“Not a typical hotel stay... Some pros and cons”
Review of Ruby Room

Ruby Room
Ranked #148 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 11, 2010

As a frequent traveler to Chicago (and previous resident), I wanted to get away from touristy Michigan Ave. I chose this hotel simply for the location in Wicker Park.
It's very close to the train and and an easy trip from O'Hare. We had a great time at all of the local shops, bars & restaurants. It's also fun just walking the neighborhood streets. The locals are generally young hipsters and yuppies... which makes for a fun experience. It's only approx $12 for a taxi to downtown / Michigan Ave. Or you can take the Blue Line directly to downtown in about 15-20 minutes.

As for the hotel itself, the staff was very helpful and very polite & the guestroom bed was very comfortable. I might consider staying here again, but it would have to have a much better room rate and/or upgrades to the decor and service.

I would not recommend The Ruby Room to everyone for the following reasons:
- limited "reception desk" hours
- no daily cleaning services unless requested on a chalkboard outside your room
(we has to request fresh towels every morning)
- no elevator, all rooms are 3rd and 4th floor walk-ups
- decor was sparse & rather lack-luster (the lounge chair in our room was very dirty and stained)
- no dressers or drawers for storage
- window curtains where no frills & a bit annoying to open and close
- no views (at least from our room and presumably many of the others based on the floor plans)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelsnob18

Reviewed May 6, 2010

Stayed one night. Picked this location to be close to my business meeting location. I found the place (a very old building) charming and different. Yes, you do have to climb two flight of stairs to get to the rooms. Room was large, furnished ok, bright and very comfortable. Agree with the others on the bed, it was great. And the bathroom was completely up to date with a steam feature to the shower which was great. I had room 3A and it was at the front of the building so I could hear traffic late into the night, as well as voices from people walking by returning from bars/dinner outside. I would pick another room the next time, further back. The no TV was a nice break for me (or else it would have been on). It is an old building, so you can hear people coming and going, but everyone was as quiet as they could be. Definitely a different experience (more like staying at a hotel in Europe). The price was good and the front desk staff (in the spa area) were extremely nice. Not the place for you if you need a full service hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank AASeattleFlyer
Reviewed November 5, 2009

This is a very charming Hotel, beautiful designed rooms, great shower... our stay was just great!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I spent a romantic night here with my husband, and we thoroughly enjoyed everything about our stay. We loved the room, it was cozy and the interiors are lovely and not over-designed. The bed was incredible, and the bedding was outstanding- we slept so soundly. If you like the idea of finding a very comfortable room, and being left alone to enjoy it, this is your place. If you demand an immediate check-in, room service, a stocked mini-fridge, and a tv, this is not your place. The location and the neighborhood are awesome- tons of unique, locally-owned restaurants and shops that you won't find downtown. We also stayed in a "boutique" hotel downtown that wasn't nearly as comfortable or as charming, everything was "for sale", and it cost more than our stay at the Ruby Room. My husband and I agreed that we want to stay here every time that we come to Chicago.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I found this hotel after a last-minute Google Maps revelation. I was in the first few days of a road trip and my boyfriend and I would be passing through Chicago for a night. I'd booked a room at the South Loop Hotel in Chicago, but after checking out the location it didn't look like it would be nearly as fun as staying somewhere else. I found the Ruby Room and, although the prices weren't as good as I'd hoped, I went to their website to get more information. I was surprised to find that their direct rates were at least $50/night lower than those advertised on hotels.com, so I booked directly through them on their website and was so glad I did.

We arrived and parked in the loading zone in front of the spa. Kelly at the front desk was extremely nice and helpful from the minute we walked in, and worked with us to schedule an energy healing session with Ryan later that afternoon. We got our keys and parking information and hauled our stuff up the long, steep stairs to our room - with the help of another employee, who carried some of our bags up the stairs and showed us around before leaving us to relax. We took a nap, got some coffee and pastries from the great bakery right across the street, and then went to the spa to meet with Ryan. We both had wonderful experiences with him and were left feeling relaxed and ready to take on the rest of the city for the night. Kelly again helped us with detailed directions to the places we wanted to go and gave us some great restaurant and bar suggestions. After dinner and a movie, we walked the blocks surrounding the hotel for an hour and enjoyed the neighborhood.

In the morning, we reluctantly got out of our VERY comfortable bed and enjoyed the marble steam shower in our suite before heading across the street to Milk & Honey for one of the best breakfasts we've ever had. We hated to leave the hotel and wished we were staying for another week! When we got home, we had a very nice postcard from the staff thanking us for staying with them - they even made a personal note based on what we'd told them about our plans for the rest of the trip.

The Ruby Room was one of the highlights of our trip and I'd stay there again (OR MOVE IN!) in a second and advise anyone else to do the same.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank metalhearts
Reviewed October 2, 2009

This was the ideal location for us. Free on street parking. Free WiFi. One block from the Blue Line. Great restaurants nearby. Easy access to freeway. Close to our son's apartment who we came to visit. Good value at $100 per night.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2009

My wife joined me on a business trip to Chicago last week. We were looking for somewhere outside of the Loop, and found the Ruby Room as it had a great price and great location in Wicker Park. We were blown away at how nice and relaxing the room was, loved the "steam room" feature of the showers, and really dug the area. There are hip, young bars and restaurants nearby. Late check-in was super easy, and the staff was helpful when I needed to fax a document. This place is classic Chicago. With this place, you trade full-service for a great location and cool room. Who needs a bell boy? I would and will definitely go back!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business