“Great Hotel! Great Location!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The James Chicago

The James Chicago
Ranked #44 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Belmont, CA
“Great Hotel! Great Location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

Love this hotel! I love the modern/mid-century decor that suits Chicago so well! The room was a Deluxe King which wasn't huge, but plenty big for a long weekend. The bathroom wasn't huge either, but again, it was just fine! It was spotless and comfortable and welcomey, which was most important. And turn down service came with a different treat each evening. The two best features of the hotel is its location and its staff! Other than a train ride to Wicker Park (ps I Cream Cafe and Big Star for tacos are a must!) and a taxi ride to Second City, there was no need for a car! Everything was right out your door! Walked along the lake every morning. And the staff was incredible! I usually lean on google and yelp for any travel questions I have, but the Concierge at the James was invaluable! Loads of great recommendations! The business center was great, the gym wasn't huge but had everything I needed, the spa was tiny but got a fantastic massage! I didn't try the restaurant, but had a cocktail at the bar one rainy afternoon while I wrote postcards and it was delicious and the service was delightful. Oh and they let you borrow bikes!! As much as I love hotels and rarely go back to the same one twice, I would definitely go back to the James.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear udque,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that your visit was a memorable one, thanks to our convenient location and especially our friendly team. Thank you for your compliments of our turndown service and our concierge; I am proud that they assisted in making the most of your visit to the city with their excellent recommendations. Thank you again for taking the time to write and we look forward to welcoming your back for a return visit the next time you are in Chicago!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

Great location. The staff couldn't be more accommodating. The food at The James was above and beyond what I had expected. The bar area is a very fun and relaxing setting. If I happen to be in the city I would go to the bar area for drinks and dessert.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Nancy A,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that your stay was above and beyond your expectations, thanks to the accomodating service provided by our team and our convenient location. Additionally, I'm glad you enjoyed our bar and especially that you plan to return the next time you visit. Thank you again for writing and on behalf of everyone here at The James, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stayed here a few days over Valentines weekend. The location is probably the best you could have for anything you are going to do in the city! There is a Trader Joe's across the street, starbucks on the corner, cafe directly across the street, shopping all around, and the best new shopping slash restaurant store I have ever been too...new in Chicago and it's called EATILY. It was just a block away! We had superb customer service throughout the hotel. The cleaning staff, the bartenders, the bell hop guys, everyone.....they go out of there way to smile at you and ask if you need anything! We have stayed at the Felix, Hyatt, and Westin...we will not go back. The James is the best by far. You won't be sorry. Oh, and 1 more thing...THE BEDS..AWESOME.

Room Tip: I don't think you could get a bad room here.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shtzngigglez
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear shtzngigglez,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am truly honored to hear that after staying at several hotels in Chicago, we are your new favorite. Additionally, I appreciate your compliments of our comfortable beds, convenient location, and especially our friendly team. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

I very much enjoyed my stay at The James. It was brief, but very much worth it. A short weekend trip, but very relaxing and a wonderful atmosphere. The smallest of details leaves the largest of impression. I very much look forward to any future chances I may get to stay at The James.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

2 Thank Anthony M
Dear Anthony M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is humbling to hear that we are your favorite hotel in Chicago after your visit with us. Although it was a short weekend with us, I'm glad that it was relaxing and left an overall great impression. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

I had a great time at the James. The saff was so nice and helpful. Bill Marcelli the concierge especially was excellent and helped us out with everything from entertainment to shopping locations. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Pete M
Dear Pete M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that you enjoyed your stay, thanks in part to the excellent service provided by our concierge team. I am glad that they were able to assist in making your experience a great one and especially that you will recommend us to others. Thank you again for writing and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

the James Chicago is my go to Hotel when in Chicago. The staff are extremly attentive to my every need. I will continue to stay at the James when ever I am in Chicago. I really enjoyed the room and bathroom. The bed and pillows are super comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Anthony E
Dear Anthony E,

Thank you for taking the time to share about yor recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We are honored by your continued loyalty to us and glad that our wonderful team continues to impress during each visit. Most of all, I am humbled that you will continue to stay with us when your travel plans return you to Chicago. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Nice place. Friendly and attentive staff. Overall we were pleased with our stay. They understand how to execute great guest service. Smiling, eye contact, small talk, and seemed to be pleased to assist us with the little things.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Quinn C
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Quinn C,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. The best compliment I can recieve is that it was the amazing service provided by our entire team that made your experience a memorable one. Most of all, I am delighed that your first stay with us will not be your last and look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!