“First class boutique hotel”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #52 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My husband and I came to The James for a getaway weekend. We booked a King Suite (or apartment, as they call it.) This was a corner room on a high floor; the bedroom had two windows looking north and west.

Everything about The James is first class. The doorman met our taxi and our bags were inside before we finished paying the driver. The check-in was quick and courteous. The bellman brought our luggage to the room and gave us a tour of the amenities: including a stocked wet-bar, a mini fridge (stocked, of course), a bottle of triple-filtered water that's replaced a couple times a day, a docking station for iPod or iPhone, and flat screen TVs in the living room and bedroom. He filled the ice bucket for us before he left.

We had two good size rooms; a livingroom area with the bar and an eating nook, and the bedroom. Because the room was in the corner, we had two big windows on two walls in the bedroom. Each window in the two rooms had balloon shades that darkened the room over other pinhole shades that afforded privacy while allowing light in.

The bathroom is a good size, too, with a really great shower. You can choose to use the super huge rain shower shower-head or the hand-held shower. The shower is stocked with luxury shampoo, conditioner, and body wash.

We availed ourselves of room service for breakfast, which was quite good. Our food arrived hot and obviously just cooked. I had a bagel and lox the first morning, which was out of this world, and an omelet the second morning.

We had dinner one night at David Burke's Primehouse, which was very good. They also provide the room service meals.

Quibbles: One of the reasons that we stayed here was because there was a spa in the building. We had massages at the Spa, and they were only okay. I wouldn't recommend it and would skip it in the future.

The other quibble is that our bed was too soft. I really appreciate that hotels now give you an option of which pillows you would like. I wish I'd been able to specify a firm mattress, too.The bottom line is that we loved every minute at The James and will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Naomi L,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am truly humbled by your compliments of us and for writing about each aspect of your stay. It is an honor to hear that you felt it was a first class experience from start to finish, thanks to our Apartment Suites, dining options, and especially the excellent service provided by our team. I appreciate your suggestion for having firmer beds for some of our guest rooms and also for bringing the experience in the spa to my attention; I have shared your concerns with their management team so that other guests do not have a similar experience. I am glad that this did not detract from a wonderful visit and very much hope that we will welcome you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Stephen Blackford

Write a ReviewReviews (3,435)

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We held 3 days of meetings at this hotel and we planned all of this with the hotel in just over a week. The facilities, the food, and the rooms were all great. The concierge (Bill Marcella) helped a lot with car service and reservations and was exceptional.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Karen B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear your compliments of our meeting space; we were delighted to host your group and I'm glad that everything went so well. I also am glad to hear of the excellent service provided by Bill, and that he assisted in making your experience a great one. Thank you again for writing and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed there for two days while on business in Chicago. Pleasant and professional staff, clean room, and good food. The location is great and I could walk to the office. Would not hesitate to stay there again

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear charli,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your business trip with us, thanks to our delicious food and our professional staff. I hope that your first stay with us will not be your last, and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

If you are looking for the right spot to stay this place is located in the perfect location. You are feet away from Michigan Ave top shopping plus blocks away from the hot spot bars,(Paris Club Sierra Tavern,etc.) I recently stayed during a off weekend between Christmas and New Years and received a great rate. The hotel is clean and the staff is there for everything. Ran into the bar manager at Jimmy who was also at the Miami location a few months prior while I was there. I am from the suburbs and this hotel delivers the city vibe I look for when visiting. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Jeremiah L,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us thanks to our great team and our very convenient location. It is great to hear that you have also visited our Miami Beach property and we appreciate your loyalty. I am truly honored by your recommendation of us to fellow travelers and sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We travel to Chicago often and last weekend tried the James based on the good pricing they offered for that weekend. The hotel is very nicely decorated, modern and sleek and clean. The lobby bar is attractive and was very popular the Saturday evening we visited it. Service in the bar and overall was excellent.
However, the room left much to be desired. Comfort has been sacrificed to design. The room was small, which was not in itself an issue especially given the good rate. However, the space that could have been used for a comfy armchair with a good reading light and view of the TV, was instead taken up by two small, backless storage-type ottoman stools that no one would sit on for longer than it took to put on shoes! Below the wall mounted TV was a banquette that was uncomfortable to sit on and in any event faced away from the TV. Useless except for holding your suitcase. And the ONLY lights in the room are strips above the bed headboards (we had two queens) that are controlled by ONE switch, so either both beds have reading lights on or neither do. And there is no where to sit and read except one of the beds!
The bath was nice looking but had a heavy sliding door that was loud to open and close, and a porthole that let way too much light into the bedroom in the middle of the night when the bedroom lights were out. Consequently, a mid- night trip to the bath was likely to wake your roommate.
We will likely not stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Barbara2265,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience with us, mostly due to our rooms. It is our aim to provide comfortable yet stylish accommodations, and I am sorry that we did not live up to expectations. I appreciate your honest constructive criticism on what could be changed to better suit our guests. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com and I hope that we can re-coup your confidence in us.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Expected more from the room. Overall positive experience, but not a 4.5 star experience. I'm not sure how this hotel receives such a high rating. The people that work there are phenomenol. Location is great. Room furniture was more for design and not practical to relax on.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Thank Mr. H

Dear Mr. H,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am disappointed to hear that we did not live up to your expectations for your visit, as it is our aim to ensure that each guest has a great experience. I am glad that you felt our service was phenomenal; it is our focus to provide excellent service which we feel sets us apart and makes our guests' visits memorable. I appreciate your candid feedback regarding the furnishings as we are always looking for ways to improve and thank you for your suggestions. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and I very much hope that we will have the opportunity to re-coup your confidence is us.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We went to Chicago for a weekend and ended up getting "stuck" there due to some really bad weather that shut down our home airport. Turned out to be very fortunate! The James Hotel is in a perfect location. It's one block from Michigan Avenue. There's a very good Italian restaurant called Quartino and a fantastic piano bar called Readhead within a couple of blocks. The staff was great throughout our stay. They accommodated us for an additional three nights and they were very courteous.

The James is a boutique hotel with a very cool feel to it. The rooms are nice and clean and the view is quite good. One of the highlights is the restaurant. Very good steak dinner, and even better breakfast (the pancakes were excellent).

Our friend booked the hotel for us and we were a little apprehensive because of the cost. We had very low expectations, as the room cost well below $200 per night. This hotel is easily comparable to $300-350 / night hotels.

We're planning a summer trip to Chicago and not considering staying in any other hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear cnate22,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad to see that despite a change in travel plans, you were able to spend a few more days with us and had a great experience. In addition to the room, it's great that you also enjoyed the delicious menu featured at David Burke's Primehouse. I am honored that you will only stay with us when visiting Chicago next time and truly appreciate your loyalty. Thank you again for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back again!