“A luxurious place to sleep and indulge” 5 of 5 bubbles

Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
Ranked #30 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
chicago
“A luxurious place to sleep and indulge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2009

My Mom and I stayed here for Mother's Day. The King City View Room was HUGE and extremely comfortable and inviting, very warm. The beds were excellent. The bathtub was amazing with well designed hardware. The color palette was beautiful. I would highly reccomend the pool and fitness center. Some of the room service and spa menu items are outrageously expensive, even comical sometimes, but there was a great variety on the menu, which is great for people with special diets, or just someone feeling like a peanut butter banana panini is a more interesting choice for breakfast then your ususal coffee, muffin, eggs bacon...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank LRMChicago
TrumpHotel, T. COlm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, June 5, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate Mothers Day and for taking the time to post a review of your experience. I do hope you will be returning to visit us again in the near future; we certainly look forward to welcoming your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

Plus points: Checkin was quick and friendly. Hot towel at the checkin counter a nice touch. Room is a nice size, all amenities very good. Bathroom is nice - I actually like the 'wet' area for the bath + shower. Toiletries etc. are own brand but seem pretty good. The hotel is also in a good location suitable for business or pleasure - near the loop and Michigan avenue. Having the kitchenette in the room is good too (but read the negative) - housekeeping washed up the cup/saucer/bowl/measuring-cup I left out. They also supply an electric kettle as well as the nespresso machine.

Negative points: housekeeping is a bit random, on the one evening I was in the room they came round to do the turndown service at about 9pm. It would be better if they could ask for a preferred time and schedule to those times.

Also I bought some milk+cereal to have a simple breakfast in the room. Housekeeping disposed of the milk on my second to last night. Maybe I left it out, but it would have been nice to have a note at the very least about why they removed it. The fridge is also full of the usual overpriced minibar junk. I'd recommend making a specific point of confirming with housekeeping they aren't going to throw anything away. Also a point for our UK visitors - no teapot or coffee jug, but you can use the measuring cup.

Compared with the Peninsula and the 4 Seasons it's close but not quite as good.

-- Harry

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank harryb888
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, June 2, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I have noted your comments regarding late turndown and housekeeping disposing of your food items without your permission. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.
I do hope we will have the occasion to welcome you back again and to exceed your expectations on your next stay.

macomb, mi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

My family of four(kids 8&11) stayed for two nights over the Memorial day weekend. We had a Deluxe King City View room on the 26th floor. We booked through the hotel and got a special rate of $199 a night. The regular rate is $399 a night.

PROS: The hotel is in a great location. My family was able to walk to all of the local attractions. Plenty of restaurants close by. Hotel staff were very courteous when we arrived. The room was nice. We had a great view of the sunset. Plenty of room for four people. Stocked mini-bar but it was expensive. There was a 7/11 about a block away so we bought our snacks there. Also a Dunkin Donuts right across the street. Bathroom was excellent. Kids loved the TV in the mirror. The bathrobes were super soft. They even had robes for the kids. Beds were comfortable. About an hour after we checked in they brought up cookies and milk for the kids. Kids loved the pool but said the water was cold.

CONS: When we made our reservations we requested for our room to be ready at 2:00 pm. When we arrived they said the room was cleaned but a supervisor needed to check it first. We ended up having to wait in the lobby for an hour until they finally checked us in. When we made our reservations they asked for our kids ages and names so they could have a "goodie pack" ready for them. When we checked in they didn't give us anything. After dinner we called the front desk and asked about the kids pack. They sent up a small mesh backpack with crayons and a coloring book. On their website they promise a lot more than that. Maybe because it was Memorial Day weekend they didn't have the time. The only complaints I had with the room was the sliding bathroom door. I would have preferred a bathroom door that gives you a little more privacy. The sliding glass door, with no lock, doesn't work for me. We never did have enough towels. The first morning we took our showers we noticed we only had two bath towels and a bigger towel that was probably a pool towel. We told the front desk when we went out that day we needed at least four bath towels. The maid came and did the room and still only left two bath towels. We had to call maintenance because the TV wouldn't turn on. The maintenance guy came right away. Turns out the maid knocked the power cord loose when she was dusting. The day we checked out the valet brought the wrong car from the parking lot. We had to wait 15 minutes for them to get the right car. They did give us some bottles of water while we waited.

OVERALL: I would go back to the Trump if I got the promotion rate of 199 a night. I wouldn't pay the normal rate though. For that price I would expect everything to be flawless. It was a very nice place but it wasn't perfect. I give it a 4 out of 5.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank dth101
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, June 11, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests. It is of course with great concern that I have learned housekeeping did not meet your expectations on more than one occasion and that the kids special goody bags were not available at check in as stated in your reservation. I can appreciate what an inconvenience it was for you and the family to have to wait for extra towels and the kids treats.

I trust we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the near future. I look forward to welcoming you back.

T. Colm O'Callaghan
Vice Presidnet & Managing Director
Central, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Trump over Memorial Day weekend with one notable exception, which I will get into later. Our arrival was an indication of things to come – the valet took the car and let me know it could be delivered with :10 notice whenever I wished. We recognized the bell captain “Emanuel” from his days at The Sofitel where he took good care of us. Our bellman, Shawn, was friendly, polite and very knowledgeable. Shawn waited while I checked in and the sons were given their “Trump Kids” amenity. The front desk staff was professional, yet it seemed to throw them a curve when I made a request to change my room – yet remain in the same “room-type” category.

We had reserved a King Suite with a city view and reservations had assigned us to a room ending in “28” which I knew to be facing the IBM Plaza – something I didn’t want – so I requested to be moved to a room ending in “02” which had a commanding view of River North. One may access the floorplans in advance of the stay at:

www.trumpchicagohotel.com/Accommodations/interactive_floor_plans.asp

The request was accommodated and Shawn showed us to our room and explained everything from the pushbutton “Do Not Disturb” sign to the espresso machine (which makes really awful espresso, I must say). He took his time and made us feel like VIP’s. Our suite was spacious and comfortable, decorated in muted grays and the furniture is some kind of dark wood. The view was mostly north along Wabash with a small view of Lake Michigan and the Hancock as well. It was nice to have two flat-panel HD televisions in the suite with a DVD player for each. It was also nice to have two full baths! The linens were crisp and comfortable. My wife though the bed was a bit soft, but it was fine for me. Our pillow menu requests were honored accurately and promptly, even though we had requested a different room upon check-in. This turned out to be the one thing that housekeeping got right.

After getting settled, we went straight to the pool, which has a commanding view east down the Chicago River to Lake Michigan. Unfortunately, there was no telephone in the pool for us to order a cocktail, so I had to walk out to the spa area to do so. It took a half-hour to deliver the drinks which, we found later, was the exception rather than the rule. The server had also bought the milk and cookies amenity for our boys and wondered if we would prefer that he deliver to our room instead. We did prefer that, and he took care of it. It was really a nice touch – each boy’s name was written on the plate in chocolate and they told us later “it was the best cookie they ever had!”

We used in-room dining for one breakfast and a dinner. I was impressed that Trump stocks Spiegelau crystal in the kitchen. The full complement of plates, silver and kitchen tools were most welcome. In-room delivery time was accurate to the minute on both occasions. The graciousness and competency of the server was most welcome and the quality of the food simply marvelous. Trump clearly has its room-service down. My wife forgot to include a bottle of wine with the dinner and it was delivered within :05 minutes of our order. It was wonderful to have a refrigerator in the room, and we brought a bottle of bubbly for us, sodas and juices for the kids and had a place to stow our deep-dish pizza leftovers!

Chef concierge Joseph Coston was helpful with CTA bus information and dining options and concierge Kathleen Zubroski had scored excellent Mary Poppins tickets for us in advance of our arrival. The Trump Concierge staff is the best I’ve seen in Chicago and we’ve stayed at all of the luxury hotels with the exception of the Park Hyatt.

My spa treatment was, in a word, transformational. I can highly recommend therapist Jon Meltzer. The amenities in the spa are first-class and the locker/shower facilities are the finest I’ve seen. It was neat to be able to choose an aromatherapy for the steam room from a tray of three options. The Kohler multi-head shower with music and lighting in the men’s locker room is especially wonderful. Chilled, bottled water was in abundance as were towels and grooming materials. I didn’t use the Sauna.

This would have been a perfect stay had it not been for ongoing issues with Housekeeping:

#1) I asked Housekeeping for a larger bathrobe and slippers as the standard robe and slippers don’t fit me. I was told they would be delivered promptly, but they were not. I ended up having to get a larger robber from the Spa locker room and never did find slippers that fit.

#2) On our first night in the room, the turn-down staff showed up at 5pm, just after we had returned from the pool. We informed the person that we didn’t want any turn-down service during our stay until 6:30pm at the earliest. At 6:00 pm – turn-down comes to the door again! We send them away again. At 6:30, when we are leaving for Mary Poppins, they arrive for service. We ask them to be sure to leave extra pillows and blankets for the boys on the sofabed. We arrive back from the show at 10:30 pm to find one pillow and one blanket on the sofabed. To their credit, within :10 minutes we had the extras we had requested.

#3) On our second night, turn-down shows up AGAIN at 5pm and we tell them AGAIN no service earlier than 6:30pm. AGAIN, another knock on the door at 6pm. We ask them to come back at 6:30 when we plan to leave and make clear that the extra pillow and blanket we had saved from the previous night is to be used AGAIN. We arrive back at the hotel from dinner at 8:30pm to find one pillow and one blanket on the sofabed. AGAIN we must call for additional pillow and blanket.

#4) On our third and final evening in the hotel, we were tired from a day of Lincoln Park Zoo and shopping so we went to our room at 3:45 to find the housekeeping staff just starting to service the room. OK – we decided to go to Rebar for a drink, and enjoyed another nice view of the river. They served us a small tray of nibbling items including my fave - pitted kalamata olives. The sushi menu looked good – and expensive – but we only wanted a drink and the view. We returned to our room at 4:30 and were disappointed to find housekeeping still there. This time, we remained in our room to ensure that an extra pillow and blanket were delivered and the sofabed was made up. And guess what – at 5pm turn-down knocked on the door AGAIN.

This is a five-star hotel for crying out loud. They are supposed to note these kinds of things after being told once. I didn’t’ get a chance to register any complaint with the management before we checked out because we had a schedule to keep. However, I was able to note the issues on the follow up guest survey I received via email the day after checkout. Bottom line – we would stay at the Trump again as 95% of the stay was really great. You cannot beat the location and, with the exception of Housekeeping, staff members were responsive and gracious.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Davooda
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, May 28, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve. It is of course with great concern that I have learned housekeeping did not meet your expectations on more than one occasion.

I trust we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the near future. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

cheris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay in the Trump Hotel. We stayed in one of the Spa rooms on the 14th floor. This was actually perfect for us, we just had to walk up a flight of steps to use the health club, pool, etc. Rooms are spacious and extremely comfortable, bathrooms are wonderfully large. We had a great non-refundable rate of $199 which made it an even better stay....I would absolutely stay here again in a heartbeat. The staff and service were perfect. The location is in the middle of everything.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cheris
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice president & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, May 26, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago for your recent getaway and for recommending your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and that you are considering returning. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

Southern Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2009

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay there. The room was spacious and well planned with an Nespresso coffee machine in the room. Large bathroom and very comfortable. Normally upon arrival in the room we usually clean up and bolt out of the room but we were compelled to just hang out in the room and relax with a glass of wine. Room service was right on time and with no lingering looks from the person that brought the meal up. Definitely on my list for a return visit.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank cooldude22
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, May 20, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you would recommend our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Once again, thank you for your comments and for choosing to spend your time with us.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

All I can say is wow. We stay at hotels a lot. And every time I've stayed at a luxury hotel in the past, I've been disappointed. The Trump changed all that. At $199 a night on a special Travelzoo deal, I decided to give the Trump a try and indulge a little for a Mother's Day stay with my kids. I was impressed from the moment we arrived. We valet parked and our bags were brought inside for a smooth check in - every staff member addressed us by name. Kids were given backpacks with cotton candy and coloring books. Bellman brought us to our room; as we got off the elevator, I could tell we were headed to the river side of the property. I was so surprised & pleased to see we had been upgraded to a larger, partial river view room. The room was kind of wedge shaped so the panoramic views from the floor to ceiling windows were amazing. Furnishings were in a muted purple with taupes and grays and looked just like the pictures on the website. I had ordered some amenities (gourmet popcorn, candy jar and chocolate covered strawberries) ahead of time to surprise my kids, and all were in the room just like I had requested. A few minutes after we arrived at our room, the bellman returned with little stuffed animals (pink and blue cows with a Trump Kids logo) for each of the kids - told me they had inadvertantly been left out of their backpacks at check in ( I was later told that the kids names and ages hadn't been updated into my profile- we only booked one day prior.) I asked about robes and slippers for the kids, and housekeeping brought them a few minutes later. We opted to relax and order a room service lunch - kids had a burger & fries and grilled cheese with tomato soup. I got prosciutto di parma with buffalo mozzarella on grilled baguette. Food was amazing and presented with real silverware and a fresh orchid. The server asked if we would be dining at Sixteen later; I told him I thought the experience would likely be lost on the kids, but he mentioned that anything on the kids room service menu could be ordered at the restaurant - I'll keep this in mind for next time. As it stood, we kept out reservations at Harry Caray's - an easy 2 block walk from the hotel. After lunch, we checked out the pool. You have to sign in at the spa on the 14th floor to use the pool, but the staff was very helpful and personally escorted us to the locker rooms. Kids enjoyed a nice swim while I relaxed and enjoyed the views of the Chicago River & Lake Michigan. Headed back to our room to get ready for dinner and found housekeeping was already there to turn down the bed. They don't leave wrapped chocolates on the pillow, rather a lovely glass tray of assorted chocolates and a gumdrop my kids fought over. Before swimming, we had asked for a game console, and we found a Playstation 3 and a few games had been delivered while we were out. Kids had a little trouble with the controllers, but maintenance came up quickly and brought the connection cable we were missing. Kids enjoyed a Wall-e game while I got ready. When we came back from dinner, we found the sofa bed had been made up just like we requested at check-in. What we did not find were cookies for this kids, which I thought were part of the Trump Kids amenities. A quick phone call to the front desk, and a few minutes later, in room dining brought up 2 large chocolate chunk cookies with glasses of milk. Kids couldn't even finish them. After the kids fell asleep, I took a bath - the bathroom is lovely, with a TV in the mirror as well as an adjoining tub and shower. Tub was deep and long with a waterfall faucet and I was able to indulge and enjoy a long bath - I am 5' 10" and the tub was quite comfortable - this is rare for me. The shower has a rainfall head as well as a separate handheld shower massage. Robes for adults were in the bathroom and a digital scale and hair dryer were available as well. Bath amenities were very ample size - much larger than most hotels. Bed was so comfy - I loved the pillows but there was a pillow menu if you wanted something different. Kids couldn't wait to wake me up and open the curtains - all controlled with convenient wall switches. The view was even more impressive than the day before. We ordered room service for breakfast - my breakfast would have served all 3 of us if my kids weren't so picky. I ordered a "Heart Healthy" combination for $27 which included choice of juices (from orange to cherry pomegranate,) a blueberry muffin with assorted jams & honey, a large fruit plate with 4 kinds of berries, cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple and oranges, a huge bowl of Swiss Mueslix with pecan halves, slivered almonds, chopped apple and dried apricot, and coffee, tea or skim milk. I didn't eat half of it - just so much food. Kids pancakes and french toast were $9 each but served with more fresh berries. We had time for another swim before checking out and wished we had booked more than one night. It was such an enjoyable stay. Had a few glitches at check out - our breakfast charges weren't on the bill and the website had promised business cards for the kids with their names printed on them. We had lunch and shopping planned so we agreed to store our bags and come back later to get the kids' cards and my corrected bill. Was so pleased to find out the valet would keep our car until 5PM, included in the $52 daily rate from when we checked in - we took full advantage. I was handed an envelope when we got back - they recognized us. I just assumed the envelope had the cards for the kids and my bill, but once home found only the cards. I'm sure they sorted the bill out and if I don't get a copy in the mail, I'll give them a call and ask. Our stay was not seamless; but whenever things didn't go quite right, staff went above and beyond to rectify matters, and were always apologetic and cordial. What I loved most about the Trump was the lack of pretentiousness. As far as I could see, all the guests were treated well and addressed by name. Even bell staff in the elevator greeted us and asked us how we were enjoying our stay. I felt like we were being welcomed back rather than staying there for the first time. It was really a delightful experience. This is what a luxury hotel should be - friendly, professional staff, gorgeous rooms, great food and perfect location. This hotel is a real gem and we can't wait to go back.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank lindabobhat
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago with your family for Mothers Day. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you would recommend your experience. We hope you and your family will have the opportunity to dine in Sixteen upon your next visit. I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm Regards,