“GREAT LOCATION”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #46 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This was our first time to Chicago, having been to New York for 10 years running. Always difficult going somewhere new, have we booked the right hotel, have we got the location right .... answer to both questions, Yes.

The James is modern and simplistic, a hop and skip to the Magnificent Mile and an easy walk to most of the 'sites'.

Our room was on the top floor, not big, but everything we needed, the drawers were under a bench which took us a while to find, and the sliding door to the bathroom/wardrobe area was a bit stiff and heavy.

Only a couple of niggling complaints, if you can call them complaints, only two sachets of instant coffee (neither decaf) and two tea ... it's rare these days in top class hotels not to have a coffee machine .. just an idea. We didn't get turn down service for two nights and the first night we arrived the housekeeping wanted to do a turn down service when we had only been in the room a couple of hours.

FREE WI FI .... hurrah for the James.

Had breakfast in the restaurant, although there is a Grand de Luxe Cafe, or something like that, nearby, cash only and no reservations.

We found the portions huge, but the food was good, lots of variety and apart from the coffee which was dreadful (there is a Starbucks over the road) ..... reasonably priced.

So, I would recommend the James, for its position, the friendly staff and because it's modern, if you want traditional this won't suit.

Tourist tip ... take an architectural boat trip, we used The First Lady, 90 minutes, very informative and a good way to see some fabulous art deco buildings.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Shoegirlat44,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We are honored to have been part of your first trip to Chicago, and appreciate your generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers. I am also thankful for your compliments of our staff and WIFi, and appreciate your suggestions for items in your room that would make your stay more enjoyable. Thank you again for writing, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!

There are newer reviews for The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The James is a great boutique hotel, with quirky rooms, comfortable beds and good facilities. The 3 nights for 2 deal on offer when I stayed was an outstanding deal and I will keep an eye out for that again when coming to Chicago

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Andrea-ACE,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I appreciate your kind compliments of our convenient location, and glad that you enjoyed our rooms and comfortable beds during your stay. Most of all, I am honored to hear that you would stay with us again; I hope we will see you again soon!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I enjoyed my brief stay at The James Hotel. The hotel staff and décor brought that attention to detail that I so appreciate while traveling. My room seemed small if I would have had anyone but myself in there, but it made good use of every space. The bathroom was very clean and I loved the ecofriendly toiletries.
The meeting staff also did a great job of accommodating our every request. We discovered we had a couple birthdays within our group and banquets did a fantastic job of coming through with a last minute request of cake to help celebrate the occasion!
I look forward to returning to The James, and hope my stay is longer next time.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear kris_tcu,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your compliments of our attention to detail, and thrilled that our banquet staff was able to assist in making your group's visit a great one. Most of all, I am delighted that you plan to visit again; we look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This hotel gave me mixed feelings. I could not fault the staff who were friendly and extremely helpful when my iPad would connect to their wifi. However I found the hotel just a bit "over the top" for my liking. It's extremely modern but for me too much so. It took us several minutes to even figure out how to work the shower, the control was something I had never seen before. The modern sink was very shallow and reminded me of a horse trough. There was only one drawer in the whole room so we had nowhere to put anything away out of sight and even this one drawer was positioned under a shelf which held the coffee making kit so you had to move everything before being able to get to the drawer at all.
All of these things are small matters its true but added together they were very annoying. As for the turn down service that became a pain as they wanted to come into the room just as we're changing for an evening out on 3 occasions On the one occasion they did do a turn down they moved everything we had placed where we wanted them,turned off the clock and put a radio on that we did not want and left dressing gowns we could never use as they were so big and heavy draped all over the bed so we had to remove the before we could go to bed.. We ended up leaving the do not disturb notice on the door every evening. We found the restaurant was good on the food but not on the price. Very expensive and needs watching. We were supposed to be getting a free breakfast every morning but got a bill every day as we were told we had exceeded the amount we could have. All we ate was porridge and toast, hardly a banquet and what is more the bill was different on 3 occasions even though we had exactly the same each time so check your bill carefully.
All in all this hotel was not for me. For some it might be great but I prefer somewhere a little less pretentious.

Room Tip: All rooms look out into the street as its an inner city hotel but one away from the lift will be les...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear marilynandmick,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your candid feedback about your experience with us and sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our complimentary turndown service, as we usually recieve many compliments about it. I apologize for any inconvenience with your bill for breakfast and I hope this was rectified during your stay. I sincerely hope we would have the opportunity to host you again, as we pride ourselves on offering guests a genuinely guest-centric experience; thank you for your thoughts and I hope we will see you again.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Booked this hotel through expedia when there was a promotion - great value as the other branded hotels are quite expensive. Turns out this hotel is really neat.
My flight was early so I arrived at around 11am - earlier than check in time. I booked a king bedroom, they said they dont have it ready yet, but they have a double room all set and see if I want to take that one instead. My friend and I agreed and it's a nice room on the 9/f, facing Macy's.
The location is fantastic - right off Mag Mile, almost every day we went back to the hotel after morning / afternoon activities before heading out again for dinner or what not.
The house keeping staff were really nice I must say, nothing special that they did but their attitude and speed of response when I asked for things were just hands down awesome.
The decor was neat. Simple but comfortable indeed.
They have what looks like a great spa and gym - but we didnt have time for those. They also have a few bikes for the guests for rental but it's in limited quantity. iMacs in the lobby for guests' usage.
By the way we get a free cookie or little cake from the steakhouse downstairs every day. sweet.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear S F,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you had a great first experience with us thanks to our convenient location and amenities such as turndown treats. Most of all, I am delighted to hear about the service provided by our housekeeping staff and their quick response to your requests. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at The James for my bachelorette party. It was very close to Excalibur and the night life we were looking for. The lobby was elegant and clean. The rooms were nice and eclectic with white furniture ...looked crisp. Overall enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2012
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Lanzen,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your generous compliments and delighted that you chose to spend your bachelorette weekend with us. I hope you had a great celebration and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The accomadations service and location is great. The staff is friendly,and they are very accomidating to your needs. the rooms are impeccable, location is great. The food @ the Burke Restaurant is delicious.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Jennifer K,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that it was our accomodating staff that made your experience with us a great one. Additionally, I am glad you enjoyed the delicious food from David Burke's Primehouse and our comfortable rooms. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!