“Can't Beat the Location!”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #47 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was at this hotel through Hotwire and am glad this was the hotel assigned for me and my mom's Chicago stay. The room, grounds, and lobby were very clean, chic, and pretty. I will share, like always, things I love and things the James can improve in detail. The location is supreme!! You can walk anywhere for fine shopping and dining in a matter of 1-7 minutes! I loved that I didn't have to do anything unless I wanted to. If I needed a taxi, it was called for me, pizza delivered- done, reservations- made! Love it! Service was outstanding! The room was very, very comfortable, clean, and chic. Not a whole lot of frills but amenities we enjoyed. The stocked bar and fridge items were expensive but the fridge was great to store leftovers! I also loved the natural products for showering in the room. Its always nice to have to pack a little less. Turndown service, you must call to request it, was the best! You get your drapes closed, night lights and radio turned on to low, room clean up, and a cookie! Improvements- there is a little built in couch thing that really needs to go! Its covering is stuck onto the frame with velcro. YUCK! James, you are too cute for that. Het rid of that area. It makes you feel like you're in a whole anyway. Also, it would be so awesome to have the complimentary car service the hotel says it has available everyday from the morning until some later time in the evening. Those are my two improvements. Great boutique hotel. Glad I had an opportunity to stay there.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong choosing a good room here!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear DivaLadyJ_28,

Thank you for taking then time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your suggestions about our seating area in the room; your candid comments are valuable to us as we are constantly working to improve our guests' experiences. I am glad that you enjoyed many aspects of our hotel, most notably our convenient location and our friendly team. Thank you again for writing and I hope you will include us in your travel plans the next time you return to Chicago!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had a generally favorable stay here a year ago and when the hotel offered us a free night due to a malfunctioning projector we decided to give The James another go. Turns out we shouldn't have. We would definitely not come back here again. We had two inexcusable customer service issues.

When we arrived the desk person said it would be "five minutes" as the room was being inspected. It was one and a half hours later that we got into our room! After many delays, he said he'd call us when the room was ready. After 30 minutes I thought I'd check and sure enough, the room had been ready, he just didn't call us.

We went to our king loft only to find that...yup you guessed it...the projector didn't work! When I called to talk to someone about this they said they knew it wasn't working. They offered us another room because they knew that the projector wasn't working and chose to put us in there even though another was available. The projector is a minor point really, but it exemplifies how The James operates.

With so many other good hotels in Chicago, I won't be back here.

Room Tip: Choose a room someplace else.

Dear Lungfruit,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am disappointed to read that your return trip was a negative experience due to a myriad of issues. I am sincerely sorry that for the second trip in a row, the projector in your room did not work and for the obviously inconvenience that this caused. As you noted, we pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service to each and every one of our guests and I am sorry that this is not the impression that you were left with. The oversight that you mentioned clearly does not meet our high standards, although I can assure you, we would never purposely put you into a malfunctioning room. I know our Guest Relations Manager has already reached out to you to address your concerns, and I sincerely hope we can re-coup your confidence in us.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights at The James. Check-in was great, the bar is great, service is great and most importantly, the location is great. The James sits one block away from The Magnificent Mile. There are several restaurants within a five minute walk. The only negative I can give this hotel is the room was very tired and not at all 'user-friendly'. For example, the wardrobe is an alcove with a curtain across the front. The safe was positioned in this 'wardrobe' and we had to move the ironing board every time we want to access the safe. There is no desk or dressing table and only one drawer. There was a full length mirror but this was leant against the wall. Not very safe if there were children in the room. The bathroom was also tired, the window blind was stuck up with black tape. The bed was very lumpy and had definitely seen better days. However, the room was very clean.

Overall the hotel is great but a refurbishment of the bedrooms is definitely needed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear janey5600,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced in regards to the room; the conditions you described are certainly not our standard, and I am sorry that you encountered these shortcomings. Despite this setback, I am thankful that you had a positive stay with us overall, thanks to our convenient location and especially our friendly team. Thank you again for bringing these issues to my attention so that they may be rectified, and I hope you will consider us again the next time your travels return you to Chicago.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I like to take short trips and picked Chicago in hopes of seeing the changing fall colors in the area. Our reservation was for three nights.

Our experience with The James Hotel started before we arrived. A few days before our trip, I contacted the concierge for dinner reservations. I had tried to book a reservation at the MK through Open Table and 9:15 PM was the closest to our preferred time of 7:30. The Concierge Lauralin Hefter, was able to confirm a 8 PM reservation for us! Perfect!

When we arrived to check in, Front Desk Manager, Christine Helin, offered us upgrade to a deluxe king room on the 15th floor. The room was just right for us, spacious and very clean with wonderful comfortable bedding. We had a bit of trouble with the TV (caption was on and we couldn't turn it off). Upon pushing the button what I believe was called "Requests" on the phone, a very professional and polite facility engineer came to our door in less than 3 minutes and fixed the problem.

We found that The James was in perfect location. We are big on taking public transportation and the hotel is just a couple of blocks from the Redline train station on Grand. We took the train from the Chicago Midway Airport, Orange Line transfer to Red Line at Roosevelt and got off at Grand. Just $6 for both of us and took less than 30 minutes. From the hotel, we took a walk to Michigan Ave and strolled along the short line.

There are so many wonderful restaurants and bars within a small radius. The James offers a courtesy car that will take guests within a 2 mile radius and we used this service to get to the MK for dinner.

The Housekeeping staff is very friendly, always greeting you with you with a 'hello' and warm smile. They do an excellent job in making sure that your room is clean and that you have fresh towels. We loved the turn down service and tasty evening treat.

Most important, too, we got three great nights' sleep on the wonderful comfortable bedding with crisp sheets and pillows. Since we had a packed schedule of seeing the sights, we didn't use their gym or spa. Nice features if you want them.

The staff at The James made us feel special. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If available and you prefer quiet, I would suggest an upper floor. We enjoyed our king deluxe room r...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Dear LucindaVan,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your generous compliments of our rooms and beds, and glad that they were comfortable for your stay. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with the television, but happy that this was promptly addressed by our team. The best compliment we can receive is to hear about the outstanding efforts of our staff, and I am proud that they were reason you had a wonderful stay and plan to return. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Was here for 2 nights - friendly staff and concierge. Convenient location, just a block from the Magnificent mile. Only complaint would be the elevators - they were slow and often demanded unusually long waits. Rooms were well-appointed, nice turn-down service. Filtered water and complimentary wifi was a bonus.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Dear Base_shifter,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your compliments of our daily turndown service, complimentary WiFI, and especially our fantastic team. I apologize for the delay with the elevators and I am truly sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused during your stay. I hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again the next time you return to Chicago.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the James 4 nights in October and loved it. The location was perfect-4 short blocks to subway, 2 blocks to Magnificent Mile shopping. The best part was the concierge service. We rarely use the concierge, but they were so friendly and helpful. The restaurant recommendations were wonderful and not too expensive. Anytime we asked directions, they printed them out without being asked. Front desk and door staff were very nice too - you can tell the emphasis is on service! Especially appreciated Laurelin. We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floor deluxe standard worth the extra cost

Dear ddtttravel,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. The best compliment we can receive is to hear about the excellent service provided by our team, and especially that they were reason you had a fantastic stay with us. I appreciate you taking the time to share about your experience with us and look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed on the James Hotel recently for an anniversary trip and found the accommodations to be very nice. Décor was updated in an earthy contemporary style, the bedroom was well appointed with a wall mounted television and view of the street, and the bathroom was decent sized with a walk-in shower. Off the bedroom was a dining/lounge area with a table, couch, and stocked pay bar. Staff was friendly and the location was convenient - one block off Michigan Avenue, across the street from a Trader Joe's (something Californian visitors will appreciate) which was super convenient for picking up healthy room snacks. Burke's Bacon Bar (just around the corner from the hotel lobby entrance) was a good place to get some tasty on-the-go slider burgers. Behind a heavy beaded curtain in the Bacon Bar there is a cool little "hidden" cocktail bar that used to be a speakeasy during the prohibition era. For the room we paid $200 on Priceline, tax included, which was a decent value in comparison to other hotels in the vicinity. For that price, I would consider staying at The James again.

Dear Kim010,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We are truly honored that you included us for your special anniversary trip and glad that you had a great experience with us. I appreciate your generous compliments of our room décor and especially that you were able to enjoy our new venue, Burke's Bacon Bar. We often feature great deals on our website, jameshotels.com so I hope that we will see you again soon!