“Letting things slip...” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Liahkam
“Letting things slip...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2009

I have been a lurker on this site for a couple years and after my recent stay at Trump I decided that I needed to write a review about my experience.
I have stayed at Trump three times now. The first two times were phenomenal! My family and I have always stayed in the “46 type” room between the 19-23 floors. We love the view of the Wrigley Building and the magnificent Chicago lake front and river. The rooms were always flawless, the service was great and there was not much more that we could ask for.
Upon arrival our favorite doorman, MK, greeted us by name, said he was so glad that we were back and helped us to check in as usual. It was a great start to what should have been a fabulous stay. Then things started going downhill, first of all, we had to wait a good 5 minutes before anyone came to the front desk. Where was all the staff? One of the male concierge’s came over and started chatting with us; he was charismatic and let us know that if there was anything he could do for us, to please let him know. Well, there is something he could have done, he could have either checked us in or got someone to check us in. Instead of doing either of those things he went back to his desk and started chatting with one of his coworkers.
When someone finally did check us in they were very nice. She acknowledged that we were return guests and said she was glad that we had come back to stay at Trump. Then she gave us our keys. I need to stop here for a second. The last two times I have stayed at this hotel not only was I not handed my keys, I had someone take my family up to the room, show us where things were and of course open the door for us. As I took the key, I didn’t think too much of it, but after everything that happened during our stay I can now see how our stay was destined for disaster from the get go.
When we got to our room, everything was beautiful as usual, our youngest daughter called down to attaché to see if she could get an XBOX, and they obliged, two hours later it wasn’t in our room and when we called down to inquire we found out that they had left for the night. In previous stays we had always called the attaché desk as late as 11:00pm with someone there to grant our wishes and now at 9:00pm no one was there? It wasn’t even a holiday.
Before heading out for some shopping my husband and I decided we wanted to stop by the concierge desk to see our favorite concierge Alexzandra. To our dismay we found out that she was recently transferred to another property. When we did ask the concierge questions the girl either didn’t know the answer or was robotic. I don’t ask that much of a concierge, but when I want to go to a fine dining option that isn’t as mainstream as Charlie Trotters I expect the concierge to deliver, and she did not.
As a family we heavily rely on a concierge. We like to be able to throw out an idea and have the concierge make it happen, and on this trip things just weren’t the same. We decided to go to restaurants we had already been to since the two concierges we spoke to could not come up with anything that we hadn’t already been to. My oldest daughter is a fashion forward 16 year old who loves exploring Chicago’s indie neighborhoods. Normally the concierge would come up with a detailed plan of attack for her stay, but no one seemed interested in providing a level of service that actually required some thought. Needless to say we were disappointed and she was bored.
I think the most disappointing service issue we had was that there was an overall lack of attention given to my family. The only person who called my family by name was MK, all of the other staff members didn’t even make an effort to address us by name. No one was particularly rude, but at the five star level I want extraordinary and that is what I used to get at the Trump, and it is a shame that that is no longer the case.
During our first two trips to the Trump, service seemed to be of the utmost importance to this hotel, they had staff everywhere. They had great staff. Now, it seems like they are cutting back on their most valuable asset and forgetting why their customers stay there. I don’t stay at a hotel to be left alone; I stay at a hotel to be pampered! I want somebody to open the door for me, I want the concierge to know my name and I want to be escorted to my room. When I am paying thousands of dollars a night, I expect the best, and Trump did not deliver.
Mr. Trump, you have a lot invested in this property, I advise you to go and stay there. I think you should see what your hard earned money has bought you. This hotel is slipping, I have quite honestly received better service at Holiday Inn’s then I did on my last stay at your hotel. We used to LOVE your hotel, my daughters begged me to bring them back here, but after the service (lack of) we received on our most recent visit we will be going back to the Peninsula, as they have continually met our needs without a bat of the eye.
I don’t want a refund for my stay, I want my time back and that is far more valuable than any monetary sum this hotel could refund me.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Liahkam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Westlake Village, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

Ours was a disappointing experience. Sure the rooms are large and the gym is great but that's about it.
We checked in on Sunday evening( 3 rooms). No one showed us to our rooms--""heres the keys and use them to go up in the elevator". Thats all. No one accompanied us as other writers have noted.
The next morning problems began. There was inadequate water pressure and the water temperature was tepid. My sons, in their rooms, experienced the same. I, of course complained and was assured that it would be rectified. When we returned later, the bathroom was left a mess by the engineer. I was told it was fixed.
The next day I discovered that the water pressure and the temperature was not fixed and I had to use the gym to have a hot shower. Now I was really upset. The hotel then sent 2 engineers who spent 2 hours sharing our room trying to fix it. Their 1st effort failed but eventually they got it right.
The doormen were hit and miss--some times they opened the doors and other times. they didn't.
The concierge desk usually, but not always, was manned. Although we were there for 3 nights, I only saw a "clefs d'or" once and then only for a brief period.
The bar has a drink menu and prices. Yet, they charged more. When questioned, we were told the menu was wrong. When told they can't so that, the waitress threw down the bill.
They also closed the bar early.
Not once did I ever see a manager. Not once did anyone with any level of authority ask about our stay. I was told that the managers are on the 2d floor and therefore didn't interact with the guests. Compare this with a 4 Seasons etc where a management rep is always present.
Now here is the height of chutzpah. The trump does not have a guest comment card in the room. Instead they sent me an e-mail form which was user unfriendly--I had to answer all questions although not relevant. Last but not least, the form asked how much money I make. What does this have to do with how Trump is operating his hotel
In conclusion, this is a poorly managed hotel.

• Liked — the size of the rooms
  • Disliked — poor service
13 Thank pamshusband
Burlington, VT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

After being bumped from the W Lakeshore because they were oversold, hotels.com helped secure me a room at the Trump. It was like dying and going to heaven. As dank and dismal as the W is, the Trump is nothing short of one of the finest properties I've ever stayed at. In addition to large, spacious, luxurious, sumptuous rooms and bathrooms, the real story here is impeccable service from the most professional staff I've experienced and interacted with. From top to bottom - the doormen, the reception staff, the concierges, there is AAA quality that is so rare these days. This must be the nicest property in Chicago these days, if not the nicest in the country. Absolutely 10 out of 10 experience for the discerning traveler and I highly, highly recommend. It is one of the few places that is expensive and worth it. My only regret is staying for only two nights. I would've loved to stay for a month.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank jdr27
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2008

The Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago is a nice enough hotel. It is relatiely new, so (most of) the decor is fresh and unspoiled.

I booked directly with the hotel. I explained that I had the online floorplan in front of me as I was talking, and was only interested in the larger of the two-bedroom suites. (The '00' floorplan.) I didn't look at any other floorplans, since I wanted the best available room and, based on the floorplan, that was obviously it. I was quoted the rate, and reserved my room.

Case closed, right?

The room rate, plus taxes, for a two-bedroom suite ends up being just under $2,000/night.

It's not like I'd committed the floorplan to memory, much less those of other rooms/suites. When I arrived at my room, something just wasn't right. I didn't know what it was, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting.

Still, my stay was relatively uneventful. I had a few problems with housekeeping, and staff getting the name wrong in correspondence. But nothing that would specifically preclude me from staying at the Trump hotel (Chicago) again. It was only after arriving home that I realized why the room seemed less than impressive.

About a week after my stay, I went online to show someone why I'd booked that particular room. (Clearly, in the floorplan, you can see the '00' rooms are the biggest, and thus, probably the best, in my books.) Only then did I realize the hotel staff had given me the smaller two-bedroom suite. I couldn't believe it. Not only had I specifically booked the '00' floorplan, clearly stating that I did not want the smaller two-bedroom suite, but all my "eAttache" correspondence referred to the larger two-bedroom floorplan, as well.

If this was an innocent mistake, then it falls right in line with the myriad other little mistakes staff made during my stay. (Nothing major. Just puzzling.) However, I suspect they just didn't want to put me in the larger suite...for whatever "reason."

So, while I would have likely stayed there again had I either been put in the correct room, or never learned of the switcheroo, I must admit that since learning of this, I have zero plans to stay at Trump again.

The thing is, I'm going to Chicago again in a couple of weeks. I'll likely stay at Park Hyatt or some other hotel where the two-bedroom suite I book, is the two-bedroom suite I get. Imagine that!

Stayed September 2008
8 Thank LastMinuteDecision
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2008

We stayed here for our annual "Christmas in the City" with our kids (staying downtown to enjoy Chicago this time of year and making it a "special treat").

We had one of the one-bedroom suites. At about 1100 square feet, there was plenty of space for the 4 of us to stretch out. The decor is wonderful (modern, but not over the top). Good color pallate, too - very relaxing. The "fireplace" in the room was purely for show, though (no heat - just the appearance of a fireplace with red lights to simulate the fire).

The king bed was very comfortable and the "pillow menu" allows you to specify the number and type of pillows you'd like to have for the room (my wife and daughters each had their own body pillow in addition to the standard pillow and I had one of the contour pillows that supports your head better than a standard pillow). My only issue is that the sofabed is somewhere between a full and queen in size - not quite big enough for my two daughters (9 and 7), so we ended up sharing the king bed, too.

Nice in-room amenities including fridge, microwave, cooktop, sink, and dishware to cook/reheat your food (if you bring in or have them cook in the room for you - too pricey for us). The Nepresso (sp?) espresso maker was also much appreciated.

The girls also enjoyed the pool (at the healthclub/spa) particularly since, at this time of year, there was no one else in it - they felt like princesses with their own pool!

We'd certainly come back and recommend to our visiting friends/relatives.

• Liked — Location, ambiance, & service
  • Disliked — Price
2 Thank JRock_64
North Chicago Suburbs, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

My wife and I decided to head to downtown Chicago for a romantic weekend and spa excursion. We reviewed several hotels, some we had frequented in the past, others were new - but we decided to visit the Trump Chicago, and it was well worth every penny spent.

The Trump provides a true five-star experience. The check-in process is easy, and the folks behind the desk are very courteous. They actually show you to your room and demonstrate how to use all of the features in the room. Our room was on the spa floor and had great views of the city and Chicago river. The room was larger than other hotel rooms in the downtown area and exuded a sense of calm. All materials used in construction were top-notch, and the earth tone paint was a calming counter to the bustling cityscape below. Everything on the Magnificent Mile and State Street (Streeterville) was a short walk from the Trump. The bar at Trump (ReBar) was very cosmopolitan, and featured a selection of high-end sake.

The spa was an example of absolutely superb service in and of itself. The host at the spa was absolutely amazing - he was truly involved, and Trump could not have found a better person for the job. The ambiance was incredibly calming, from the superb teas to a knockout massage - it was all there. Most importantly, the spa felt exclusive. There were no crowds of people waiting for services in robes, etc.

However, not everything was "perfect" in paradise. If you buy a package which provides extra spa services or incentives, bring your confirmation and know what you are getting. The spa computer systems are not linked to your package, so you need to ask for the package credit upon departure. Parking was not part of the hotel stay - plan on around $20.00/day for public parking at the hotel, more for valet service. One last concern is that the adult TV movies and titles are visible by default - we were not concerned, but a family with kids may very well be.

Ultimately, if you are in search of an awesome hotel experience and even better spa excursion, the Trump will deliver better than almost all others.

• Liked — A true five-star hotel. Room size. Views. Spa services.
  • Disliked — No complaints.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VFR_IMC
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2008

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Trump. We made good use of the kitchen in our suite to make meals. We appreciated the spacious dimensions of the room, the quality appointments in the bathrooms, toiletries, and bed in the room. However, the sofa bed was not very comfortable, too soft and saggy in the middle. Really appreciated FREE wi-fi. Why can't everyone offer this? Every employee we encountered was friendly, helpful, and well-trained in offering service. The only downside on service was that there was only one person at the check-in desk, and there was a long line of people waiting behind us. Attache services were prompt, from requesting plastic wrap, to a glass of milk. We made use of the spa, and the treatments (massages) were wonderful; the technicians were great. The locker facilities could use a little maintenance on the shower doors, some of which wouldn't lock, and more hair dryers would be appreciated. Room service was very prompt and the serving sizes generous. Overall, a good experience, but to reach the level of a top notch luxury hotel, which it is aspiring to be, will take some work. Special kudos to Olin at the Spa, who took the time to explain everything related to the spa and treatments to us in a patient, friendly way.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family