WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The James Chicago

The James Chicago
Ranked #38 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
cheshire
“The perfect hotel in the perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

From the minute we stepped out of the cab we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff and this continued throughout our 7 day stay in Chicago. The appointment and comfort of the rooms more than matched the helpfullness of the staff. The hotel more than matched up to its description of a boutique hotel and this coupled with its central location makes it the ideal place to stay in chicago

Room Tip: we stayed in a 7th floor room and this meant e were clear of any traffic noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear rossnagh,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your kind compliments of our comfortable rooms, and most of all, that it was the efforts of our staff that made your stay outstanding. We are humbled by your wonderful recommendation that we are the ideal place to stay in town and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Korean first
Aruba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had a tremendous experience at this hotel and was very impressed by it. The staff is genuinely friendly and cares about their guests, including the fantastic doormen. I prefer smaller boutique hotels, and The James does it right. Style and comfort in public areas and in the rooms, plus it is situated at a perfect location. I loved my room, which was also surprisingly quiet, clean, and the bed was very comfortable/cozy. It was so nice to have the desk/table face into the room instead of facing a wall. A superior brand of toiletry products is offered in the bathroom. Breakfast was great, with generous portions served, and I received especially great service from a gentleman named Juan. I found my rate to be reasonable, with breakfast included, and free WiFi. The WiFi also worked well and was easily accessible. The little touch of a different cookie at turn down each night, made me smile every time. I will definitely be a repeat guest at this lovely Chicago hotel, which felt like home.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear LisaL,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We are grateful for your generous compliments of our rooms, WiFI, and especially our friendly staff. The best compliment we can recieve is to hear that you felt at home during your stay, and especially that you will be staying again. Thank you again for writing, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Chicago!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

All around this hotel is OK but the location is what makes it a 4 star hotel. I have no major complaints about this hotel room was ready, good service. I was not a big fan of the beds. Next time I go to Chicago I will probably stay in the Hilton a few streets over.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Doug D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. While you did enjoy some aspects of your stay, namely our location and service, I am sorry to hear that you felt that overall it was okay. This is not the experience we hope our guests leave with and I am sorry to hear that you plan to stay elsewhere next time. I hope that we would have the opportunity to welcome you back again and provide you with The James experience you deserve.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I recently stayed at The James from June 28 until July 1'st for a vacation travelling alone. I was amazed that the hotel was better than I expected.

The hotel gym is COMMERCIAL GYM quality. I am serious the GYM is beyond anything you can imagine, I got a little teary eyed with excitement when I walked in!!!!

The lobby bar is a great social spot, the bar staff are friendly and can mix an amazing drink- *tip would be to ask them to make something not on the menu but their own creation!

The housekeeping did an amazing job- they always managed to be in NINJA mode and cleaned my room when I was out and about. The moving of my robe to my bed, dimming of the lights and the cookie are a nice touch when they come for the second cleaning of the day right around 8:00pm.

The room I was in was a deluxe King it had the wet bar which I highly recommend - the room was huge and had great amenities. A place to sit and sip a drink, a table to sit and have a takeout meal- a big window to check what the weather was that day and HUGE TOWELS and bath robes. Bedding was premium and the beds are super comfy. The temperature was easily controlled and kept the room cool, and the lighting was sexy (everything dims). Decorated to be more of a Condo/trendy apartment than your generic hotel. I felt like I was in a better version of my CONDO in TORONTO while here- it was like home but with PERKS and comforts galore!

The location of this hotel is amazing for those that want a great night life (Rush street) or to shop. The beach is also closer than it seems on the map. Really walkable to everything from the hotel.

This hotel makes you feel like a million bucks! THANK YOU to everyone at THE JAMES for making my first time travelling alone so memorable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Dear jesstrin,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We are truly humbled by your generous compliments of our gym, lobby bar, and turndown service, and are glad that all of this made your experience a memorable one. Most of all, we thankful that you felt at home during your stay and very much hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. Thank you again for writing and we hope to see you the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great location. Outstanding staff and mean EVERYONE I encountered there was fantastic! This is the first time I can say that abut any hotel! Usually there are one or two that are unpleasant and you attempt to avoid them. And if it's the front desk that usually will prompt me right away to NEVER stay at the hotel. Not the experience I had here. The front desk was very personable and made you feel very comfortable. They treated you like they truly appreciated that I picked The James hotel to stay at. I didn't feel dis-missed once by anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Grant H,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience at The James Chicago. I am very sorry to hear about the inconveniences in your room and that you had a mistake on your bill. This is certainly not the experience that we expect our guests to have and I am truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations or our own. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you for writing and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Alamo, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a property where style trumps substance. Very nice location and very nice décor. However, they sacrificed practicality for design. Little things didn't work in the room which showed a lack of attention to detail. For the price, I was disappointed. Oh, and watch your bill upon checkout. I found a $400+ error on mine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Grant H
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Grant H,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay in regards to broken features in your room and billing errors. This is certainly not the standard we set forth, and I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations or our own. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline in order to rectify these issues; I can be reached at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

You can't beat the location of this hotel! Everything is walkable, great restaurants, close to the loop, close to great shopping.

The decor is modern, chic, comtemporary... very cool! Clientele is mixed, so you don't need to feel part of the young, hip crowd to feel comfortable in this hotel.

Service was fantastic!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Lisa P,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is great to hear that both our convenient location and fantastic staff were notable for your experience. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you travels return you to Chicago!