“One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at”
Review of The James Chicago

The James Chicago
Ranked #43 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
London
“One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The James is fantastic. Great location, better than average rooms and wonderful staff. Our flight home was cancelled and the staff at The James went out of their way to help us. Would definitely recommend staying here.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear JDLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We are truly honored to be considered as one of the best hotels you have ever stayed in, thanks in part to our wonderful team. I am humbled by your generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers and hope that you will stay with us again if and when your plans return you to Chicago!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bristol, Tennessee
Reviewed October 29, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Excellent rooms, friendly staff & walking distance to shops & dining. Room service was fast and delicious. Comfy robes & slippers provided. Amazingly soft and cozy bed. Also, wonderful complimentary Acura car service - I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BAMZILLA
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear BAMZILLA,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay with us thanks to our comfortable rooms and friendly staff, and that you enjoyed our complimentary car service too. Most of all, I am honored that you will stay with us again the next time your travel plans return you to Chicago!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

The James in Chicago is one of the best small hotels I have ever had the pleasure of staying at. I do not have a single negative thing to say about it. The hotel staff are some of the best I have ever encountered. They go out of their way to accommodate their guests - right down to helping with the dog!
The location is very good for access to all the downtown places of interest.
On site restaurant is excellent.
The rooms are so comfortably appointed. Beds are extremely comfortable and you have your choice of pillow styles.
There is no other place I would stay on a trip to Chicago!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jo2453,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your generous compliments of our hotel and are truly honored that you consider us as one of the best hotels you have stayed in. Most of all, it is humbling to hear that you will only stay with us while visiting Chicago, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Perfect location. Even before we arrived, the concierge, Laurelin, was working hard to make sure our trip was perfect. Laurelin's recommendations for activities and food for us and our two kids (9 & 11) were spot on. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Paul M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I appreciate your compliments of our convenient location and especially that our concierge assisted in making your stay enjoyable for your entire family. Thank you for your recommendation of us to fellow travelers and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Chicago
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The staff is excellent, the doormen, the front desk, the barmen. They make you feel at home. At great place to stay in the heart of Chicago. We have stayed there many times and would go back over and over again

Dear Paul S,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am humbled by your wonderful compliments of our team, and that it is their efforts that make you feel at home. We truly appreciate your continued loyalty to us and look forward to welcoming you back home to The James again soon!

Chicago
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed here for our wedding weekend. When I arrived, my room was not ready (we had the loft king suite). When they found out my wedding was that night, they upgraded me to the penthouse suite! Amazing/beautiful room, could not recommend the James more! Thank you!

2 Thank Mk K
Dear Mk K,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We are truly honored that you chose to spend your wedding with us; we are delighted to have been a part of your special occasion and glad that you enjoyed the upgraded room. We are appreciative of your generous recommendation of us and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was at this hotel through Hotwire and am glad this was the hotel assigned for me and my mom's Chicago stay. The room, grounds, and lobby were very clean, chic, and pretty. I will share, like always, things I love and things the James can improve in detail. The location is supreme!! You can walk anywhere for fine shopping and dining in a matter of 1-7 minutes! I loved that I didn't have to do anything unless I wanted to. If I needed a taxi, it was called for me, pizza delivered- done, reservations- made! Love it! Service was outstanding! The room was very, very comfortable, clean, and chic. Not a whole lot of frills but amenities we enjoyed. The stocked bar and fridge items were expensive but the fridge was great to store leftovers! I also loved the natural products for showering in the room. Its always nice to have to pack a little less. Turndown service, you must call to request it, was the best! You get your drapes closed, night lights and radio turned on to low, room clean up, and a cookie! Improvements- there is a little built in couch thing that really needs to go! Its covering is stuck onto the frame with velcro. YUCK! James, you are too cute for that. Het rid of that area. It makes you feel like you're in a whole anyway. Also, it would be so awesome to have the complimentary car service the hotel says it has available everyday from the morning until some later time in the evening. Those are my two improvements. Great boutique hotel. Glad I had an opportunity to stay there.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong choosing a good room here!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear DivaLadyJ_28,

Thank you for taking then time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your suggestions about our seating area in the room; your candid comments are valuable to us as we are constantly working to improve our guests' experiences. I am glad that you enjoyed many aspects of our hotel, most notably our convenient location and our friendly team. Thank you again for writing and I hope you will include us in your travel plans the next time you return to Chicago!