“Good Choice for Theater District/Loop”

Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District
Ranked #26 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our king room was exceptionally clean, well-maintained, and quiet. (I did ask for an upper floor room away from the elevator.) The staff, especially Oscar at the front desk, were all cheerful and helpful. The free breakfast buffet offered omelets, sausage or bacon, fruit, cereals, yogurt, etc. and was continually stocked. As others have mentioned, the hotel is close to el stops (Monroe-Blue and Monroe-Red), but there was no train or traffic noise in our room. There is only valet parking, $42 per day, which is reasonable for Chicago hotels. However, one minor drawback was that there is no grand entrance, only a few drop-off spaces at the curb on a busy one-way street. The actual front desk/lobby is some floors up. This hotel is definitely a good choice for a moderately priced, but not luxurious, accommodation in the Loop/Theater District. If you like staying in Hampton Inns, this is one of the best.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CZephyr
Leighann L, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Czephyr,

We are glad to know that you had a pleasant experience here at Hampton Majestic! We are a boutique hotel with not huge, but very comfortable rooms. There are few rooms per floor, so it does seem to make it a little quieter for our guests, and most people do not hear the street noise. Being that our rooms are up high, you are most likely are going to hear little to no noise. And being in a downtown hotel with high traffic volume makes it a plus when you can sleep peacefully as if you are in a cottage with neighbors a mile away!!! Thank you for your great review!!!

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Hampton Inn Majestic, we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Guest Experience Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,075)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for a quick fall break getaway, and we used hiltonhonors points to pay for our stay. This hotel has a very handy location if you arrive in Chicago through union station (we do) and if you do the aquarium, natural history museum,art museum, and Navy Pier. It was such a nice day when we went to navy pier that we walked back to the hotel. If it's not a nice day, it's an easy bus ride with the bus stops very close to the hotel. We did find that when the weather was rainy, we gave up and took a taxi to the water tower area and it wasn't too pricey, but this also would be a nice walk on a good weather day! The hotel itself was possibly the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at (tip the maid service well....they do a FABULOUS job!) I am a bit of a germaphobe, and my search of the room, bedding, and bathroom found it to be spotless! There was also no heavy scent of cleaner, which is nice as that usually sets my daughter's asthma off. We had a two queen bed room, and found it to have plenty of space. I read some reviews that did not like the "red" walls, however, we found them to be very restful and calming. They aren't a bright red more of a tasteful burnt sienna or spice color, and the room furniture is very unobtrusive and sleek. I felt that with the cleanliness and the great central location that this would be an ideal hotel for families with young children, however, we didn't see any during our stay, it was mainly a business crowd. The free breakfast was good, they had hot oatmeal every morning, and the typical cold pastries, plus a make your own waffle station which my daughter loved. What really made this hotel stand out was the staff, from the moment we arrived the bellman and front desk staff were extremely helpful. Every day the front desk staff took time to get me directions, maps and give me great suggestions! The bellmen took the time to get me turned around and started in the right direction (I am directionally challenged!), And the maid service was especially friendly, and made sure we had everything we needed in our room! And after we checked out, when we returned to pick up our luggage to leave, the wonderful young lady at the front desk made sure my daughter had a fresh baked cookie "for the road". The only complaint I could even think of, would be that the business travelers got up earlier than we did, and I could hear every room door slam as they exited (we never heard any "in room" noise), this woke me up, but not my daughter. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AmyNewPalestine

AmyNewPalestine,

We are so glad you chose to stay with us to explore our wonderful city!!! This is a big and fun place with lots of things to do; it’s hard to get bored! The transportation system in Chicago is pretty spectacular. You can pretty much get anywhere in Chicago and some surrounding areas by public transportation. This is always a plus for guests that travel into the city by train or plane. A lot of attractions are in pretty close distance, so yes on good day walking is definitely an option for most downtown attractions.

Thank you so much for your kind words towards our staff as a whole. We strive to do our best! We praise all of our employees, and it keeps them motivated to do their best, and it reflects on how our guests are treated as well. So thank you again, and we will definitely make sure that all of our staff knows about your wonderful review, and how you praised them! We can't wait to see you for your next Chicago adventure!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Recently I had business in three different zones of Chicago - downtown, far, far north, and Water Tower Place area. I chose the Hampton Inn Majestic because it was a few blocks from my first set of meetings - at DePaul University's downtown campus. I took a $30 shuttle ride in from O'Hare and found myself greeted at the door by two very helpful hotel staff members who pointed me toward the elevator for the quick ride to the 4th floor hotel lobby. Check-in was quick and friendly and I was off to my 9th floor room. The room was larger than I expected and well appointed. Large closet, large bathroom, comfortable bed, large desk with easy access to outlets, and quiet. It was only after I was checked in and began to explore the area that I discovered what a delightful and practical choice I had made. Out the door and to the east and around the corner was the Red Line train (which I used for my Water Tower area appointments and far north appointments), out the door and to the west and around the corner was the Blue Line train (I went back to O'Hare on the Blue Line for $2.25). Right next door is the American Express Theatre where the pre-broadway production of Kinky Boots had just opened. The Art Museum and Millenium Park are a couple of blocks to the east, as is the Symphony Hall. Lots of restaurants of every sort are nearby as well. A hearty breakfast is on offer in the 4th floor lobby of the hotel every morning as are two computers and a printer. Given the languges I heard spoken at breakfast I felt like I was in Europe. The hotel is obviously very popular with French, Spanish, and German tourists. I would definitely stay at this hotel when I am next in Chicago.

Room Tip: Quieter on the north side of the hotel - but not very attractive views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TomX

TomX,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review! We do have a lot of business clients that choose to stay in this location due to the convenience, so we’re glad to know that you were pleased with your experience!

Downtown Chicago is a big area, so it is really helpful to know where things are, and have knowledgeable people to help newcomers, and business people get around the city. It makes the experience much better for everyone! Plus, our team loves to help!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Had a wonderful time and the hotel and staff was amazing and very helpful. Janessa Andrews, a staff member here, was extremly helpful and friendly and made me feel very welcome :) Our room was great and the staff was excellent at house keeping. Breakfast was delicous and over all it was a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Cheyanne,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience here at Hampton Majestic. We are so glad to hear about your wonderful adventure! I am so glad that you were able to receive such fantastic service from Janessa. She is a great asset to our team. I will make sure to recognize her for the excellent service that she provided to you.. All of our team members strive to make every guest feel welcome therefore it is nice to be praised when we do something to affect a guest positively and they remember our names. We hope that if you ever make it back to Chicago you will join us again for another experience!!!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Hampton Inns are usually pretty simple and the same no matter what city, but the Majestic has a unique look. Our rooms felt similar to those in a Kimpton Hotel in the same area, but for a fraction of the price. The location was perfect, between two Metra stops & just a short walk to Michigan Ave. Service was great- everyone we met was friendly and helpful.

Rooms are modern, large and very, very clean- I couldn't believe how spotless our bathroom was. I loved the design of the converted-office rooms, floor to ceiling curtains, dark furniture and wish I could have taken the velvety side chair home with me. The beds could have been better and weren't as comfortable as we're used to while traveling, but we slept well enough. Breakfast was good with lots of options each morning. Seating was limited each time we passed through the lobby so plan to eat in your room or wait for a table. They had coffee & tea available 24/7, lemonade in the afternoon and cookies in the evening.

I was surprised most by something that happened the week before we arrived. The credit card I'd used to guarantee my reservations had been stolen & canceled, so the staff contacted me to update my information because it was a sold out weekend. It would have been completely within their rights to cancel my reservations (because my card was declined), re-book the rooms at a much higher price, and leave my friends & I stranded in Chicago trying to find a hotel room for under $250+/night. Instead they took the time to contact me first to ensure I was coming & switch them to my new card number. It was more work on their end, but it allowed us to have a great weekend with friends at a beautiful hotel. Now I won't stay anywhere else when I'm in the Chicago area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Amanicen,

First we would like to thank you for your review. It is always a pleasure to hear from the guest's prospective. As a hotel, it lets us know what pleases our guests.

Location is very important for people that come to the downtown area because they usually have a certain type of agenda and want to be in a specific area, so being located near the majority of the public transportation and shopping definitely is a plus. Thank you for acknowledging the cleanliness, as our housekeeping team strives for perfection, and it is nice to know that we exceed those expectations!!!!

We are so glad that we could help you with your card discrepancies. Some things are out of your control such as your situation, so we do our best to keep our guests informed as much as possible. Which is why we are 100% satisfaction guaranteed!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

There was 26 of us staying at the Hampton Inn Majestic for a Nebraska vs Northwestern game. The hotel accommodated all of us on 2 floors. Everything was close by. The rooms were clean and very quiet. The staff was very friendly. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Leighann L, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Maureen6519,

We would like to thank you for sharing your wonderful experiences with us at Hampton Majestic! We do our best to accomodate our guests and make them feel at home. Sports events are one of the many fun events that happen in our city, so we are glad you chose to stay with us! Our location is one thing we pride on because it makes it really convenient for the majority of the guests that stay here. It was a fun experience having you all here, and we would definitely love to have you back again for another game!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I choose this hotel based on the Trip Advisor reviews and it's location. I was not disappointed. The hotel was clean and quiet with a nice breakfast. It is attached to the Majestic Theater. There were no productions while I was there but this is certainly a great place to stay if seeing a show at the Majestic. The location is perfect for an arrival at the O'Hare airport since the train from the airport practically drops you off at the hotel's entrance. It was very convenient not to have to change subway lines. The location is also convenient to shops, restaurants, the art museum, millenium park and other attractions. There is a bus 1 block away on State Street that will take you to the Navy Pier. I was able to walk up to the John Hancock Center. It was a long walk but a nice way to experience the city. I was going to buy a 3 day transit pass but I found it was cheaper to pay as I went. I highly recommend this hotel for the location and reliable Hampton Inn brand hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Leighann L, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

travmama,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences! It sounds like you were able to get out and about in our beautiful city and truly enjoy it. I am so glad to hear that our location was perfect for your travel needs. Being in the loop truly does help our guests see more of the city. It's a shame the Bank of America Theatre was in between shows during your visit. This December The Book of Mormon opens downstairs and I think they are going to be around a while! (Currently extended through June) So, make sure to come back and see us and take in a great new Broadway show!