“What A Fantastic Hotel”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #54 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed June 1, 2009

The staff at the James was unbelievably accommodating and friendly. They went above and beyond. I've stayed at many of the fine hotels in Chicago and the rooms here were much roomier and the decor was so hip and cool. Great for a getaway.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,450)

Reviewed May 26, 2009

By far, this was one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in - and it made celebrating an anniversary with my boyfriend such a memorable experience!

For starters, we called ahead to get suggestions for restaurants and bars in the area. The concierge couldn't have been more helpful and nice - and she obviously took note that it was our anniversary and informed guest services because when we arrived they said "happy anniversary!" and gave us a complimentary room upgrade.

The hotel is impressive - the lobby and bar are gorgeous and the studio room we stayed in was very trendy and well-kept. The maids did a great job of cleaning up the room and even at night when they came to turn down the sheets, they cleaned things up a bit again and replaced towels.

The location of the hotel is perfect! We parked our car and never once took it out of the lot or had to take a cab. You are literally on Rush Street and only a block away from Michigan Avenue. We walked to the Navy Pier, the John Hancock Tower and to various shops and restaurants with no problems at all.

Above and beyond everything, the customer service is great. Being a younger couple, my boyfriend and I have had experiences where we aren't always taken seriously as hotel guests. At The James, every employee made us feel extremely welcome and bent over backwards to make sure that we were having a good time. The concierge arranged all of our dinner reservations, and for one dinner, even arranged to have a car from the restaurant pick us up. Even though we were in town for only 2 nights, we genuinely felt like the hotel employees knew and recognized us after only a few conversations.

I would really look forward to going back to this hotel and would recommend it to anyone!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2009

Very impressed with Staff and Hotel. The only complaint is the street noise, as well the room was not very sound proof. I heard conversations in the hallway, and kids screaming. I was also close to the elevator, and could here the chimes. The elevator is also very slow, and you should expect to wait. I found the parking to be expensive at $50 per night. Anyways, I would stay again only if I was on a higher floor. I was in room 507.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Chirs416
Reviewed May 25, 2009

Have stayed here @ 6 times and most of the other nice hotels in Chicago including the Ritz, Four Seasons and Peninsula (4 times).

Travel a lot for business and this staff, health club, bar/restaurant and rooms make the James one of my favorite hotels in US.

They have gone out of their way to make myself and family feel very comfortable including one time when we had to stay there for 10 days over the holidays due to a death in the family.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 25, 2009

We stayed at the James Hotel for 2 nights over Memorial day weekend in May '09. We were in town for a wedding and this hotel was recommended by the bride. My impression of the hotel started on a great note when I called the day before arrival to get details about traveling to the hotel from O'Hare. The woman on the phone was extremely helpful and gave me tons of useful info. Overall, every interaction I had with staff exceeded my expectations.

We arrived at the hotel at around 10am and were able to check in immediately. We had a double room on the 17th floor facing west down Ontario St. The room was of good size with a small alcove with a table and comfy bench, large table/luggage space in front of the window and a large bar/min fridge area. Normal size bottles of booze were available with several different types of cocktail glasses and mixing implements. Also there was cd/radio/mp3 player (with an aux plug to fit non-iPod mp3 players, too).

There was also a large LCD TV and great lighting throughout. I've been to many boutique hotels where lighting (lack of it) is an issue and it was not an issue here. I could have been comfortable staying here for several days as there was enough space for 3 to move around (or sit and relax) at the same time.

The bathroom had Keihl's products and enough counter space.

There's a Trader Joe's across the street and a Whole Foods nearby (walking distance at Huron/Erie)

The door staff was great - not to in your face annoying but always close at hand to offer tips, etc.

Minutes before the wedding my sister (the maid of honor) called for help b/c the DVD player being used at the reception didn't work. They needed another and the James Hotel front desk staff immediately loaned me one. This really saved the day and they didn't say a word when I walked out the front door with it!

As in any city there was some road noise (police sirens, honking, etc.) on the 17th floor.

Free wifi in the rooms and entire hotel.

We had a great time and I would definitely return to the James Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank charck
Reviewed May 22, 2009

A must for any serious or regular traveller. Ideal for both business and lesiure. Great location for the major Chicago attractions. Staff offer exceptional and unrivalled service.

Trendy, chic and sophistacated - a "must be seen in here" hotel.

Rooms - my room had its own cinema/theater in a separate room. Furnishings were first rate. One of the only hotels in the world, where the the selection of glasses for the mini bar in the room had martini glasses!

Staff - nothing was too much trouble, always ready with a smile and extremely helpful, professional, efficient and more than all, friendly.

The plaque on the entrance door says "One of the Worlds Leading Hotels" - The James Hotel certainly is and lives up to its reputation. We (a group of 14) stayed for three nights. If you are looking for that "extra special" hotel - The James is the place

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Supastar147
Reviewed May 14, 2009

This place is amazing. From the moment I made my reservation, the staff could not be more accommodating. I called in advanced to the concierge for information and it was waiting for me upon my arrival. The front desk people were wonderful and so patient as I wasn't comfortable with the my initial room. Between the bell staff and front desk they must have shown me at least 8 rooms with various views and layouts. They all had the patience of saints and without one bit of attitude. In fact, I could not believe how incredibly kind and understanding they were. Every morning I was greeted by name by the doorman and the bellmen. When it rained they offered me an umbrella the moment I entered the lobby from the elevator to go outside. The room service staff was great arranging food for me according to dietary restrictions. The gym was well appointed , but sadly I didn't get a chance to work out. The concierge managed to get reservations for dinner at a restaurant that it takes weeks to get into. AMAZING!!! The hotel is right across the street from Trader Joes so if you are hungry, you can get a bite to eat or pick up snacks. They have two business centers for guest to use and free internet.

I decided to stay at this hotel because I couldn't bear to stay down the street for a convention I was attending and wanted more of a small boutique hotel. In fact when I brought my friends over for a drink at the bar, the entire group was lamenting why they didn't stay at the James instead of the Mariott where everyone was congested from the gross chemicals they used.

My room was great and I had no issue with noise. In fact it was very quite. The room smelled great ,was clean , chic and well laid out. In fact all of the 8 or so rooms were very well laid out in their own way. Just to prove how cool the James is, Bravo's Project Runway was casting their 7 th season and Tim Gunn and the PR staff were staying there and I even got to talk with Tim in the lobby. I am a former concierge of 5 years so I know the level of service guest expect. The James was exceptional in every aspect..Everything about this hotel was beautiful, unique and well done.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business