“Nice Stay”

Ranked #45 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Nice stay, trendy modern vibe. Great location downtown, can walk everywhere. Had breakfast in David Burke restaurant, best smoked salmon ever, teas are overrated though. Nice trendy bar area, staff cordial and helpful. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2010

An outstanding hotel for price, value and standard of service. Staff were always welcoming, went out of their way and the rooms were large and well designed (though needed a little maintenance checks). Free WIFI and free breakfast were great and welcome extras that separate this hotels from many of those in also-ran chains. I had no issues with noise in a high floor room.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Manchester
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights after arriving in Chicago from the UK. We had a loft suite which was great for us and our 2 daughters (aged 5.5yrs & 2.5yrs). A low bed was in an alcove, complete with projection screen, DVDs were available to borrow from reception. The room was a reasonable size for a city centre. Room service food was awesome - the fries with truffle oil were the best!
I did find the noise of the hotel a little distracting, we were pretty jet lagged, so wide awake in the small hours but not wanting to move, the hum of the aircon, the noise from the street, the room above turning their shower on etc.
The service was amazing, everyone was very polite, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Jupiter Florida
Reviewed April 10, 2010

This was my first trip to Chicago, I flew there for a two-day meeting with colleagues from around the country. This boutique hotel blew me away. The service was top notch, every staff member I interacted with behaved as if they have been waiting all their lives to open a door for me or answer my question. My suite was so beautiful I wanted to move in permanently; two loft beds and funky, sleek modern furniture. Room service from the restaurant downstairs was of the highest quality. Meeting rooms were comfortable and the catered lunch and breakfast were excellent. The hotel is a quick walk from Michigan Avenue. I plan to come back with my husband, and book future meetings there.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Rochester, MI
Reviewed April 8, 2010

Took my 18 year daughter for a mother/daughter weekend. The James Hotel was perfect for us. Modern, clean and very friendlly staff. We shopped all over downtown and this hotel was a perfect location to shopping and restaurants...Would highly recommend.....

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Eastbourne
Reviewed April 8, 2010

I can't say enough good things about this hotel, it was everthing we hoped for and more, the staff are extremely friend, the hotel was very clean, in the bedroom, bathroom, the gym and restaurant. There were lovely finishing touches to the service like a little biscuit each night with a sweet treat for sweet dream message.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
South Carolina
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Last summer, my mom, best friend, and her mom went to Chicago for a fun girl's weekend. I am very hard to please, so I got to search for our hotel. Glad I did!! I spent probably 1 week searching hotels in Chicago based on location, customer reviews, etc. We could not have had a better weekend!

We had drinks every night before dinner at the little bar in the lobby, ate dinner and breakfast one day at their restaurant. It was pricey, but definitely worth it. The night we ate at the restaurant, we were in a slight rush because we had a Broadway show to see. We informed our waiter, and he was so helpful with providing fast service!

My friend and I even ventured off to Oprah's store (huge fan), and when the conceirge got us a cab, he explained where we wanted to go. The taxi driver had no clue where he was talking about (how did he NOT know where Oprah's store was??!!) and so the conceirge grabbed the hotel's SUV and took us there ourselves!

The rooms were fabulous. The decor was ultra modern, and very cute. The rooms were a bit small, but I read that was usual for staying in a big city like Chicago.

The staff made recommendations for places to go out for me and my friend, as we are 20 somethings and our moms are 50 somethings. All the recommendations were right on. We talk about our trip to Chicago all the time, and are most definitely are planning on staying at the James.

BTW, if you use Kiehl's products-it's your luck! They use them in the hotel rooms! :)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends