“Welcome To Chicago”

Ranked #43 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Sydney, Australia
“Welcome To Chicago”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The James Hotel was a great Welcome to Chicago! My wife and I arrived late in the night after a delay in NY and it was most pleasing walking into The James. The bar had closed but they saw the look on our faces and did not hesitate to poor us a drink before we went upstairs to our room. The room was massive. Felt like an apartment rather than a hotel room. The following morning we explored the city and could not believe how close we were to everything. A real gem in Chicago!
The staff were amazing and very accommodating to all our needs. It was a real pleasure staying here on our first trip to Chicago.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Diego T,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, thanks to our spacious rooms and especially our accommodating staff. I am honored that you chose to spend you first trip to Chicago with us and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We have stayed here several times and each one has been a good experience. Staff is very good, rooms are about average for Chicago, location is excellent and it has a great restaurant. Bar is small, but O.K.
One word of caution: during our last two stays we have not been able to control the temperature in our room. Perhaps corner rooms are subject to heat/cooling problems or thermostats do not work in the rooms. Management was made aware of this complaint on both occasions.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear jacy2,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that you are a returning guest, thanks to our location and excellent staff; we very much appreciate you continued loyalty to us. I am sorry to hear about the persistent heating/cooling issues you experienced while with us. We usually send up our engineering staff if you are having trouble regulating the temperature to ensure that both the HVAC system and baseboard heaters are all working correctly in the room and repair if needed. This is not the experience we expect our guests to have and I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline to obtain more information on where you stayed to make sure this is properly addressed. I thank you for your understanding and look forward to speaking with you soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Excellent location near Michigan Avenue and CTA. The hotel is very comfortable and clean with simple, modern design. The staff were very friendly. Room service breakfast was very good. Hot cider in the lobby was a nice touch in the winter!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Apphia P,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored by your compliments of our convenient location, comfortable rooms and even the complimentary cider served in the lobby. Most of all, I am delighted that our staff's friendliness attributed to making your visit a great one and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you return to Chicago!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I spent a couple of days at The James Chicago in December. I was there for work and hotel fulfilled all of my needs, and those of the colleagues that I was travelling with. It was comfortable, clean, had great amenities and the service was impeccable — in particular the concierge, Laurelin Hefter, was extremely diligent and helpful. I look forward to returning!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear JKH2014,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you and your colleagues enjoyed your visit with us and that it was a comfortable stay while on business. I am proud that our concierge team provided such remarkable service, which is the best compliment I can hear. Thank you for writing and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

Chicago
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the James for one night the first week of December. I thought that the service was good. Upon check in and check out the front desk staff was all very nice. There is a car service the hotel provides if you are traveling within close proximity to the hotel; it is first come first serve so we ended up Ubering a car.

Location of the hotel is excellent if you are from out of town and want to be close to great restaurants and shopping.

The rooms were ok, a very modern boutiquish feel to them. They are large for Chicago standards. My only complaint was on Sat. I got in the shower and there was just luke warm water. Kind of put a damper on my overall experience.

Dear Kristin R,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear that you found our location convenient to the places your visited while in town, and especially that our front desk team was very friendly. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced in regards to your shower; this is certainly not the impression we wish to leave you with and I hope that we will be able to re-coup your confidence in us if and when you visit again. Thank you for writing, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your husband back again soon!

Chicago
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had planned to vacation in San Diego, but due to some unforseen challenges, we ended up in Chicago with no hotel late on a Saturday night. We have stayed at The James Chicago several times before so the decision on where to stay was not a difficult one. At 10:30pm we walked in to The James and were greeted warmly by the staff. They were able to book us a room for five nights, including New Year's Eve, and we couldn't have been happier.

Dear Kevin T,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored that you thought of us when you found yourself in the city at the last minute. We appreciate your continued loyalty to us and that our helpful staff made your visit a great one to welcome the new year. Thank you again for sharing, and I look forward to seeing you the next time you visit!

Mclean, Va
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We booked The James through jetsetter.com and got a great deal for the three nights in December we stayed there. Everything was very comfortable and we would definitely return. The only suggestion I would have is to warm up the lobby a bit, not temperature wise but atmosphere.

Dear 30thbdayplans,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit thanks to our comfortable rooms and convenient location. I appreciate your candid feedback regarding our lobby; we are always looking for improving the experience for our guests and thank you for your suggestion. I am delighted that would stay with us again and hope that we will welcome you back again soon!