“Amazing accomidations for young honeymooners!”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #43 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Kalamazoo
“Amazing accomidations for young honeymooners!”
Reviewed October 18, 2010

My husband and I stayed at The James this past summer for our honeymoon. We had never been to Chicago so we really utilized the hotel staff in planning our adventures. Everyone was so friendly and helpful offering suggestions and directions. The room was incredible, and the in house bar made some great martinis!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Richmond, VA
Reviewed October 15, 2010

This hotel was AWESOME! I booked through expedia and got a great rate. The location was perfect, just off Michicgan Ave, just a few block to Navy Pier and just a few blocks from a metro station. The room was very nice, sort of a hip, cool vibe...but not too edgy. There is twice daily housekeeping, with a "turn-down" service at night, makes you feel special. the room was spotlessly clean. The front desk and door staff went out of their way to be helpful. They add a lot of nice touches. I wouldn't hesitate to book here again.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
chicago, illinois
Reviewed October 10, 2010

It depends how much you night ends up costing you. I was able to get a great rate which made the stay amazing. The bed is a bit too soft for my taste, and the sheets had a rough feel. We had a complimentary upgrade which includes a living area, but the bathroom had no tub (I love my bubble baths). The room was very large! The hallways at the James are dark and narrow though. It has a bit of a grungy feel when you're walking. The concierge service is wonderful. If you ask they will give you coupons to Bloomingdale's and various restaurants downtown. Room service was a bit slow.

Overall, it was nice. It was no Peninsula in terms of service; but the room and price made it competitive.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago IL
Reviewed October 9, 2010

My husband and I decided to spend a weekend in Chicago for our birthdays the weekend of October 2nd and 3rd. The night before our stay, I called the hotel to make sure that we were NOT in a smoking room. I had read a previous post on trip advisor from someone who had gotten stuck with a smoking room. Since I am currently pregnant, I didn't feel like taking in some second hand smoke. The young lady who answered the phone assured me we had A NON-SMOKING KING ROOM. Well fast forward to check-in, guess what??? We were in a smoking room! I explained to the man at the front desk that I had called the day before to confirm and he said "that's what you get when you book through Hotwire." Nice. So we had to pay $60 for an "upgrade" of the exact same room we were going to be staying in to begin with. We just moved up 2 floors...wow. Our room by the way was definitely not equipped with a king sized bed. It was obvioulsy a queen.
The hotel decor was very modern but honestly not that impressive. The elevators were teeny tiny and you always had to wait FOREVER since they only had those two tiny elevators which had to make stops on like each floor.
Room service was super expensive, but luckily I had read that the breakfasts across the street at E'leven were awesome. And they were!
So overall, I'm very dissappointed with this hotel. Maybe it was because we "made the mistake" of booking through hotwire. And I still don't understand why we had to pay for an upgrade, yet we ended up in a smaller room two floors up?!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 7, 2010

This is one of the nicest hotel i have stayed in. Great location. We walked everywhere. Room was spotless clean and the bed was soooo comfortable. Didnt eat in resturant but menu looked lovely. Was a lovely treat coming back to hotel after days sightseeing to have a yummy cookie/bun on bed after tturndown service. There is a really good place for breakfast called eggsperience which is only 2 streets away. Also Starbucks across the road. Would definetly reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 4, 2010

The James is a nice hotel in a nice location. It has clearly been significantly updated. I don't know Chicago too well but the location was perfect for my visit. I got a great deal on the room through JetSetter so I jumped at the chance to stay there. The hotel is perfectly nice but has clearly been updated. It is almost as if they brought really nice, modern furniture and fixtures into an old hotel in need of a makeover. You can tell in the elevators and hallways that this is an updated hotel. It didn't bother me but had I paid full price for the room I might have been disappointed.

The beds are very comfortable and they have Kiehl's products in the bathroom which is a plus. Nice flat screen TVs and a very modern feel. My visit was so fast that I did not go to the restaurant or gym but I did order room service which was good. I would stay here again but only if I got another great deal. To be honest, I expected a little bit higher quality hotel for a JetSetter pick but I would still recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I spent 3 nights at the James which is about 1/2 block from the big Marriott where the conference I was attending was being held. I found a significantly better rate at the James than the conference rate offered at the Marriott, plus at the time I booked the James offered a free room upgrade and free breakfast every day either in the restaurant or in room. All in all, I was very happy with the choice I'd made.

My upgraded King room was spacious and I really liked: the spare modernist furniture and fixtures; ;the nook with a small table where I used my computer; the design of the room which made best use of the space, including an ample closet with built in cubes/shelves; the art work (though I didn't much care for the used suitcase installation by the lobby elevator); the fact that my window could be opened; and the nightly turn-down service with a different type of cookie every night. There is also an exceptional gym for such a relatively small hotel with dumbells up to 75 pounds and a fair collection of quality equipment (though it's in the basement with no windows).

My quibbles concerned the wireless internet service--free!, but painfully slow. When I registered my feedback with the internet provider--never botherd to tell the hotel staff--the internet provider sent me an email stating they had checked the service and it was perfectly fine, and that other guests were happily surgin the net with no complaints. I know that was BS as the speed on the desktop computers provided in the lobby--(they even had a Mac--was no better when I used it to print out my boarding pass.

Other quibbles: my room definitely smelled of stale smoke, but I told the front desk when I went out that evening and they managed to improve it about 90% while I was gone. Also, my tub drain didn't work, but they fixed that too. Did not care for the flat modernist bathroom sink which was not very functional. Also I thought a boutique hotel of this caliber should have had an Ipod docking station instead of a CD player on the radio. On the other hand, the radio worked much better than most and pulled in the NPR station well.

i should also mention that all the staff with whom I dealt were exceptionally nice and helpful, including the housekeepers and the room service person on night duty.

I hat paying retail for expensive hotel rooms, but I'd have to say the James provided fair value.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business