée they gave you another entrée to take home with you. It was crazy. It was like two for one and the price was very reasonable.
All in all, this hotel was very nice, clean, and affordable. It comes with a variety of amenities. We really enjoyed our stay. We will be back.

Room Tip: The Studio King Suite is very nice for couples only. Try to get the corner suite on the higher level...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Andy O
AmandaMasters-GSM, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Andy O-

Thank you so much for your recent stay and for taking the time to give a detailed description of your stay. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and the amenities we have to offer at our hotel. We look forward to hosting you again on your return visit.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,360)

Reviewed September 16, 2011

I slept here on a sofa bed (yeah, I know, my mistake) for 2 nights. It was literally the worst thing I have ever slept on. If I had been 100% confident in the cleanliness of the floor, I would have moved to the floor. It was that bad. Springs sticking out, lumpy, creaky, you name it.

The location is great. The breakfast hostess should be put in charge of customer service for all of Marriott. She is amazing. She remembers peoples, greets everyone, and treats everyone like they are a guest in her home.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
AmandaMasters-GSM, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Jnb2375-

I am so sorry to hear that you had a negative experience while sleeping on our sofa bed during your stay. I would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about it, as we do order new mattress frequently, which will help alleviate the problem. Thank you for mentioning Ismeta as well, she is a wonderful person and a valued employee. I do hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed September 10, 2011

I stayed here with four friends. Since the rooms only have one bed and a sofa bed, we booked two rooms. Both rooms were booked on the same reservation, in hopes that we would be given adjacent rooms. The first person to arrive checked in and we were given rooms next door to each other, 904 and 906. Due to delayed flights, two of us arrived at nearly 2am, and picked up the keys for 904. My first thought upon walking in to room 904 was that it didn't look much like the pictures I'd seen on the website. But I was exhausted and just wanted a few hours of sleep before breakfast. The next morning I saw room 906, that my other friends were in. It was substantially larger, had more furniture, and looked exactly like the photos on the website. We were happy to have rooms next to each other, were only there for three nights, and spent most of our time out exploring, so we didn't complain about the rooms.
Had I only booked one room and been given room 904, I wouldn't have realized the difference. But in booking two identical rooms on the same reservation, I expected to be given two identical rooms. It worked out okay for us. Since we only needed to use the sofa bed in one room, we had three people stay in the larger room (906). I don't think there would have been enough room to move around in the room if the sofa bed in 904 had been open.
Overall, our experience was pleasant. Breakfast (especially the staff working breakfast) was fantastic. And the location was perfect for us. I would stay here again, if I could be guaranteed to get a room equal to 906.
The pictures I've posted are of 904. 906 looks exactly like the rooms pictured on the Residence Inn website.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

NorCalGirl11-

First and foremost I would like to thank you for your recent stay as well for taking the time to write a detailed review on our TripAdvisor page. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for your disappointment in the room difference between 904 and 906. I am happy to hear you were still able to enjoy your trip to Chicago, and we hope we can serve you and your friends again in the future.

Reviewed September 7, 2011

It's a really great hotel with a very good location. We went to Cubs games, rode bikes, shopped and more all within easy walking distance or close to the red line for the games.

Ismeta the breakfast hostess is the hardest working woman in the city and makes everyone feel welcome. She's a great asset to the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Sooner7
AmandaMasters-GSM, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2011

Sooner7-

Thank you for your recent stay and for your kind words regarding our hotel. Thank you especially for commenting on Ismeta. She is a wonderful person and a valued employee

Reviewed September 2, 2011

Stayed there before, perfect location. feels like you are home!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank d k
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Great place to stay.
The front desk personnel is very friendly. (our three year old loved Bianca).
The breakfast gives a rich choice from cereal to waffles, eggs and bacon. One of the employees, Ismeta, runs the whole breakfast with great attention for every person and cares a lot for all the children.
Rooms are clean and also the cleaning personnel is very friendly, asking if any extra help is needed and doing more than we asked for.
The lower 10 floors are a bit noisy if you are on the parking garage side. Top floors are great.

Room Tip: ask for higher floor
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MaryMattiasArjan
AmandaMasters-GSM, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2011

MaryMattiasArjan-

Thank you for posting on our TripAdvisor page, especially for mentioning Ismeta and Bianca. Both are wonderful ladies and a great asset to our team. We hope to see you and your family again in the near future.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

My wife and I came to Chicago for a getaway weekend. We choose the Residence Inn because of the quality reviews and location. We are really glad we choose the Residence Inn. The location was great in the River North area of Chicago...very close to the River Walk. The front desk staff and bellman were great. More than eager to please us. The breakfast buffet was very good.

All in all a great property. Excellent followup post trip by the manager.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PaulH81

PaulH81-

Thank you so much for your recent stay and for posting on our TripAdvisor page. We are happy to hear you and your wife enjoyed your stay. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Chicago.