As a frequent traveler to Chicago (and previous resident), I wanted to get away from touristy Michigan Ave. I chose this hotel simply for the location in Wicker Park.
It's very close to the train and and an easy trip from O'Hare. We had a great time at all of the local shops, bars & restaurants. It's also fun just walking the neighborhood streets. The locals are generally young hipsters and yuppies... which makes for a fun experience. It's only approx $12 for a taxi to downtown / Michigan Ave. Or you can take the Blue Line directly to downtown in about 15-20 minutes.
As for the hotel itself, the staff was very helpful and very polite & the guestroom bed was very comfortable. I might consider staying here again, but it would have to have a much better room rate and/or upgrades to the decor and service.
I would not recommend The Ruby Room to everyone for the following reasons:
- limited "reception desk" hours
- no daily cleaning services unless requested on a chalkboard outside your room
(we has to request fresh towels every morning)
- no elevator, all rooms are 3rd and 4th floor walk-ups
- decor was sparse & rather lack-luster (the lounge chair in our room was very dirty and stained)
- no dressers or drawers for storage
- window curtains where no frills & a bit annoying to open and close
- no views (at least from our room and presumably many of the others based on the floor plans)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Best in the City" - Chicago Magazine.Ruby Room Hotel & Spa is one of Chicago's most unique overnight destinations. Just 8 minutes from downtown, in the heart of historic Wicker Park's restaurant, shopping and nightlife scene.Modeled in the European tradition, Ruby Room is neither a hotel nor a traditional B&B. Our concept is that of relaxation. By design, we do not offer telephones or televisions. We do not offer 24 hour reception or bellman services. We make a practice of not entering your room during your stay, unless requested. Ruby Room is a historic property and does not offer an elevator. Please keep this in mind, if you or any of your guests have a challenge with mobility. What we do offer are outrageously comfortable pillow top mattresses with 500 thread count linens, large marble and glass showers, 4 of which are equipped with commercial steam units along with complimentary AVEDA products. Crown molding and fine woodworking throughout. Modern furniture peppered with antiques, new community kitchen, gorgeous garden with waterfall and all a part of a day spa, hair salon, yoga studio, two retail boutiques, 5,000 square foot health club and a serene healing sanctuary. If you're looking for something super clean and relaxing, we offer a restful room attached to a unique spa in a super cool neighborhood. Your peace is our passion. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your Ruby Room reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ruby Room Chicago
- Ruby Room Hotel Chicago