“Wonderful stay!”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #46 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at The James over a 3 night stay. I can honestly say we had a wonderful experience. Even before our stay, the concierge, Laurelin, was incredibly helpful and kind in setting up our dinner reservations, making excellent suggestions as to places that fit the type of food, atmosphere and budget we wanted. Nothing was too much to ask for, nothing was impossible. She made our stay great from the moment we contacted her.

The rooms at The James have a modern style yet maintain a sense of luxury. Everything was clean--not a speck of dust anywhere. A carafe of water is replenished daily, and the mini bar is well stocked, if a bit pricey. We didn't need or want anything in it anyway. Our bed was super comfortable, after a long day walking it felt great to lay down! We had a quiet room on the 10th floor and never heard any other guests.

We did utilize the on site spa for a massage, and although it is a very small space, the service was great and it was very peaceful.

Overall, there is nothing I can criticize about The James. We loved our stay and will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2014
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2014

Dear coneil79,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is an honor that you chose to spend your anniversary with us, and I am proud that Laurelin assisted in making your visit a memorable one. Thank you for your compliments of our rooms and Asha spa, but most of all that you loved your visit and plan to return. It is truly the best compliment we can hear and look forward to welcoming both you and your husband again soon!

There are newer reviews for The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Having stayed at the James before, we continue to enjoy the great central location of one block off Michigan in the heart of the miracle mile.

Finding the room cramped on previous visits, we obtained a larger room. It was still cramped. With more age personally, we found the chic sofa and wire chairs very uncomfortable. But who, while visiting Chicago sits long in a hotel room. We did like the larger sleeping area.

The Hotel has more of a younger clientele, but we did not feel out of place at all. The services of the hotel were used often and were always great.

Room Tip: Get one on the inside of the square and not one with an outside window.

Dear Traveller63054,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I apologize that you did not enjoy the furniture in your room, and appreciate your candid feedback as we always look for areas to improve to better accommodate our guests. I am honored by your continued loyalty to us, thanks to our location and facilities and sincerely hope we will welcome you back soon!

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Booked and prepaid reservation. At check in told hotel was sold out...no reserved room. Slept three adults in a king size bed first night. Prepaid reservation = no reimbursement and no room guarantee.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Joan N
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Dear Joan N,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the experience you had while with us at The James. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we did not have the room you booked available, and regrettably accommodated you in a room with a king. It was my understanding that we switched you the following day as well as reduced your rate for this inconvenience. As always, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com as I hope we could recover your confidence in us. We apologize again and I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

My wife and I were lucky enough to take the week-end away without the kids and we were recommended to stay at The James for its great downtown Chicago location and professionalism of its staff. As advertised, we were walking distance from everything we needed and the staff was very professional and attentive. The check-out time of 2pm was an added bonus.

Dear fdauphin,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear you chose us for a weekend away, and that you had a great experience thanks to our professional team and late check-out. Thank you for sharing your thoughts here on TripAdvisor and I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome both you and your wife back again soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Stayed three nights in a king loft suite. There was no view from any of the king loft suites I was told. The staff were all helpful. The suite had the most uncomfortable couch I've come across in a long time. It had no back support and was extremely hard. The media room was problematic. We had to call for assistance three times. Apparently they are changing systems. However, each technician had a different solution to the problems that made us unable to use system. The rooms were so tiny, You could not walk around the bed/media sofa. The king bed area had two shelves for nightstands but nowhere to put any personal belongings. Guess I could've unpacked everything and stored in the living area or in the closet. Furniture was chipped and banged up. Couch upholstery was worn and tired looking.

The hotel has a courtesy car and it was much appreciated. Hotel room bathrooms were spacious and clean.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank PittsburghLynnie

Dear PittsburghLynnie,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am sorry to hear that you did enjoy your visit in one of our loft suites, due to issues with the projector and couch. As noted, we are in the process of updating these to better accommodate our guests and feedback like yours is valuable to us as we make these decisions. Despite this setback, I am glad that you found our team to be helpful and certainly hope we can have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future visit to give you the full James experience you deserve.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 28, 2014

While the hotel was in a good location (central downtown), the hotel had some cleanliness problems. Weird smells, broken door handle, chipped paint on wall, and hole in carpet. Comfortable bed though and nice TV.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

Thank your for taking the time to offer your candid feedback in regards to your visit with us at The James Chicago. I am disappointed to read about the condition of the room you were in, as the issues you described certainly do not meet our expectations. Any problems that we come across are repaired shortly thereafter, and I am sorry that this was not done prior to your arrival. I will certainly follow up in this matter to ensure that other guests do not have a similar experience. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, and I hope we will be able to regain your confidence in us on a future visit.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Loved my stay at the James in Chicago. Wasn't quite sure what to expect as I'd never stayed at a James before, but certainly exceeded my expectations.

Large, clean room, with quality furnishings and minibar, and facilities.

Comfy beds, and a lovely range of toiletries.

The gym was a great asset. Much better than a usual hotel gym. Only minor gripe was no rowing machine, both otherwise the equipment was top notch, the environment clean and pleasant - the chilled water jugs were another quality touch. The space was a pleasure to use.

Had a late checkout of 2pm, which was a fantastic benefit and they also had a pop up icecream bar on one afternoon in the summer heat which was a great idea.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Paul I,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It an honor to read that your stay exceeded expectations, thanks to our late check out time and Jove's Ice Cream. I appreciate your suggestion of a rowing machine for our gym, as we are always looking for ways to better improve our guests' experiences. Thank you again for writing and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James again soon!