“Perfect Location for shopping the Magnificent Mile”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #45 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 12, 2014

The James is a great hotel with modern design and comfortable rooms. Perfect location for Shopping the Magnificent Mile, and convenient to many great restaurants and Chicago's best attractions. The staff is friendly and helpful. They greet you with a smile and aim to please!

Room Tip: I like to be above the 8th floor....higher than the street noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ConsultantCMC
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Dear ConsultantCMC,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that you had a great visit, thanks to our convenient location, comfortable rooms, and modern aesthetic. The best compliment I can receive is that it was our helpful team that assisted in making your visit a great one, and I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed August 11, 2014

The location could not be better --- but the service is lacking completely. We stayed at the hotel the weekend of July 26. We had prepaid for an upgraded room and then been upgraded from that. Check-in is at 3 pm - but our rooms weren't ready until 7 pm. The front desk made constant excuses and then gave us cards for free drinks in the bar. We went to the bar to use the drink tickets and were told they were no good after we ordered $60 worth of drinks for 4 people. When we finally got to the room it was apparent the ventilation/AC wasn't working. The front desk staff and management did very little, even the next day. Our valet was comped. I did the online review and was honest and then Christine Helin, the front desk mgr, immediately followed up with an email, apologized, and said she was sending a certificate for a free night. That was several weeks ago and we have received NOTHING. I have followed up with her on telephone and email and there has been NO response. Pretty apparent this was just lip service.

The location of this property is incredible. I just wish the service and decor and cleanliness matched the amazing location.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pollack S
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear Pollack S,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. It is never our standard for a guest to leave unhappy as you did, which is why we had followed up with you after receiving your review. What we cannot agree with is your statement that the offer a free night was simply talk on our part. Christine has been in contact with you multiple times over the past 11 days, and has informed you that the gift certificate is on the way, although it takes time to prepare and send these. We would never promise something falsely and I am sorry that you feel that we would do this after multiple attempts to improve your experience with us. Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience and if you have any further questions regarding the status of your gift certificate you may direct them to jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

Very clean and amazing staff! I live just outside of Chicago and made this my weekend get away!

At every step the staff was ready and willing to help make my stay easy and. Accommodating! I know I will be back

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear Wesley G,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. The best compliment I can receive about our hotel is to hear that it was the efforts of our team that made your stay amazing. I have shared with them your compliments of their accommodating attitude is what made your visit amazing. I am honored that you plan to return the next time you are downtown, and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed August 9, 2014

I stayed at the James Hotel Aug 6-8. The hotel was able to provide an early check in with 15 minutes of my arrival. The hotel is of the minimal persuasion, but that is of my liking. My room was on the 8th floor away from the elevators. I was able to sleep restfully each evening. Complimentary newspapers (Wall Street Journal, USA Today and Chicago Tribune) were available each day. The Steakhouse is on the expensive side within the restaurant, but the location is outstanding being one block off of the Magnificent Mile. Complementary rides within the CBD are available through the front desk. Bicycles are available to use as we'll complementary. Water (triple filtered) is available in your room (also complementary). I was pleased the hotel as a 2:00 pm check out, yes 2:00 pm! This was greet to wrap up a noon conference then return to the hotel to check off. The front desk was very helpful. Taxis ready if you need them. I would recommend this hotel!

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business

Dear Dean J,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am appreciative of your compliments of our bicycles, 2:00 PM check out, and especially our front desk team. Most of all, it is an honor to receive such a generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers here on TripAdvisor and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

The James is a hotel with minimalistic decor, rooms are functional, not luxurious. Dark carpet in room makes it look a bit worn. Very friendly staff. Fabulous location. Overall nice hotel but probably more for younger crowd. Only very expensive steakhouse in hotel. But lots of restos around.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Nucita100

Dear Nucita100,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I appreciate your compliments of our convenient location and friendly team, and that they attributed to an overall pleasant experience. I am sorry that you did not feel that this was a luxury experience, as we aim to exceed all of our guests' expectations. I thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention so that these issue may be addressed. I hope that we will have the opportunity to re-gain your confidence in us and welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

This is a beautiful modern hotel. Fantastic exercise facility. Knowledgeable staff and helpful concierge. The rooms are clean, modern and spacious. Very happy with our stay at "The James". Would love to go back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear colombiaoranje,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is an honor to hear that you had a great visit, thanks to our gym, comfortable rooms, and service provided by our concierge team. Most of all, it is humbling that you would like to return, and on behalf of the entire James team, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Stayed at The James for a 3 day business trip. I felt like someone special from the time I got out of the taxi. When I had arrived, I realized that I lost my driver's license somewhere from the time I got on the plane until check-in when the associate asked me for ID. The concierge was very helpful in providing me with phone numbers to call to report lost and found. She was very sympathetic and was full of positive energy, that I didn't let it spoil the whole trip.

The room was very comfortable and a little eclectic. Had a very hip ambiance. View was not so great as I was looking at the back of another building. Also, I was a little annoyed that I was charged $40 for damaged linen (fitted sheet only). Room rate was not bad because I got the conference rate.

But, the hotel hosted the conference very well. And felt special even when checking out and hopping into the taxi to get back to the airport.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear tripsrfun07,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed having the conference with us, and especially that our team made your visit memorable. I apologize for any inconvenience regarding the linen charge; if you have any questions about this, feel free to reach out to either our front desk or accounting department who will be able to look into this for you, by calling (312) 337-1000 or emailing me at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!