“Fav in Chicago”

Ranked #43 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Fav in Chicago”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We live here in The chicagoland area and the James is home away from home. Great staff, clean property, hip decor and a great bed. Great location around Rush st. Michigan Ave. and a variety of retail stores. David Burke Primehouse in lobby. Great steaks and burgers that are dry aged. A true hidden gem!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ee357
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear ee357,

Thank you for taking the time to share about yor recent stay at The James Chicago! We appreciate your wonderful compliments of the comfortable bed and the delicious menu featured at David Burke's Primehouse. Most of all, I am honored that our wonderful staff attribute to making this your home-away-from-home and we are truly thankful for your loyalty to us. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

We had a great weekend stay at the James. The staff was friendly and knowledgable and the location is outstanding. We did not use the restaurant since we made other reservations prior to check in at the hotel
I can't wait for another stay in Chicago and at the James

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Chef1959
TheJamesChiGM, Front Office Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Chef1959,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us this weekend at The James Chicago. I am appreciative of your compliments of our location and our friendly staff. I am especially glad to hear that your first visit will not be your last; we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Chicago!

MarylinB
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Great location, nearby The Magnificient Mile, and 15' by car to main attractions... very good service, very clean, service room variety not so great but if you are in Chicago you should eat out everyday, breakfast is more than ok although. Price/value ok. Definitely would come back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank MarylinB
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear MarylinB,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We appreciate your feedback about the variety of our room service menu, but are glad that you had an enjoyable experience thanks to our outstanding staff. Most of all, we are delighted to hear that your first stay will not be your last and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Cupertino, California
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We really love this place. I am from San Francisco and i have been to chicago twice and both the times i have stayed at the James. My experience just keeps getting better. I love this place in every ways like service, price, people and amenities. It is a pretty good location as well as most of the tourists spots are walking/biking distances or max to max a 10-15$ cab charges. Must try hotel :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Parth V
Dear Parth V,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our service and convenient amenities; we are especially thankful that you are a returning guest and had an enjoyable experience on your return trip. We are truly humbled by your recommendation, and hope to see you the next time you visit Chicago!

Woodland Hills, CA
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Hello My New Home in Chicago!

Modern, boutique-y, sexy. I love The James!! I had called the night before asking if I could check in a day early. No problem (and they honored the rate for my other booked nights even though it was more). When my cab dropped me off a half block away and I was struggling with my luggage, a bellman appeared out of nowhere looking horrified and promptly whisked me and my luggage into the hotel. Great first impression! Upon check in I requested a room with the best view possible, which was granted.

Location: About a block & a half from Michigan Ave. Tons of restaurants to chose from, shopping galore and within walking distance to many tourist attractions (Navy Pier, John Hancock Building, Lake Shore Drive, etc.)

The room: When I walked in I breathed a sigh of relief and immediately felt at home. Super comfy bed and pillows, plenty of room, great city view, nice lounger chair, modern bathroom with an ample supply of body wash, shampoo & conditioner, which was refreshing and actually something that I felt comfortable washing my hair with. Cute little nook with a table and couch (even though I didn't use it). Free WiFi as well. As a few others have mentioned, I had a slight issue with hot water on one of the days, but it resolved itself within a few minutes. One small critique was the variety of channels to watch on tv (James, you need the Bravo channel!) and the tv guide didn't match what was actually on.

Room service: Ordered a fruit bowl one day and steak frites for dinner another. The steak was a bit fattier than I would have liked, but was juicy and tasted delicious. The asiago truffle fries that came with it: oh.my.god. Beyond addicting. It also came with a fresh popover, but I'm not a fan of popovers in general, so I took an obligatory bite and that was it.

Housekeeping: Wonderful. Room was cleaned immaculately each day and received turn down service each night. It's nice to come back to your dimly lit room with soft music playing and a freshly baked cookie (each night a different type) on the bed next to your robe. One day someone knocked on my door to replace the shower curtain that housekeeping had reported, when I didn't even notice any problem. I like that they pay attention to the tiniest of details. There is no ice machine, but at turn down, a bucket filled with ice was always left by the mini bar.

The gym: Kind of small but it's amazing how many quality pieces of equipment fit in there. I worked it out every day! ; ) Loved the pitchers of ice water with orange slices in... perfect to re-hydrate!

Other: Helpful, friendly staff, Trader Joe's & Starbucks across the street, triple filtered water, which is replenished each day, and check out at 2pm!

Love this hotel! Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank K4Lakers
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear K4Lakers,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your stay with us at The James Chicago! I am delighted to hear that our amenities such as complimentary WiFi and triple filtered water in your room, along with our delicious In Room Dining menu all attributed to a great experience. I apologize that we did not offer the Bravo channel, but I appreciate your feedback and we are looking to expand our channel offerings soon. Most of all, I am humbled to hear that the amazing service provided by our houskeeping department and bellmen made your stay outstanding. I am thankful that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to your new home at The James Chicago soon!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip and thoroughly enjoyed the extra touches of service provided. I haven't been in a hotel for a long time that fills your ice bucket, leaves free cookies plus sets the mood with lighting and radio for your return in the evening. Enjoyed the bathrobe, too. Bed is comfy, room very clean and I liked their little desk nook and free wi-fi for working when in my room. The conciege recommended some great restaurants. My colleagues and I got to use their car service at no charge a few times for a ride to a restaurant. It's in a great location, just a block from the Magnificent Mile. Only quirky thing was the bathroom sink - it's square and very shallow so roll up your sleeves when washing your hands! Only other negative was the TV - not that many channels offered and the on-tv guide was out of sync with what was actually on. I guess I could have called to let them know but it wasn't that big of a deal to me (except there was no MSNBC).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SFCupCake
Dear SFCupCake,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your wonderful compliments of our amenities such as turndown service and comfortable beds. Most of all, I am glad to hear that our friendly staff made your experience a great one. I apologize for the shortcoming with the television; we are constantly in the process of updating our amenities to be the most conducive to our guests' needs, so your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are looking into updates. Thank you again for writing, and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was my first trip to Chicago and my girlfriend suggested we stay downtown one night so we could take advantage of the shopping and activities over St. Patrick's Day weekend. We stayed in one of the Loft rooms, and I have to say it was one of the nicest, most comfortable rooms I have ever stayed in. The layout and flow of the space was awesome, the bed was so comfortable, and the media nook was the perfect place to relax and unwind after a busy day shopping! I will definitely be coming back here very soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank robbybob1
Dear robbyrob1,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The James Chicago. We appreciate and are humbled by your generous compliments of our comfortable loft rooms and that you had a luxurious experience with us. Most of all, I am so glad to hear that your first stay will not be your last and that you plan to stay again soon. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back!