I have been a lurker on this site for a couple years and after my recent stay at Trump I decided that I needed to write a review about my experience.
I have stayed at Trump three times now. The first two times were phenomenal! My family and I have always stayed in the “46 type” room between the 19-23 floors. We love the view of the Wrigley Building and the magnificent Chicago lake front and river. The rooms were always flawless, the service was great and there was not much more that we could ask for.
Upon arrival our favorite doorman, MK, greeted us by name, said he was so glad that we were back and helped us to check in as usual. It was a great start to what should have been a fabulous stay. Then things started going downhill, first of all, we had to wait a good 5 minutes before anyone came to the front desk. Where was all the staff? One of the male concierge’s came over and started chatting with us; he was charismatic and let us know that if there was anything he could do for us, to please let him know. Well, there is something he could have done, he could have either checked us in or got someone to check us in. Instead of doing either of those things he went back to his desk and started chatting with one of his coworkers.
When someone finally did check us in they were very nice. She acknowledged that we were return guests and said she was glad that we had come back to stay at Trump. Then she gave us our keys. I need to stop here for a second. The last two times I have stayed at this hotel not only was I not handed my keys, I had someone take my family up to the room, show us where things were and of course open the door for us. As I took the key, I didn’t think too much of it, but after everything that happened during our stay I can now see how our stay was destined for disaster from the get go.
When we got to our room, everything was beautiful as usual, our youngest daughter called down to attaché to see if she could get an XBOX, and they obliged, two hours later it wasn’t in our room and when we called down to inquire we found out that they had left for the night. In previous stays we had always called the attaché desk as late as 11:00pm with someone there to grant our wishes and now at 9:00pm no one was there? It wasn’t even a holiday.
Before heading out for some shopping my husband and I decided we wanted to stop by the concierge desk to see our favorite concierge Alexzandra. To our dismay we found out that she was recently transferred to another property. When we did ask the concierge questions the girl either didn’t know the answer or was robotic. I don’t ask that much of a concierge, but when I want to go to a fine dining option that isn’t as mainstream as Charlie Trotters I expect the concierge to deliver, and she did not.
As a family we heavily rely on a concierge. We like to be able to throw out an idea and have the concierge make it happen, and on this trip things just weren’t the same. We decided to go to restaurants we had already been to since the two concierges we spoke to could not come up with anything that we hadn’t already been to. My oldest daughter is a fashion forward 16 year old who loves exploring Chicago’s indie neighborhoods. Normally the concierge would come up with a detailed plan of attack for her stay, but no one seemed interested in providing a level of service that actually required some thought. Needless to say we were disappointed and she was bored.
I think the most disappointing service issue we had was that there was an overall lack of attention given to my family. The only person who called my family by name was MK, all of the other staff members didn’t even make an effort to address us by name. No one was particularly rude, but at the five star level I want extraordinary and that is what I used to get at the Trump, and it is a shame that that is no longer the case.
During our first two trips to the Trump, service seemed to be of the utmost importance to this hotel, they had staff everywhere. They had great staff. Now, it seems like they are cutting back on their most valuable asset and forgetting why their customers stay there. I don’t stay at a hotel to be left alone; I stay at a hotel to be pampered! I want somebody to open the door for me, I want the concierge to know my name and I want to be escorted to my room. When I am paying thousands of dollars a night, I expect the best, and Trump did not deliver.
Mr. Trump, you have a lot invested in this property, I advise you to go and stay there. I think you should see what your hard earned money has bought you. This hotel is slipping, I have quite honestly received better service at Holiday Inn’s then I did on my last stay at your hotel. We used to LOVE your hotel, my daughters begged me to bring them back here, but after the service (lack of) we received on our most recent visit we will be going back to the Peninsula, as they have continually met our needs without a bat of the eye.
I don’t want a refund for my stay, I want my time back and that is far more valuable than any monetary sum this hotel could refund me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Poised along the Chicago River at the juncture of the Loop and North Michigan Avenue, Trump International Hotel & Tower® Chicago is downtown’s most enviable address. The Chicago boutique hotel joins a list of landmarks, including the Magnificent Mile, Chicago River and Millennium Park. Soaring 92 stories, the structure of polished stainless steel and iridescent-tinted glass is a showcase of bold style and engaging design. Inside this luxurious hotel, impeccable style and spectacular four star services define the experience. Guests will enjoy a higher level of luxury with unrivalled hospitality and detail-oriented amenities, including personal attaché service. 339 graciously appointed guestrooms and suites await, with custom designed furnishings, floor-to-ceiling windows and fully equipped kitchens. Our signature, Michelin rated restaurant, Sixteen, features elegant, modern-American cuisine, complemented by sweeping lake, river, and city views. For an important occasion, the sophisticated surroundings of the Grand Ballroom or Conference Rooms will offer the perfect venue to make a lasting impression. The 23,000 sq. ft. Spa at Trump features an array of four star services with treatment rooms and spa hotel suites overlooking the Chicago skyline. All within walking distance to the best of downtown Chicago, from the exclusive shops on Michigan Avenue to the historic sites along the Riverwalk. An icon of definitive luxurious style, the Trump Chicago Hotel® brings sophistication and elegance to the heart of Chicagoland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Trump International Hotel And Tower Chicago
- Trump International Hotel Chicago
- Trump International Chicago