“Luxury Liberated without the $$$$”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #45 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Exceptional location. Excellent facilities and rooms. Courteous staff. Highly recommended. (I admit that my agent got me a deal but I would have paid more too...) This is a downtown hotel with the feeling of a boutique experience. The in-room amenities and service was superb. I felt that if I had stayed a week they would have made me feel like family.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Ken H,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your wonderful compliments of our location and especially for your generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers. I am honored that you felt at home while staying with us, as it is our goal to provide a luxurious experience liberated from tradition. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Everything was great during our stay. Room was spacious, so was the bathroom. Pretty impressed by its decoration, very chic and stylish. We only stayed one night, so we didn't really know about their room service and their spa & pool. But we did experience nice service from their stuff. People working there were very friendly and helpful. Also, I liked its location very very. Walking distance to good restaurants and interesting spots. We will for sure coming back to stay in this hotel whenever visit in chicago.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mengtian Y,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored by your generous compliments of our convenient location and spacious rooms, but most of all, I am glad that it was our staff that made your experience a great one. I am truly delighted that your first stay with us will not be your last and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was in Chicago for a convention and I chose the James due to its location right off mag mile. Overall it was a great stay. Hotel staff were extremely helpful. I was allowed to check-in much earlier than I wanted to and I was upgraded to a deluxe room for free which is always a plus. The hotel is very pleasant on the inside. Nice bar area, sitting area, restaurants on facility premise. Bed was super comfortable and the room overall made you feel good that you were staying in semi-luxury. Bathroom was great as well, nice basic features with an upscale look. Overall I would def. recommend this hotel to others if you find a good rate ~$125 and the area fits your needs.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Kevin K,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you had a great visit, thanks to our convenient location, upgraded room, and most of all, our helpful staff. We appreciate your recommendation and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I was at a conference in downtown Chicago and this was the hotel that I booked last minute. It made for a fantastic stay. It was close to everything; Michigan Ave, great restaurants, and fun shops. There was a Trader Joes across the street so I was able to grab some snacks. The staff was very friendly and the restaurant had a very nice shrimp cocktail and breakfast menu. I am coming back next year and will stay here again.

Dear ChadCliff,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that you are happy with your decision to visit us and that you enjoyed your experience. Most of all, we are glad that your first stay with us will not be your last and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

My sister and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the James Hotel in Chicago. From the moment we arrived, we felt welcomed and cherished as a visitor. Scott greeted us as we pulled up. He had a wonderful sense of humor and was helpful in all ways (with parking information, restaurant thoughts, directions, help with luggage). We then checked in with James…yes, James works at the James Hotel…who was efficient and friendly. The concierge gave us many wonderful food recommendations (the Purple Pig and Sunda, both seriously delicious and fun). There was hot apple cider when we arrived, a fantastic gym, a spa, coffee in the morning, a happening restaurant in the lobby. AND, did I mention that this hotel is walking distance to a lot of the Chicago destinations? Shopping on North Michigan, eating yourself silly, drinking at local bars and clubs, etc. etc. Our room was a queen suite which allowed us to hang out very comfortably, watch movies together, get ready without stepping all over one another. I even did yoga in the room totally comfortably! Oh, and the black-out blinds allowed for a lovely night sleep. Overall, a really high-class, high-comfort hotel without any pretense. High recommend.

Room Tip: The queen suite was really comfortable for two adults traveling together (not lovers…). The couch is...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Lisa O,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I appreciate your wonderful compliments of our amenities and am truly delighted to hear about the outstanding service provided by our team, and how their efforts made your stay a great one. I am humbled by your recommendation of us to fellow travelers and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Location of this hotel is superb. The atmosphere and decoration were real good and modern. The staff were very very helpful and friendly. It was a fantastic stay from the beginning till the end. We really had a wonderful holiday in Chicago and at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sandra B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your generous compliments of our convenient location and especially of our friendly, helpful staff. I am glad to hear you had a wonderful holiday with us and hope that we will welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

The hotel was great except for a few minor issues. Toilet ran constantly. View was like a prison cell (interior wall). I had to look up 20 floors to see a patch of sky to find out if it was day or night. Cool, affordable, but not the most romantic. Also vinyl slip covered tables and booths in restaurant kind of lame.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Daniel O,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the room but glad that this did not detract from an overall positive experience. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!