“Great Location”

Ranked #45 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Location”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

All around this hotel is OK but the location is what makes it a 4 star hotel. I have no major complaints about this hotel room was ready, good service. I was not a big fan of the beds. Next time I go to Chicago I will probably stay in the Hilton a few streets over.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Doug D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. While you did enjoy some aspects of your stay, namely our location and service, I am sorry to hear that you felt that overall it was okay. This is not the experience we hope our guests leave with and I am sorry to hear that you plan to stay elsewhere next time. I hope that we would have the opportunity to welcome you back again and provide you with The James experience you deserve.

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I recently stayed at The James from June 28 until July 1'st for a vacation travelling alone. I was amazed that the hotel was better than I expected.

The hotel gym is COMMERCIAL GYM quality. I am serious the GYM is beyond anything you can imagine, I got a little teary eyed with excitement when I walked in!!!!

The lobby bar is a great social spot, the bar staff are friendly and can mix an amazing drink- *tip would be to ask them to make something not on the menu but their own creation!

The housekeeping did an amazing job- they always managed to be in NINJA mode and cleaned my room when I was out and about. The moving of my robe to my bed, dimming of the lights and the cookie are a nice touch when they come for the second cleaning of the day right around 8:00pm.

The room I was in was a deluxe King it had the wet bar which I highly recommend - the room was huge and had great amenities. A place to sit and sip a drink, a table to sit and have a takeout meal- a big window to check what the weather was that day and HUGE TOWELS and bath robes. Bedding was premium and the beds are super comfy. The temperature was easily controlled and kept the room cool, and the lighting was sexy (everything dims). Decorated to be more of a Condo/trendy apartment than your generic hotel. I felt like I was in a better version of my CONDO in TORONTO while here- it was like home but with PERKS and comforts galore!

The location of this hotel is amazing for those that want a great night life (Rush street) or to shop. The beach is also closer than it seems on the map. Really walkable to everything from the hotel.

This hotel makes you feel like a million bucks! THANK YOU to everyone at THE JAMES for making my first time travelling alone so memorable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Dear jesstrin,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We are truly humbled by your generous compliments of our gym, lobby bar, and turndown service, and are glad that all of this made your experience a memorable one. Most of all, we thankful that you felt at home during your stay and very much hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. Thank you again for writing and we hope to see you the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

Chicago
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great location. Outstanding staff and mean EVERYONE I encountered there was fantastic! This is the first time I can say that abut any hotel! Usually there are one or two that are unpleasant and you attempt to avoid them. And if it's the front desk that usually will prompt me right away to NEVER stay at the hotel. Not the experience I had here. The front desk was very personable and made you feel very comfortable. They treated you like they truly appreciated that I picked The James hotel to stay at. I didn't feel dis-missed once by anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Grant H,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience at The James Chicago. I am very sorry to hear about the inconveniences in your room and that you had a mistake on your bill. This is certainly not the experience that we expect our guests to have and I am truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations or our own. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you for writing and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Alamo, California
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a property where style trumps substance. Very nice location and very nice décor. However, they sacrificed practicality for design. Little things didn't work in the room which showed a lack of attention to detail. For the price, I was disappointed. Oh, and watch your bill upon checkout. I found a $400+ error on mine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Grant H
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Grant H,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay in regards to broken features in your room and billing errors. This is certainly not the standard we set forth, and I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations or our own. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline in order to rectify these issues; I can be reached at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Chicago
Reviewed July 1, 2013

You can't beat the location of this hotel! Everything is walkable, great restaurants, close to the loop, close to great shopping.

The decor is modern, chic, comtemporary... very cool! Clientele is mixed, so you don't need to feel part of the young, hip crowd to feel comfortable in this hotel.

Service was fantastic!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Lisa P,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is great to hear that both our convenient location and fantastic staff were notable for your experience. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you travels return you to Chicago!

Flint, MI
Reviewed July 1, 2013

After not being able to get a hotel in the North Michigan Ave location we wanted for a reasonable price, we booked this hotel on a third party site that we used for the first time. We still paid more than we usually do even for Chicago but we were OK with the outcome. This was our first time at The James.

We were celebrating my sons birthday and high-school gradation so I let the hotel know in advance and we were upgraded to a king loft suite. That was a very nice gesture! Excellent first impression.

We booked this trip prior to the Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup but when we found out the parade and rally would be going on Friday morning we decided to come into town earlier in the day for the festivities. We got into town around 8am. We were not able to check into the hotel but we did pre-register and they took our cell phone number to call us when the room was ready. We parked in a public structure down the street and paid $39 per 24 hrs. We dont need access to our car while in town so this worked out fine for us and if we needed to run to the car it was still very close and easily accessible.

The hotel is in an excellent location. Very central to a lot of areas in the city. Easy walking distance to Michigan Ave and all the shopping. Many shops and restaurants within steps of the hotel as well. The hotel is in an older building so the elevators are small and the hotel is set up a little different than a modern hotels that have long straight hallways. We actually had a hard time finding our room the first time but a member of the housekeeping staff noticed we looked lost and came to our rescue right away.

Check in was very quick and easy. James at the front desk was very friendly and welcoming. The lobby is not that large and a little on the low key side, not that glamourous or impressive. A odd piece of art that is actually old ratty suit cases sits near the elevators. But they do have nice chairs and couches for sitting and free wi-fi. They provide fruit infused ice water at the desk, as well as several selections of daily newspapers. There is a mini library to check out books and magazines and of course they have free bikes for you to use. They also have a complimentary car service available. Since we were only here one night we were not able to take advantage of all the amenities but I was impressed at what they offer.

We were able to check in around 2pm. The room was a king loft suite and the configuration was not exactly what I think of when you say loft suite. Suite makes me think of two rooms (seperate bedroom). It is more of an open studio apartment set up. There is a open living space with sofa, chair, tv, small table/chairs and wet bar. Then off to one side is the bathroom and a king bed set up on a platform (you have to step up about 7 inches). There is no wall for the bed so it is totally visible to the sitting area. On the other side of the room is a "media room" which consists of a king size mattress in the corner of the room sunk down into a frame almost on the floor and made out to be more of a lounging area. It is not made up as a bed. There is a large blank wall for the projection screen TV and there is surround sound speakers in there. So the intent is you lounge on the "bed" and watch TV/movies. There is no door to this area either but it is more like its own room or "nook" and does offer some privacy as you cant not see the living space or the other bed if your laying in here.

Although it was not what I envisioned, it worked out well for us and the two teenaged boys we were traveling with. We used the main bed and they slept in the media room. I simply called guest services and had them bring up pillows and blankets for that bed. The front desk also has a selection of DVD's to borrow so you can watch movies in the media room on the projection screen.

The boys said sleeping in the media room was very comfortable and they had no complaints. Since the bed in set up in the corner of that room you can only access it from one side (which is a tight fit) You sorta just have to crawl across the bed to get in it. Our king bed was comfortable as well. My only concerns there would be the space between the bed and the walls is very tight. Also the electrical plug on the wall was far from the side table so my charger cord for my phone wasn't long enough to let me charge my phone and have it sitting on the side table next to the bed.

The bathroom is large and very modern. There was a separate walk in shower and a large tub (there is a hand held shower sprayer in the tub also). There are plenty of towels and full size bath products on the wall. The bath products smell great (peppermint) and really wake you up in the morning! There is also a full size hair dryer. There were two robes and sets of slippers provided in the room. A iron and safe are located in the closet. My one complaint about the bathroom is the door, it is a sliding door and was very stiff and hard to slide. Also there is no lock. It just slides shut and thats it.

Our room had no view. Our windows faced the air conditioning units and other exterior walls of the building. This also caused it be very dark in the room, not much natural lighting and surprisingly there was not much lighting inside the room either.

I had read about the turn down service and I assumed it was automatic so when we went to dinner I was anxious to get back and see that we had our robes laid out and "treats" on the beds. That did not happen. So either we were missed or this is a service you have to request. Which if you have to request it, we wouldnt have known about it because there was no mention at check in or anything like that where we would have known to ask for it.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here. I was impressed with the staff. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming. The location was also very good. We would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Griswolds198,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review about your experience and are glad that you were impressed with our staff and convenient location. We are honored that you chose to spend your son's birthday and graduation here and that the Loft suite was conducive for your family. I apologize that you did not receive turndown service; we provide this for all of our guests and I am sorry that this was not the case during your stay. Despite this setback, it is wonderful to hear that you had an overall positive experience and will stay with us again. Thank you again for taking the time to write and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Canton, Mi
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Nice hotel in a good location, walking distance to shopping, navy peir.
Just down the street from Heaven on Seven if you want a taste of New Orleans.
Rooms are very nice size.
Room service breakfast was very good, prompt, good size portions and hot when arrived.
Some negatives, room was not ready until after 5:00pm, we were meeting friends for dinner and just barely made it.
room also not ready the next day when we returned from a day sightseeing and shopping, had to request housekeeping, got it ready about 4:00pm.
there was a loose faucet in the mini bar and a wire haning from the TV.
None of these little problems would have been noticed, but they add up. First class hotel does everything right - so if one little problem it's not noticed .
Also, the art work is very interesting except for the pile of old suitcases in the lobby, which you have to walk around to get to the elevators. Not sure what they were going for - comment on travlers? until I realized it was supposed to be art I thought some construction debris hadn't be removed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Terrence T
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Terrence T,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad that you enjoyed our convenient location and breakfast with in room dining. However, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the delay of your room being ready and the items needing repair in your room. This is not the experience we expect our guests to have and apologize for any negative impact this had during your stay. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline to obtain more information on where you stayed so that we may remedy these issues; you can reach me at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you again for bringing this to my attention and I look forward to speaking with you soon.