“Stay at the James”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #46 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The James Hotel was truly an excellent experience. The design of the rooms was great. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. The availability was accessible plugs was unbelievable. Although I did not have time to enjoy the snacks or drinks, that was a great item to have available. The food was wonderful at the restaurant and during our breakfast and lunch that were made available for our use. The 2nd floor meeting room presented a comfortable atmosphere. Location was good in that it wasn't too far away from the other places we had to go to. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Penny H
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Penny H,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you had an excellent experience both during your meeting and in your room, thanks to our comfortable beds. Also, thank you for your compliments of David Burke's Primehouse, I'm glad you enjoyed some items from their delicious menu. Thank you again for writing and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I've stayed at The James several times and it is always a pleasant experience. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are decent, and the location is great. Just watch out for the bathroom sink. It is very shallow and you can get sprayed when washing your hands.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Meredith H

Dear Meredith H,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I appreciate your kind compliments of our staff and location, and especially that you have stayed with us before. We truly appreciate your loyatly to us and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel is absolutely fantastic and really makes you feel like a visiting dignitary with each interaction with every single member of the staff. First class service, helpfulness, professionalism, dignity, grace, and manners from the room service waiter to the manager Christine. Front desk staff Kirstin & Juila. Every entrance and exit was made personal by the doormen Bernard, Jason, Scott, Alejnbrao & Lucas. I asked Jason(doormen) if there was a Walgreen's or Rite Aid near by ( I had to get my daughter some pediasure), he offered to run to Walgreen's and get it for me. That is TOP-NOTCH SERVICE!! JASON YOUR THE BEST! Fantastic! Beautiful, clean room with great toiletries, super comfortable King beds, and quiet. We had a loft suite it was such a amazing room!!! Huge bedroom, living area, 2 lcd tv's, plus a projection screen, bath tub & separate shower and all the added features! They have a Audi Q7 that will drop you off for free, free bike rentals free WiFi. Stayed here for 8 days. Arrived on a Sept 7, Saturday morning at 6:15 room was ready gave us a early check in. Location is in the heart of the Magnificent Mile, best Chicago restaurants out side the hotel, step's from the best shopping, central to everything navy pier $5 cab ride, the loop $4 cab ride, river walk 7-9 minute walk. My daughter 3 loved it she didn't want to come home. 5 star all the way just how I like it! I don't think I'll ever stay anywhere else in Chicago.

Room Tip: Get the loft room it is amazing.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sam_SD00

Dear Sam_SD00,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am truly honored by your compliments of our staff, and that their efforts made your stay an unforgettable one. I also appreciate your compliment of our loft suites and that they were comfortable for your entire family. I am delighted to hear that you plan to stay with us whenever your travels bring you to Chicago and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

The best hotel in Chicago ! Very good location , especially for the tourist. The staff in The James is amazing and make us fill home away from home. Everyone was smiling, friendly and always happy to assist with any enquires. The bed was also so comfortable. We had a chance to dine in the David Burke steakhouse and it was our best dinner in Chicago, the steak was delicious and the service was wonderful.

Room Tip: The studio suite is a good option for a family or for a couple.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ananyev

Dear Ananyev,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable time with us, thanks to our amazing staff and a delicious dinner at David Burke's Primehouse. The best compliment we can recieve is to hear that you felt at home during your stay with us and we sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I just can't thank you enough for the amazing service and for making my honeymoon stay a one to remember. we loved breakfast, we loved the concierge attitude and professionalism of every employee we dealt with...the champagne and the chocolate were the cherry-on-top!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mario M
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Mario M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I appreciate your kind compliments of our staff; we are truly delighted that you chose to spend such a special occassion with us and glad that you had a wonderful time. Congratulations on your wedding and I hope we will welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I travel to Chicago frequently and try to stay at different hotels to get a feel for each one. The positives about The James, great location, doormen very friendly and helpful, bed very comfortable, bathroom spacious, fast elevators. The negatives décor very out dated, I think they are going for a retro look in the lobby but it didn't work for me. We stayed in a upgraded queen suite. I felt like I was in a college dorm with miss matched furniture and art work. We were looking forward to sitting and watching the football game on TV but after sitting on the furniture decided the local sports bar was a better choice. This is a more upscale hotel but the bad furniture really has to go.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mindy S,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our comfortable beds and especially about the outstanding service provided by our doormen. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with our furniture; this certainly is something that we addressing to ensure we are providing an exceptional experience for our guests. Thank you again for staying and I hope we will see you again soon!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

From the moment we stepped out of our taxi we were greeted by the friendly doormen of The James hotel. They were quick to collect our luggage and bring it in to the lobby while we dealt with paying or driver. The lobby is comfortable and decorated well. The entire staff we encountered during our stay were helpful and often went out of their way to make every bit of our stay comfortable and special. They offered tips on sights, restaurants, and entertainment. We were welcomed back every time we returned to the hotel with friendly smiles and inquires about our day. Truly a special place, close to everything on the miracle mile. We were able to walk most places and felt safe doing so even late at night. Give this place a shot, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a street view room for city skyline, for peace and quiet and interior room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank amberjackmarie

Dear amberjackmarie,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear that you found our location convenient to Michigan Avenue and especially that our staff was the reason you had such a great visit with us. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travel return you to Chicago!