“It Is The Little Things That Count The Most”

Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
Ranked #26 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I recently completed a one night stay at the Trump International Hotel. I live in the city of Chicago but periodically stay in the downtown hotels in order to get the visitor perspective. I use this experience so that I may offer recommendations to friends and family who visit from the East Coast either on business or for pleasure. I only allow certain family members to stay at my place. The others get shipped off to area hotels :)

Upon check in, we were warmly greeted by the front desk staff. Not the usual rushed and impersonal greeting. The young lady was genuinely glad to see us as if she knew us. We completed the check-in process with pleasant conversation. But what was most different from my experiences at other hotels, was the fact that the young lady came from around the desk and handed us our key cards and walked us to the elevator conversing the whole time with a pleasant smile. She pushed the button for our floor and sent us on our way. That was a great way to welcome a guest. I feel like a jerk now for not recalling her name, but I have not forgotten her professionalism. This was the theme throughout our stay. Not me being a jerk but the professionalism and customer service :) Every staff member we encountered was beyond helpful and professional. The bellman patiently took the time to show us our room and explain all the amenities. The room, by the way, is spectacular. My wife now has me going to every high end furniture store in the city to replace our current furniture with comparable Trump design. The bathroom is like a mini spa with a TV in the mirror. Now my wife can truly complain about me being in the bathroom too long. It was so relaxing in there, I was tempted to take a bath (please do not tell my buddies). My only complaint would be that the enclosed shower was a little tight. I needed just a little more elbow room. But I am being picky, or perhaps I just need to drop a few pounds......no, I am being picky.

Back to the service. Again we only stayed one night but the staff had treated us like we were there for a month. The pool was amazing. The location can't be beat as the area of Kinzie and Hubbard is the place to be for great dining and nightlife. Trump International will be the first hotel I recommend from now on. Great experience. Job well done. Thank you.

2  Thank 2ndCity
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and that you would recommend our hotel as a great experience to your friends and family.

I sincerely appreciate your positive comments regarding our facilities and the warm greeting and professional service you were provided by our front desk and bellman.

Thank you kindly for your review on TripAdvisor. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome your return in the near future.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

After spending 3 terrible nights in the Intercontinental Hotel in Chicago I decided to move to the Trump International for my rest 3 nights and that was the best decision I took.

Since our arrival we experimented being special. We were greeted by our name (believe it or not they were expecting us) and walk directly to the check in were we were handed warm lavander towels. I upgraded us to a suite with a river view and that was simple amazing, what a room...what a view !!!

Can´t praise enough this hotel but specially the service is what impressed me more (specially after coming from the Intercontinental where they have no idea what the word service means). The staff was always smiling and couldn´t do more to keep us happy.

We booked tours with David in Concierge. Had wonderful breakfasts in the Sixteen Restaurant (you have to try their pancakes and waffles), and even ordered it to the room one morning and it was set beautifully in the dining room table with flowers.

Lots of complimentary things like Internet, a house car that takes you around to nearby places, Business Centre, water delivered everyday to the room, my kids received 2 Cokes and 2 potato chips bags...they really make you feel you are not being squeezed for money.

I also ordered some things through Internet and they were promptly delivered to the room without charge (and I mention this because in the Intercontinental they charge you shipping & storage for any package you receive....).

This hotel is really a must go if you visit Chicago. Can´t praise it enough, I simply loved it !

Room Tip: If possible book the room with a river view...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your positive review of your recent stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. I am very pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your time spent with us.

I truly appreciate your appraisal of not only our facilities, but also the level of service you received from our team. Thank you also for your kind remarks about Sixteen, our in room dining service, and your recognition of our concierge and amenities.

I do hope you will be returning to visit us again in the near future; we certainly look forward to welcoming your return.

Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Everything was excellent The location
The valet parking the stuff in the checking
The room Are beautiful And very clean
The stuff in the breakfast Was Helpful And they give us everything we need And ask Even if it's not in the menu

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Yigaldoga
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for choosing Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review of your visit. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our facilities and staff.

I do hope you will be returning to visit again in the near future; we certainly look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have stayed here once before, in 2010. It was my birthday at that time. I could not have asked for a better stay, it was spectacular. I opened the door to a little cake and card wishing me Happy Birthday, I was unexpectedly upgraded from my regular room to a one bedroom suite, with glorious views of the river up to the lake, the clock tower, Michigan Ave, I was just in awe, just mesmerized. This time was also spectacular, with a couple exceptions, but with a couple more "wow's" also.

I reserved a one bedroom suite, since liking it so much last time, but with a "city view" and it was the "Suite Deal" that included a food and beverage credit, which we used for dinner, and a breakfast credit also, which was enough for the two of us in the morning. Delicious. And having room service in the room is always wonderful. Valet parking was ALSO included. It's such a good deal, you really can't pass it up. I guess I was secretly hoping they would graciously pop me over to the river view side, as nicely as they did before, (though then it was my birthday) I did request it with the attache', and also commented on my Trump Card profile how I love the river views. But alas, my beautiful suite this time had the view of an office bldg. with people working in it. But that is what I reserved, and I was getting such a great deal, it turned out to not really be an issue. (But now I do know for next time, I will always reserve the river side! :)

One other thing also was I had mentioned prior to arrival was that we needed the sofa bed ready, since a friend was coming along with me this trip. It was not made, and no extra blankets were to be found. Ok, we let it go for now, no big deal, thinking maybe turn down service did that later.

In the meantime, I called for an extra blanket, (we thought too, she could just sleep on the couch, without pulling it out, though we would need a blanket.) Just as I got a glass of water, put some ice in it, then sat down, the doorbell is ringing, and there are my extra blankets. It made me smile, as if this nice gentleman were just standing in the hall, waiting for someone to call and request extra blankets, he was there is a zip. Then I arrange the blankets, sit down again, and the phone rings. "This is housekeeping, did you get your blankets" (Smile) funny to me again, I just ask for a blanket and they can't do enough for you, it was great. They then did come later to do the sofa bed, about 9:45pm. He was sincerely apologizing for being late, very nice and quick.

Also night service tech was wonderful, did so much more than just turn down the bed. She was efficient and very nice. She noticed we had used our coffee pods, and she said house keeping would come to refill, but they never did, it was late anyway so we didn't worry about it. But then again, I mentioned it to the dining service as I was ordering breakfast, and 1,2,3, ZIP...doorbell....here are your coffee pods. Smile again...He even had two different kinds, not knowing which one I wanted.

I was thinking geeze, when something rough happens in the world and you think, boy, there just aren't any nice people left in the world, that's because they're all at the TRUMP!

Room Tip: RIver View, River View
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank NancyKay

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to return to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful birthday experience before and returned as a result of the service you received.

While I am happy to read your appraisal of our staff quickly and efficiently attending to your needs, I would like to extend my apologies that the sofa bed was not prepared as you had requested.

I look forward to an opportunity to welcome your return to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago in the near future.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

From the moment our family arrived the staff bent over backwards to ensure we were taken care of. We were unexpectedly upgraded to a suite at check-in and the staff at the front desk even presented our 9yr. old grandson with a hotel ball cap. Needless to say, this left a very good impression on my wife and I. The concierge informed us of the complimentary car for short trips and we utilized this a couple of times while visiting the sights in Chicago. Even the morning coffee in the lobby was excellent and my wife wants to know what brand it was (if anybody knows). The only downside I could think of was that the pool was shut down for two of the three nights we were there and this disappointed my grandson somewhat but I don't believe it was the Hotels fault. The room was beautiful and the view was unbelievable so as far as we are concerned, Trump Towers is the #1 hotel in Chicago!

I would recommend that anyone who would like to visit some of the sights that they buy tickets early and get there before they open as the lines were enormous and the wait sometimes lasted for hours. This was true for the Willis Tower, the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum.
Thanks.

Jack And Beth

1  Thank Jack5581894
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and for taking the time to post a detailed review of your recent stay. While I am very happy to read your positive comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies that our pool was closed. Unfortunately this was due to one of our guest's becoming under the weather during their time there. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to our hotel in the near future and continue to remain the #1 hotel in Chicago.

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 6 days as 2 family groups in adjoining suites. I would have rated our stay as excellent except for 1 extremely upsetting problem at check in. I had reserved 2 suites for my family and my sisters family, the thought was this would ensure they were connecting suites and decrease the chance of errors with the reservation.There were several telephone calls and emails ahead of time where the attaché asked for lots of details, arrival times, kids names and ages etc. I did correspond in writing that one half of our reservation would be arriving earlier and my half of the reservation would be arriving later in the evening. I gave my sister the confirmation number and told her the reservation was under my name and did tell attaché the other half of the reservation would be arrjving earlier in the email. They replied back that they had made a note of everything and everything was in order for our arrival. They did not ask for any additional information, and I did not imagine any further information could possibly be necessary. We were in the air when my sister arrived and the front desk would not let her and her husband and 2 small children check in despite the fact they had the confirmation number and my name and 2 of the children listed in the detailed info hotel requested about children. My sister and I also have the same last name. I was mortified to discover on my arrival in Chicago that they had been out in the streets in cold weather with a 1 and 3 year old for hours because they could not check in without me! I wish the attaché would have explained to me how to avoid this in advance, especially as I had taken the trouble to correspond with them in time consuming and at the time seemingly excessive detail, but still, apparently not the detail they needed to anticipate and avoid this very upsetting incident.
On better notes, housekeeping and spa staff and doormen and valets were extremely attentive and pleasant. They anticipated needs very well, for example if you asked for more coffee one day, remembered and gave you it every day. Turndown service fantastic and always accurate. Lots of nice details in rooms and throughout hotel. Kitchens a plus with small kids. It was nice to get some basic items stocked in room by attaché ahead of time so kids could have their usual fare at bedtime first night after long trip. Nice uncrowded gym and pool. Great location. We could walk to Art Institute, Navy Pier and Mag Mile easily. Lovely views of this picturesque city. Valet parking very expensive. If you stay here just cab it everywhere if not up for walking as cheaper and easier than driving. Unfortunately check in problem cast a shadow over entire stay.

• Stayed: March 2013
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago.

While I am happy to read your positive comments of our team and the service you were provided, please accept my sincerest apologies that you were left to feel disappointed by your check-in experience. I can truly appreciate what an inconvenience it was for you and your family. I assure you, we have investigated your comments and will take this feedback onboard as an opportunity for our improvement.

I do hope you will allow us the occasion to restore your confidence in our hotel.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed 4 nights March 23rd-28th for our spring break with our two children (ages 5 & 1/2 and almost 4 years old). All of us loved this hotel! As part of our "Kids in the City" package, we received an upgrade to a very lovely suite, so there was plenty of room. Very comfortable king-size bed, with a full-size pull out sofa (which was what you would expect as far as comfort). There was a fairly well equipped kitchen (no oven, though I think the microwave was a convection but I couldn't figure it out), and they provided extras, such as a blender, when requested. Rooms seemed pretty well sound-proofed.

We enjoyed room service for breakfast (good continental breakfast as well as kids said it was the best French toast). There was free coffee and tea in room, but they provided so much juice and coffee with breakfast that we never needed it.

We loved using the swimming pool in the spa (windows provided great view overlooking the river and Lake Michigan). The pool was a bit cool one day though and they have no hot tub, just sauna & steam rooms.

They have a house car that would give you a free ride one way drop off within 8 blocks (which we used once), but the location of this hotel was excellent so we walked to many of the sights.

The only thing we would comment on is that we had to point out ourselves some of the details included in our package, such as the room upgrade. I would recommend confirming your details in advance so you don't have to wait for the room when you arrive, for example. And I realized later that our kids never received their gift upon arrival (which was no big deal).

Overall, we all had a great experience and were sad to leave!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

I am very happy to read you and your family enjoyed your room, breakfast and our pool and that you were able to take advantage of the house car.

Our team at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago makes every effort to deliver upon the high standards we set ourselves. I would like to extend my sincerest apologies that we fell short of this in any way and that you had to point out details of your package to our staff. Your feedback will be taken onboard as an opportunity for our improvement.

We would still very much like your children to receive their gift. Please kindly contact my Executive Assistant, Julie Bridgeman, at jbridgeman@trumphotels.com and we would be happy to send them to you.

Colm T. O'Callaghan