“Disappointing”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #46 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Very well liked and reviewed property. We found it to be dirty and unsatisfactory. The bed marketed as a king was seemingly small. We went and purchased drinking glasses because the ones in the room were visibly dirty. There is also no service for Verizon wireless customers. The location is great and the staff was very kind.

• Stayed: January 2014
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear abvas,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience with us and found your room to be disappointing. The conditions you described certainly do not meet our high standards and I apologize for the inconvenience that this caused. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline in order to rectify these issues and recoup your confidence in us by emailing jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and I look forward to speaking with you soon!

There are newer reviews for The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile

Reviewed January 27, 2014

From the check in experience until we left the hotel, our stay was exceptional! James checked us in and asked why we were in town. My friend & I were celebrating our birthdays. James upgraded our room. Yay! We stepped out of our room for about 20 minutes & when we returned there were two cupcakes & a note wishing us a happy birthday from the James Hotel. What a pleasant surprise! That set the tone for a great weekend.
The location is great. Near plenty of restaurants, shopping & nightlife.The entire staff was very nice & attentive. I will definitely stay here again.Thanks for a great birthday weekend!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Kimberly B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored that both you and your friend decided to celebrate your birthdays with us and that James assisted in making it a memorable experience by adding a room upgrade and amenity. Most of all, I am delighted that you will visit us again and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

From arriving to departing, the hotel and its staff met or exceeded our expectations. Great job making us feel comfortable and at ease during our visit to Chicago. We will be visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Greg V,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. The best compliment we can receive is to hear that it was the efforts of our wonderful team that made your experience a great one. I am delighted that your first visit will not be your last and look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I made my third visit to The James and again a great hotel, super staff, and nice time. And I have to mention it happened to be my birthday while i was there, the front desk staff found out and had cup cakes and a card sent up the my room.
Nice touch!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear ZZyZxnIL,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you stayed with us over your birthday and enjoyed the amenity to celebrate. Most of all, I am honored by your compliments of our team and that you are a returning guest. We appreciate your loyalty to us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

The rooms at The James are much more spacious than the typical boutique hotel. And unlike most boutique hotels that are dark and moody (you know what I mean), this hotel has light. The lobby is lit with neat artwork. The lights in the room are all on dimmers. You can have it dark and moody...or you can crank it up and actually see. My room had a large flat screen TV. Don't want to watch television from the bed. Use the comfie chaise lounge. The decor and art is attractive. The bedding is lovely and you are provided a myriad of assorted pillows so you can find one perfect for you. Foam or feathers? Take your pick. I think the sheets are 82 million thread count. Safe in the closet. Ok- one thing I hate - I hate stocked refrigerators and snack displays that taught you to purchase from them. The offerings are extensive (and I'm sure expensive) if you like that sort of stuff. But, I don't and can't even close the door on the display.
Bathroom is small but nicely appointed. Ladies, this hotel provides shower caps, q-tips and cotton balls. The shower is equipped with large bottles of shampoo, conditioner and wash. The idea is to save plastic. There is also a large magnifying mirror in the bathroom. The James stocks your room with a bottle of (they say three times filtered) water by the bedside. They refill it each day. Pencil not a pen. There is a pot in the room if you want to heat water for tea. No coffee pot. There is complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning. (There is cider in the evening.) Multiple newspapers for the taking in the lobby.
This hotel has turn down service...so if you don't want to be bothered, use the sign on the door. Also, they supposedly fill you ice chest as a service. Mine was filled with cold water and a few chips when I checked in at 7pm. I was thinking it was left by mistake by the prior room resident. No, the front desk told me they do stock the ice chest and typically empty them. When you're out and the turn down service beats you, you're left with cookies & fresh ice. Wake up calls come on time and are made by a person, not a computer. Bathrobes, yes! Evidently this hotel is pet friendly. I did not see any canine friends during my trip. However there is a canister of tiny dog bone treats by the hotel front entrance. ( the dogs that do come here must be real teacups based on the size of these dog cookies!)
Complimentary wi-fi .... One of my favorite perks!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Nancy D
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear OBD2142,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored that you shared about your entire experience with us, and described all of our room amenities so well for fellow travelers on Trip Advisor. I am glad that the comfortable bedding, lobby art, complimentary WiFI and turndown service helped to make your experience a great one. Most of all, I am glad that you found the service provided by our team to be excellent, and I appreciate your very generous compliments. Thank you again for writing, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

This is the third time I've stayed at this hotel in a year -- each time four nights or more. It is in a great loction and a wonderful place to stay. The cookies left on the bed at turndown service are a sweet touch.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear wannabejetsetter02,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that you enjoyed your stay, thanks to our location and turndown service. Most of all, we appreciate your continued loyalty to us and are humbled that you have stayed with us several times this past year. Thank you again for taking the time to write and we look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

My 3 night stay at The James Chicago couldn't have been nicer. I specifically asked to be put in a quiet room and I think I was placed in the quietest room in Chicago! Service, food, rooms are splendid. When I return to Chicago I will only stay at the James.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Christine C,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that our team was able to fulfill your request for a quiet room, and that it attributed to a great experience. Most of all, I am humbled that you will exclusively stay with us when visiting the city and look forward to welcoming you back next time!