“Best. Birthday. Ever.”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #47 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 9, 2011

Do you enjoy being pampered, unbridled 5-star luxury, and prefer service being served with a smile? If you answered YES to any of the above, then The James is the place for you.

This past weekend I spent my 23rd birthday in Chicago. After scouring the 'net for hotel deals (for some reason people avoid traveling to areas where it snows in the winter--being from Texas, I relish it), I came across The James at $139/night through Travelzoo.com. Alone this would be a total steal (rooms generally run ~$250/night), and ON TOP of that a $100 food/beverage voucher was included for use at either David Burke's Primehouse, their in-house bar/lounge JBar, or In-Room Dining (more on that later).

A separate spiel must be made for their concierge service/staff. A week or so before arriving I had e-mail correspondence with Daisy (such a pleasure to communicate with), to have "The Anniversary" amenity (a bottle of champagne along with these delicious bite-size brownie morsels topped with raspberries) awaiting my guest and I in our room before arrival. However, when we arrived--the amenity was not in our room. Not a big deal, I called down and they had someone send it up in under 5 minutes. But, the little card to accompany the surprise was not included. Again, no big deal. Thought nothing of it.

Fast forward to the next day, my actual birthday. My guest and I hit the town for the majority of the day, returning early evening. Upon entry, I notice the card from yesterday WITH a plate of cookies (how thoughtful, I say to myself). THEN, I turn the corner to find a plate of birthday cupcakes with my OWN card signed by the entire concierge staff? Yes indeed, the sweetness overrunneth. FINALLY, as my guest and I sit down to enjoy piping hot Giordano's (the best in the city)--there's a knock at the door. It's Mirna the head concierge to apologize for forgetting the card yesterday and for the delayed delivery of the champagne with a tray of breadsticks and ice-cold beer !!! How did they know this would be the perfect addition to our meal?!? I have no idea, I just know I love them for it.

Other Pros:
Kiehl's bath products. Luxurious.
Nightly turn-down service. Stayed two nights, two different cookies on my pillow.
Room Service. See below

After spending a few bucks at JBar before hitting the town the night before, we still had the majority of our food/beverage voucher to use the next morning before checkout. We. Went. Crazy. James Omelette for me (tri-tip steak, mushrooms, truffle oil, asiago cheese), Belgian Waffle for my guest. Hashbrowns, ham, juice, milk, & coffee to share. In a word? Delicious. Best room service I've ever eaten. They serve 24-hours a day too, including an enticing "late-night" menu which I'm surprised my guest and I didn't take advantage of--I think we passed out on the 300-thread count sheets before we picked up the phone.

Cons?
That I had to leave. You'll be seeing me again soon, James. Thanks for everything, you were the perfect start to a new birth year.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChicChels
TheJamesGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2011

ChicChels-

Best.Review.Ever.

Thank you and Happy Birthday! We're thrilled to have celebrated with you and appreciate the great comments. I am sorry for the amenity issues, but glad the team took ownership and did everything to make it right. Totally agree on the James Omelette, except everyone once and a while I'll customize it with spinach, goat cheese and benton bacon (best bacon on the planet!). We're happy to let you create your own master piece!

If not before, we'll see you next March for your 24th!

Reviewed March 6, 2011

Ive stayed here for biz and pleasure. It is always a great stay. The rooms are clean and spacious. The beds are ultra comfortable and result in a solid sleep. The rooms are quiet as well. Great room service menu and close to city center. For all they offer I think a good value as well!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

MissHillNYC

Thank you for the great review! I appreciate your time and your business.

As a frequent guest, I'd love to get your feedback over the next few months as we execute a series of upgrades and amenity enhancements throughout the hotel. I am confident you'll enjoy!

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed March 3, 2011

Great hotel near the Mile. Excellent facilities with an outstanding gym. Rooms, beds, bathroom, etc all clean, modern and fresh. I've been staying here for several years now and plan to return again next year.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business

m0rrisey-

Thank you for your continued business. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor nation.

Appreciate the shout out about our gym. As one of our original partners founded Equinox fitness, you can imagine that having a state of the art, full service facility was important to us! More importantly, The Gym is complimentary and exclusive to our guests. No waiting for the treadmill at The James.

Thanks again and if not before, see you next year!

Reviewed March 1, 2011

The rooms are modern and clean. More than a good rest and a great shower, this was a comfortable place to relax between events.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo

123gotraveler-

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your stay with us. I'm glad that your downtime between events was comfortable and relaxing.

I appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 1, 2011

Unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to be in the hotel yet. I had made a reservation for my anniversary but had mixed up the dates. After calling and fixing the issue I didn't worry about it when they charged my card. I assumed they just took payment ahead of time. I only found out they had charged for a no show after calling to add a day to the reservation. After calling 4-5 times I still have not gotten a solid response. Very upsetting

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank bassfrk7

bassfrk7-

Thank you for your comments and I apologize for the no-show charge. During my investigation of the incident, I learned that the matter was finally resolved with Jacque on March 1st. I apologize for it taking a few calls to get corrected and that we were unable make it right with you during a stay with us. I uderstand that you were unable to cancel your alternate reservations and therefore couldn't stay here. I hope to someday have the opportunity to welcome you to The James so we can look after you.

Reviewed February 28, 2011

The James Hotel provided all the amenities and service that one could wish for in a hotel. I stayed only one night but was amazed by the warm welcome, incredible staff and concierges suggestions. I would recommend this hotel with the highest praise to anyone looking for a wonderful boutique hotel in the center of Chicago.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Stayed at the James Feb 19-22 with a friend while using a promotion code we found a month earlier on TravelZoo that gave us a fantastic room rate with free valet parking (they charge $48 a night for valet alone). The deal couldn't compare to anything else we found while researching hotel options in the location. After seeing the hotel and the room we were assigned, we were blown away by the value we got with this promotion. The hotel itself is in a perfect location with pretty much everything you can think of close by - or just a short cab ride away. The building doesn't look like much from the outside, but once you step inside you realize immediately that the hotel is something quite different from the rest. This isn't like any hotel we ever stayed in before and the chic modern design and attention to style made our stay that much more special. There is a great pizza place just a couple blocks away (Giordano's... with a 1.5 hour wait that was definitely worth it) and there's a Starbucks, bank and grocery store right across the street in case you happen to have any urgent need for caffeine, cash or goodies. All the staff at the James we dealt with were great - they helped us find our way around the City and even loaned us a couple umbrellas on the rainy days. The only complaint we have is that the free WiFi service in the hotel is inconsistent and there were a few periods over our three night stay when we were not able to access the Internet to look up City information from our rooms on either of our computers. My friend said she was glad she wasn't there on business since it would have been very disconcerting. There were, however, computers in the lobby for guest use so we were able to obtain the information we needed easily. Overall, we had a great stay and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends