“Trump getting too comfortable”

Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
Ranked #30 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Trump getting too comfortable”
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I have made it a point to come to Trump Tower early for a getaway by myself or with family. However after 5 years there are many things that have changed and that are lacking. Perhaps the Trump Hotel has gotten too comfortable ?

Cons:
Check- in although our room was ready, no bottled water was offered at check in and no one walked us up to our suite as in years past . Just because I'm a repeat client doesn't mean one should slack in service.

Rooms: the beds are no longer the same comfort they once were. Gone are numerous down pillows, down mattress pillowtop cover and thick fluffy down duvet cover. Sheets are standard. Before the bed was soft and comfortable. The duvet cover is thin and no longer has a cover on it. I was basically sleeping on regular standard sheets on a lumpy mattress .
Cutting corners Mr Trump?
There were no complimentary bottles of water in room.

Lightning: all the light switches have been switched out. You can no longer dim the lights to set a mood or have night mode on. The lights are either on or off . Another way to cut corners?

Sixteen Restaurant: Breakfast waitress was just terrible . No smiles. Diana was terrible in service .Her personality was aloof .
Did not get my drink, had to ask 3 times. Refills were not given automatically like in years past , I had to ask . Service without smiles and attitude.Felt like I was asking too much...and she just didn't look like she wanted to be there. Time for the restaurabt to refresh the staff on customer service skills . The bus men were delightful and friendly .

Pros:

Room was ready early.
Our children's requests were met .. Robes , slippers, Xbox , and delightful surprise of cookies and milk. The woman at checkin was very nice , forgot her name ...

Sixteen : Food was delicious!
Service as I mentioned before was terrible ...

Car service: car was available and the big Cadillac escalade was able to take us to the mag mile. Driver was very nice as were the outside staff.

Overall I was a little disappointed with the changes that have been made to the hotel. Considering Mr Trump likes everything to be the best, the hotel is not the same 5 star experience it once was.

I may have to try to the other 5 star hotels in Chicago on my next stay.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Windycity21
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. We value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests and we pay careful attention to comments such as yours so that we may take immediate steps to correct any deficiencies. I am of course very concerned to learn that your experience fell short of your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies that you were left to feel disappointed in any way.
I would like to assure you that our intention is never to "cut corners" and that we make every effort to deliver upon the high standards we have set ourselves so as to provide a high level of value and warmly memorable experience each and every time a guest visits. I welcome you to please contact our Director of Rooms, Nienke Oosting, directly at noosting@trumphotels.com so that we may fully investigate your experience.
I hope that your experience on this visit will not dissuade you from staying with us again if your plans bring you back to Chicago. We certainly look forward to the opportunity to welcome your return.

Vice President, Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Leeds UK
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed new years eve and new years day. What a fantastic hotel! Valet parking was excellent, and most appreciated. At check in reception staff were extremely efficient and very friendly, especially Charlotte who helped accommodate my requests to ensure my family were comfortable; setting up the highest standards of courtesy and professionalism. We were upgraded to a very nice suite with two bathrooms. I have stayed in hundreds of 5 star hotels throughout the world. Trump International ranks in the top 5 of my personal list, Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to recommend Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago on Trip Advisor. I am pleased you regard our hotel as one of the best and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind recognition of our team and their courteous and professional efforts to ensure you and your family were comfortable. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

First of all if you get married in the city of Chicago you should know hands down the trump has th best food. Cyndi the banquet manager was amazing, the entire trump staff from the chef to Hous keeping was amazing! I had my wedding on dec 27th and couldn't have been happier. They escorts m all overt hotel in my big white rds so open doors and closets so that my photographer could get the perfect shot. We were done early and th banquet staff asked my bridesmaids and I if we needed something to drink before we went to th church - they they brought out champagne and $7.00 cokes which we were no charged for.

Then the staff did everything 150 percent to make sure my evening was perfect. People can't stop talking about the top shelf martins and liquor, the fabulous food, and amazing service.

The best decision I made was #1 getting my wedding dress at Vera wang and #2 having my wedding at the trump - it's half the price of th four seasons and pennisula with out the stuck up attitude and you get hT you pay for, amazing service and people who care!

Thank you to everyone at the trump who made my ending fabulous,

My room was AMAZING I had a 270 degree view of the lake, river, and city....you can't find fault in this hotel.

The one and ONLY con is $71 for valet- yikes! But the Weston is $65 and who really wants to stay at th eating for $89 a night?

The room, room service, food, and banquet service was the best id ever seen and I'm a ritz Carlton, 4 seasons kind of a girl. I'm so glad I had my wedding here and not at the Waldorf historia, four seasons, or pennisula.... It was just a much better experience and I felt like a princess for 2 whole days! Thank u cyndi!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your recent nuptials. I am so pleased to read your feedback of your experience at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and your wonderful appraisal of Cyndi, our banquets team and the service you received. It is truly an honor to have hosted your special occasion and I am delighted you were happy with your decision to share your celebration with us. We certainly look forward to future visits in coming years.

Morton, Illinois
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Love that they remember you from one visit to the next and the room size and amenities are great. The location makes it easy to get to everything. The extras for our child make it just a little more special. Best way to surprise and delight.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for returning to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and for your ongoing loyalty to our hotel. I am very pleased to learn that our location makes your visits more convenient and that your child feels special during your stays. We certainly look forward to welcoming your family's next stay in the near future.

memphis, tn
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I will write me review in terms of pros and cons:
Pros-great concierge who can help with itinerary before arrival
-beautiful hotel and great walking distance to almost anywhere you want to go
-lovely room
Cons-we called ahead with a request for an early check in but ended up with a several hour late room availability with no explanation for delay. (They did send chocolates to apologize.)
-bed turn down service arrived at 9:40 the first night and 10:20 the next night, well after we had gone to bed (we were travelling with kids so no crazy nightlife for us). It woke us up both nights.
-we were given an extra hour grace period to check out, yet when we returned to our rooms, the housekeeper had already cleaned them and told us they weren't available anymore. (Our bags were already being held for us at the desk but no one told the poor housekeeper.)
-soap was never replenished in either room
So, overall it was just a decent experience. I just wish service had been better in the areas mentioned.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank popartpooch
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to learn of your positive experience with our Concierge team at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and I am happy to read you enjoyed the hotel itself. I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. While we cannot always guarantee early check in, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience with your room's availability being delayed, as well as the service lapses you encountered with housekeeping. We have shared your feedback and have taken this information onboard as an opportunity for improvement, however I also welcome you to please contact our Director of Rooms, Nienke Oosting, directly so that we may fully investigate your experience. You may reach her at noosting@trumphotels.com.

I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome your return as I trust you will find an improvement in regards to the areas you mentioned. We look forward to welcoming you back and restoring your confidence in our hotel.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

First class from the moment you step in. They treated our kids like royalty and when they came home the first night to personalized giant cookies and a glass of cold milk they were over the moon! Mr. Trump and his family believe in everything first class and while they are likely very demanding on their staff, it results in unsurpassed levels of service and quality.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read you and your family enjoyed your recent stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your children's experience on Trip Advisor. We certainly look forward to welcoming your next stay in the near future.

Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

The Trump goes above and beyond to help you and anyone with you feel welcomed. We stayed with our two kids and felt very welcomed. We also upgraded to a suite and it was perfect. We will be staying here again with the kids. When staying ask about complimentary parking, it's included in most of the packages.

Stayed December 2013
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with your family and that you recommend our hotel as family-friendly. We are always happy to welcome children and we certainly appreciate your recognition in this regard.

We look forward to welcoming you and yours in the very near future.