“Terrible breakfast with bad service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Primehouse

Primehouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Primehouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #148 of 9,495 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Ontario Street
Transit: Red Line- State and Grand
Description: Primehouse in The James Hotel features a modern steakhouse menu with hand-picked meats that are dry-aged for 28 to 75 days in a Himalayan salt-tiled aging room on premise. An intimate destination for special gatherings, the Private Dining Room is a noteworthy addition to the steakhouse. Conceived as a modern interpretation of the classic "chef's table" meant for private dining, it serves to complement the progressive fare. #1 Steakhouse in Chicago by Chicago magazine, Best Burger in the U.S. by Food & Wine, Best Steakhouses in the U.S. by USA Today.
New York
“Terrible breakfast with bad service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

So surprising! The menu looked great - we ordered corned beef hash benedict, cooked crispy with extra sauce. It arrived neither crispy or with extra sauce. Just as well, because the sauce was tasteless. The potatoes tasted canned, they had obviously been cooked separately from the meat and then stirred together at the end. We also got the short rib brkfst sandwich. The short ribs had perfect texture but no flavor. The bagel was tough - though the carmelized onions were good. Even the hot chocolate tasted like nothing - not even as good as Swiss Miss!

None of us liked what we got. Perhaps it was just an off day?

2 Thank dp_2000NewYork

• Korean first
Regina, Canada
“Dry aged takes away the best part of a steak”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Went for supper. Selected the 28 dat dry aged Rib steak because I like a well marbled steak and they described the longer aged ones with disturbing terms (70 day has a "gamey" taste - if I want tough wild meat I'll hunt my own instead of ruining beef). Dry aging is not for me, the steak needed a sauce. The dry aging made a ribeye taste like a sirloin.

If you like dry aged, the service is fabulous. The atmosphere is great. Order a Canadian Club and it is free poured and very generous. A great restaurant but I will order a normal steak if I return.

Germantown, Tennessee
“A must when we're in Chicago”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I have visited Chicago twice. It was the lunch special that attracted my attention to this place. I wanted to try a great Chicago steak. This place did not disappoint. The steak was perfection but what I didn't expect was the lobster bisque. It had a "green apple essence" that I had not seen elsewhere. So delicious. The desserts were tasty works of art. When we went back the next summer, we made sure to head back here. Again, everything was great. Our server was swift and attentive without being bothersome. The decor is exactly what a world class steakhouse should be. If we go to Chicago for a third time, we will be going back again.

• Visited July 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Good, but not as Amazing as I thought it would be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Came here on a double date. The steak was good. The truffle mashed potatoes had great texture, but were bland. The James cocktail was awesome. Ceasar salads were made tableside, and we probably should have split it between me and my husband. We split the 55 day aged steak and there was more than enough food for both of us. Service was awesome, and the waitress was very nice. Dessert we ordered the doughnuts you fill with your choice of fillings and the cheesecake tree and both were awesome. Really expensive because everything is a la carte. The noise level in the room was very high and it was loud. It was hard to hear everyone at the table. Was a good experience, but probably won't visit again.

Dallas
“I am hungry just thinking about it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

This restaurant is attached to my new favorite hotel in Chicago call the James Hotel. Our waiter was very friendly and gave us a lot of background on the menu. His recommendations for sides were perfect. I picked the Lamb which was perfectly cooked. It was an experience to remember. Two thumbs up from me!

• Visited January 2013

Been to Primehouse? Share your experiences!