WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #39 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

Very clean and amazing staff! I live just outside of Chicago and made this my weekend get away!

At every step the staff was ready and willing to help make my stay easy and. Accommodating! I know I will be back

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Wesley G,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. The best compliment I can receive about our hotel is to hear that it was the efforts of our team that made your stay amazing. I have shared with them your compliments of their accommodating attitude is what made your visit amazing. I am honored that you plan to return the next time you are downtown, and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the James Hotel Aug 6-8. The hotel was able to provide an early check in with 15 minutes of my arrival. The hotel is of the minimal persuasion, but that is of my liking. My room was on the 8th floor away from the elevators. I was able to sleep restfully each evening. Complimentary newspapers (Wall Street Journal, USA Today and Chicago Tribune) were available each day. The Steakhouse is on the expensive side within the restaurant, but the location is outstanding being one block off of the Magnificent Mile. Complementary rides within the CBD are available through the front desk. Bicycles are available to use as we'll complementary. Water (triple filtered) is available in your room (also complementary). I was pleased the hotel as a 2:00 pm check out, yes 2:00 pm! This was greet to wrap up a noon conference then return to the hotel to check off. The front desk was very helpful. Taxis ready if you need them. I would recommend this hotel!

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Dean J,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am appreciative of your compliments of our bicycles, 2:00 PM check out, and especially our front desk team. Most of all, it is an honor to receive such a generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers here on TripAdvisor and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Strasbourg, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

The James is a hotel with minimalistic decor, rooms are functional, not luxurious. Dark carpet in room makes it look a bit worn. Very friendly staff. Fabulous location. Overall nice hotel but probably more for younger crowd. Only very expensive steakhouse in hotel. But lots of restos around.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Nucita100
Dear Nucita100,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I appreciate your compliments of our convenient location and friendly team, and that they attributed to an overall pleasant experience. I am sorry that you did not feel that this was a luxury experience, as we aim to exceed all of our guests' expectations. I thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention so that these issue may be addressed. I hope that we will have the opportunity to re-gain your confidence in us and welcome you back in the future.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

This is a beautiful modern hotel. Fantastic exercise facility. Knowledgeable staff and helpful concierge. The rooms are clean, modern and spacious. Very happy with our stay at "The James". Would love to go back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear colombiaoranje,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is an honor to hear that you had a great visit, thanks to our gym, comfortable rooms, and service provided by our concierge team. Most of all, it is humbling that you would like to return, and on behalf of the entire James team, we hope to see you again soon!

Northeast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Stayed at The James for a 3 day business trip. I felt like someone special from the time I got out of the taxi. When I had arrived, I realized that I lost my driver's license somewhere from the time I got on the plane until check-in when the associate asked me for ID. The concierge was very helpful in providing me with phone numbers to call to report lost and found. She was very sympathetic and was full of positive energy, that I didn't let it spoil the whole trip.

The room was very comfortable and a little eclectic. Had a very hip ambiance. View was not so great as I was looking at the back of another building. Also, I was a little annoyed that I was charged $40 for damaged linen (fitted sheet only). Room rate was not bad because I got the conference rate.

But, the hotel hosted the conference very well. And felt special even when checking out and hopping into the taxi to get back to the airport.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear tripsrfun07,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed having the conference with us, and especially that our team made your visit memorable. I apologize for any inconvenience regarding the linen charge; if you have any questions about this, feel free to reach out to either our front desk or accounting department who will be able to look into this for you, by calling (312) 337-1000 or emailing me at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

My stay at the James, in June was made more pleasant by the friendly and efficient staff. The room was comfortable with good linens, towels and amenities. This is not a luxury hotel, but it is a welcoming and comfortable one. The location is perfect for shopping, museums, dining, etc. Laurelin Hefter, the concierge, was most helpful and the restaurant staff made dining a treat. I hope to return many times.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Jeanie D,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted that you had a great experience, thanks to the service provided by our concierge and David Burke's Primehouse team. Most of all, it is an honor that you hope to return and on behalf of the entire James team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

The James Hotel exceeded our expectations in all the important categories, staff friendliness and attentivness, room quality, and location.

Lauerlin was a joy to work with in plannig our trip.

Can't wait to come back to The James on our next trip to Chicago!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank Frederick & Mar... Z
Dear Frederick & Mar...Z,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored that your first visit exceeded expectations, thanks to the excellent service provided throughout, especially Laurelin. Most of all, it is great that you plan to return again; on behalf of the entire James team, we look forward to seeing you again soon!