“Quiet and relaxing”

Ranked #148 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Quiet and relaxing”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This review is for the hotel. My husband and I stayed at the Ruby Room for the weekend and loved the unique experience. I didn't have an issue with no elevator or the limited reception hours. The staff makes everything easy even if they're not around. There was a chalkboard in the hall where you could write requests. We needed more toilet paper, wrote it on the board, and in the morning it was waiting for us outside our room.

Liked:
- large, comfortable bed
- steam shower
- quiet and relaxing environment
- great service
- perfect location (great restaurants and shops within walking distance)

Disliked:
- parking was a little hard to find.
- no black out curtains so the room was very bright early in the morning.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alyjay13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sacramento
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We live out of state & had a family medical emergency in Chicago. The staff of The Ruby Room bent over backwards to work with us to secure lodgings despite the short notice. They were caring and helpful. The location was perfect--a short walk to the hospital, a variety of restaurants to catch a bite to eat. The room was an oasis at a very stressful time--quiet, clean, comfortable, and free Wi-Fi to keep in touch with other family members. Thank you, Ruby Room.

Room Tip: No elevator
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank J W
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our family lives in the western part of Chicago, so the hotels on Michigan Ave. were too far for us. Ruby Room was a great find!
Pluses: Lovely, spacious room, comfortable bed, nice sitting area, good bathroom, free wi-fi. Small kitchen available on the guest floor with free coffee (that you have to make yourself.) Great neighborhood with shops, restaurants and bars in walking distance.
Minuses: No TV! No check-in after 6 PM -- they just leave a key and instructions in a box next to the door. 3rd or 4th floor walk-up. Housekeeping does not come in during your stay except at your request, so we could not get extra towels for our morning shower.
Despite all the minuses, especially now that I know about them (I'll request extra towels with my reservation next time!) I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eyechick
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel is nice and I likes the possibility to have a yoga session. This I had to pay extra for but it was always possible for me to take part. The room was nice with a good bed, but there where no staff around and that could be problematic. The location was nice with walking distance to restaurants etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AgnesFurst
rubyroom, Owner at Ruby Room, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
AgnesFurst, thank you for your feedback. We are actually opened 7 days a week with evening hours in the spa, beauty bar and retail location right next door. Please stop by for a tour next time you visit. Best, John
chicago
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed in 3B - third floor walk up, right above a great yoga studio and adjacent to the shared kitchen. My room was lovely - well appointed and very clean, nice linens, steam shower in the small bathroom and really good reading lights. The neighborhood is wonderful - tons of independent shops and restaurants and perhaps the best bakery in Chicago is right across the street. Michigan Ave is a 15 min. bus ride away. The garden in the back is quite nice. You carry your own bags up 3 or 4 flights of a very narrow staircase, there are no bellmen, and no maid service during your stay unless you ask. I loved being next to the kitchen, I had SleepyTime tea and a steam shower every night, and the internet was very fast. I took a yoga class, used the affiliated gym down the street, had a croissant while sitting outside at the great bakery, did a little high-end shopping at the boutiques and worked using the surprisingly fast internet connection. My only regret is that I did not have a massage. The bed was a little soft for my taste, but in the grand scheme of things, that's not a biggie. 15 min bus ride to downtown, excellent place to walk around. Facility is very quiet and peaceful.

Room Tip: 3B - right across a gangway from a building with windows but the room was so nice I didn't reall...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mary612
rubyroom, Owner at Ruby Room, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Mary1960, Thank you so very much for your kind words. It makes everything we do that much more special when our guests truly enjoy our concept and community. Please come and visit us again. Best, John
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I had another opportunity to stay at the Ruby Room, and I have to say I was very pleased with the accommodations the second time around. My first stay was the "perfect storm" of unfortunate events, however, I felt I should comment on how pleasant and relaxed I felt when I left after my second stay! I would recommend the Ruby Room to anyone wanting to feel pampered on their trip to Chicago!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dianne O
Zionsville, Indiana
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Our room was lovely - an extremely comfortable bed and a very nice shower. Wicker Park is such a fun neighborhood with so much more personality than downtown. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Chicago.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AandAH
rubyroom, Owner at Ruby Room, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
AandAH, we look forward to seeing you again. Please check in with the front desk on new restaurant recommendations. We are blessed with so many great options right here on division street. Best, John