“Loved the location and accommodating staff.”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #45 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We had a great trip, thanks to the staff at The James. They were all so nice, patient and accommodating. I traveled with a very difficult, high maintenance group of 3 adults and 3 girls. The staff handled every request (and there were lots) with a smile.

The location is great only being a block from great shopping and walking distance to lots of historic spots and the L. The best part was being across the street from Trader Joe's.

Also, if you like a good workout the Gym is quite large and has quality equipment.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear Terri H,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and our excellent gym. The best compliment I can receive is to hear that it was our team that made your visit a memorable one, thanks to their superior customer service. Thank you again for writing and I look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!

There are newer reviews for The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Stayed here for a week. Day in and day out, staff were so friendly, welcoming, and always acknowledged us, gave us good tips for must-do's in Chicago, and seriously aimed to make our stay as pleasant as possible. I highly recommend it for the location as well - we walked everywhere!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Dear Pascal E,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that you enjoyed your visit, thanks to the wonderful service consistently provided by our entire team. I am glad that their recommendations of places to visit in the city helped make your stay a memorable one. I hope that your first visit will no be your last and hope to welcome you back to The James soon!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

It was an excellent location and the comfort of the beds was outstanding. The staff was very accommodating and there was a concierge that was very helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay very close to everything.

Dear Ritza L,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that you had a great visit, thanks to our convenient location, comfortable beds, and especially our excellent concierge team. It is truly humbling to receive your generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers on Trip Advisor, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Excellent choice for a hotel. Stayed three nights for quick get away holiday with my husband. Location perfect; centrally located, room very modern and comfortable. Concierge service went out of their way to help us with our trip planning.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Carol Y,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is an honor to receive your generous recommendation, and that our location and concierge team assisted in making your visit a memorable one. Thank you for writing and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome both you and your husband back again soon!

StephenBlackford

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I love Chicago and will go back in the New York minute and this will be my hotel of choice. I don't know who and how trained the staff but the service there is just impeccable! You FEEL genuine care and the room wasn't bad either. Walking distance to major city attractions and restaurants. Hotel for the win.

Room Tip: the higher the floor is the better
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Serge B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am truly honored to hear that you had such a great visit, thanks to our convenient location, but most of all, the service provided by our team. The best compliment I receive is that it was our team that made your visit memorable and I am thankful for your generous compliments of them. On behalf of everyone here at The James, thank you for visiting and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is my second time at the James. I really like the contemporary decor and the fresh, enthusiastic staff. My room was not noise-free, but in the urban landscape, not that many places are (my room ends with the number "18"). The bathroom was a bit small, and though clean, showed some wear in the fixtures (for instance, nicks in the tub). I liked that the bath amenities were offered in pump bottles attached to the wall - very eco-friendly. My bed was very comfortable (and several different types of pillows are offered - much appreciated when one has particular pillow preferences). And the air-con worked great (90+ degree day the first day of my visit. This is important stuff!!) Finally, the hotel is very well-located, in River North, and is within walking distance of all the main downtown attractions.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2014

Dear parismuse,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted that you enjoyed your second stay as much as the first, thanks to our eco-friendly bath products and especially our enthusiastic team. I am honored by your continued loyalty to us and look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We were here in May of 2013 for our honeymoon. This was by far the most expensive thing we paid for in terms of the wedding/honeymoon for a single item, but really wanted just a really good experience for our honeymoon. We reserved our room at the time where you additionally got a $50 credit for appetizers downstairs, which we planned on using the first night since we wouldn't have stopped for dinner. We came straight from Fort Wayne to Chicago following the wedding, which took about 3.5 hours. The staff were very professional, but we did not receive the credit that was promised. It's not a huge deal as we walked across the street to Trader Joes and just bought some snacks instead.

The overall experience was very good except for some looks we received from mostly other people staying at the hotel (and a select few staff members). It seemed as though wearing jeans and a T-Shirt isn't very acceptable at this hotel. As this was our honeymoon and we were there to relax and explore the city, we only dressed up for dinner, but a number of times we received comments about our apparel or overheard (quite blantantly) comments on what we wore. If you are supposed to dress in your Sunday finest at all times I would expect it to be noted somewhere. Sadly, I don't think I would feel comfortable going back and would just opt for a cheaper hotel with nicer people.

The rooms were very nice, always cleaned on time, and the other staff members who didn't voice such opinions as above were really great.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brenna M

Dear Brenna M,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any shortcomings you experienced during your stay with us. When we started The James, our goal was to provide an upscale hotel that provided luxury liberated from the tradition of other similar scale hotels. We aim to provide a comfortable atmosphere for our guests to wear whatever they choose, while maintaining outstanding service. I apologize if you felt out of place as we want all of our guests to feel as if they are at their second home, and I am sorry that this was not your experience. I sincerely hope you will try us again and deliver The James experience that you deserve.