“Something Different”

Ranked #146 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Los Angeles, California
“Something Different”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I have stayed here 5 times for business and I love the charm and uniqueness of this small hotel.Great location to shops and restaurants. The rooms are simply and tastefully designed as well as the bathrooms with clean and classic marble all over. I appreciate the no TV, and the free hi-speed internet. The front desk staff is warm and accommodating but know that if you arrive after 6 pm you just need to call or email and let them know so they can make alternative arrangements to get your keys to you which is super easy. Yes, the guest rooms are up 2-3 flight(brownstone) of stairs but we all need a little exercise. It's super convenient to public transportation. This is my go to place every time I travel to Chi-town!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank GAYLE B
rubyroom, Owner at Ruby Room, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Gayle, we can't thank you enough for your kind words. Best, John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

Despite having travelled extensively for both work and pleasure, a recent stay at Ruby Room has compelled me to write my very first review of a hotel room. On the third day of a 5 day booking, my wife noticed the bottoms of her slippers (you know, the ones real hotels provide gratis) had turned from white to black. As we were initially pleased that the room had hardwood flooring since hardwood flooring is much easier to keep clean as opposed to carpeting, this was troubling. Subsequently while searching for an earring my wife had dropped, we lifted the bed skirt to discover a trove of dust bunnies which had been accumulating for at least a month. While the bed was great and the bathroom was fine, we were very disappointed as cleanliness is a basic expectation. Ruby Room should do much better.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JTinTO
rubyroom, Owner at Ruby Room, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Mr. Tinto, Thank you very much for taking the time to write this note. Your right, we should do much better. Our hardwood flloors are a challenge to keep dust free, but your honest feedback has been the catalyst for a change in our property and how we maintain it. Please feel free to contact me directly next time your visiting. I'd love to offer you a complimentory nights stay as a gesture of thanks. You can reach me directly at john@rubyroom.com.
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Arrived at 10 pm to find no one available. After calling the number provided, we were told the key was in a mailbox. We went up 3 flights of fire escape type stairs in a light rain. It was impossible to bring anything but bare essentials. There were 2 iron chairs and a bag of garbage blocking the entrance to the door. I had to move it to enter. There was a second door to enter the room, that we discovered upon entering, IT WAS UNLOCKED! My partner had to park about 3 blocks away. At 10 pm he had to pass a liquor/old bodega type store. He was accosted by 4 junkies and a derelict trying to sell him a pack of gum for $5.00. There was no TV, but the bed was comfortable. There was very little room to put your things in bathroom. The shower was very hot or cold, no in between. We left as quickly as we could in the morning and would never be back.

Room Tip: Always read the reviews!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dianne O
rubyroom, Owner at Ruby Room, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dianne, I really wish we would have had the chance to connect while you were here to make this right. We admittedly do not shine when a guest comes late and leaves early. We are a small urban Inn and do not offer 24 hour front desk personnel. We go to great lengths to communicate this in our website, booking engine and pre arrival correspondence. I left your room door open personally, as we were onsite cleaning up after an event. With over 9,000 happy guests staying with us annually, I would welcome and appreciate the opportunity to meet with you personally to arrange your stay. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly next time you are in Chicago. The first night is on us and I promise you will leave with a smile. You can contact me anytime at john@rubyroom.com
Temple, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Bought a living social deal and took my mom for a 2 day trip during the week. The staff was very, very wonderful and gave all kinda of advice in where to eat and what to do on division. The street is super busy, lots of sirens, people and cars but I felt perfectly safe walking down the street to find some dinner. The hotel is about 3 doors down from the spa, and all rooms are on the 3rd or 4th floor and no elevator or help with bags...so pack light. A code has to be entered to get into the hallway, and room key to the room. We felt pretty safe but there is only a chain lock besides the door on lock. The room was so beautiful! Bed was so big and comfy my mom and I accidentally took a short nap before dinner. The bathroom was beautiful as well with a steam shower. Cabs to downtown north Michigan ave. were about $12 to $15 each way. Oh...there isn't a TV or phone in the room but they do have complimentary Internet. We brought books and listened to the calming CD. John (the owner) and the staff are the best. Please keep this place running and stay here.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank smilesunshine57
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed November 10, 2011

First here are the things I loved about the Ruby Room: large room, comfortable bed, great shower, free wireless, Aveda products for bath and I LOVED the decor, shabby chic with a very open floor plan, large chandelier, fainting couch, original trim and floors. Great price for the room, verses the higher-end trendy hotels in Chicago. Really appreciated staying in a true neighborhood verses the tourist areas.

Things I did not like so much: I was pregnant, and it was my first stay here...I was unaware that my room would be up 3 very steep flights of stairs with no elevator, and no one to assist me with my bags.... Check-in time is during the day, so if you have a later flight, plan on driving around to look for parking (no parking at this hotel either), then stumble up the stairs with your bags... My room door did not lock and was not locked upon arrival, and the staff did not seem to think it was a big deal. When you are a female travelling solo, IT IS. Since the building is older, the water heater kept turning on throughout the night which did keep me awake.

Overall, I really wished that the hotel staff would have been more clear on the accommodations. I would not stay here again if travelling solo, but would with a friend or partner.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Wolfvision
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Wow, a real hidden gem. As a bloke, it felt a little strange staying above a beauty treatment establishment, but wow what a good decision. The best accommodation I've stayed in for a long while. Relaxation is the key, beautiful un-cluttered room, excellent bed and bedding and a steam shower that was perfect.

This is a B&B so you have to arrange a time to pick up keys etc, but you are not staying in someone's house where you may feel uncomfortable, this is much more like an apartment experience.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough, right in the heart of the wicker park area, close to the metro, surrounded by some of the most cool places to go with plenty of car parking on the side streets.

Don't waste your pennies on an expensive hotel in Chicago, stay here!

Note: Not that I wanted to watch TV, just to note there is no TV in the room. WiFi and a CD player was more than enough for me.

Room Tip: Pick the rooms with the steam shower! :-)
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank matt_from_nottingham
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I was in town for a conference, held at McCormick place. Rather than stay at a high rise, high priced hotel, I searched out B&B's. I came across Ruby Room on BedandBreakfasts.com. It is not a typical B&B, as there is no breakfast, but what you do get is a private room with bath (actually shower) and access to a kitchen and garden seating area (seasonal). I was going to be past their usual check in time (7pm due to the front desk actually being part of the full service spa next door). This was no problem, they have a plan for that. During my 4 night stay, I split my time between the hip neighbourhood and downtown which is a $12ish taxi ride away. The taxi to McCormick Place was usually $14-16. I took advantage of the yoga studio on the second floor of the hotel and did a drop in class, and I also had a massage at the spa. The bakery across the street makes a great tuna on croissant which I took to the conference(the food a McCormick is expensive and pedestrian). The bed was wonderful. I stayed in 3C which had no view. There is no tv but there is free wifi. Should I be ashamed to say that I used the wifi to watch tv? It goes against their philosophy, but hey I don't have cable at home. I occasionally heard other guests in the halls, and once the yoga class had on some loud music, but this was early evening. I guess some people get put off by not getting new towels everyday, but really do you do that at home? If you need a concierge and front desk and daily cleaning up after you, then it's not for you. I would definitely recommend it if you have a history of travel such as this.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem for you, ask for the 3rd floor--no elevator.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business