“Great service”

Ranked #43 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
San Francisco, California
“Great service”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip and thoroughly enjoyed the extra touches of service provided. I haven't been in a hotel for a long time that fills your ice bucket, leaves free cookies plus sets the mood with lighting and radio for your return in the evening. Enjoyed the bathrobe, too. Bed is comfy, room very clean and I liked their little desk nook and free wi-fi for working when in my room. The conciege recommended some great restaurants. My colleagues and I got to use their car service at no charge a few times for a ride to a restaurant. It's in a great location, just a block from the Magnificent Mile. Only quirky thing was the bathroom sink - it's square and very shallow so roll up your sleeves when washing your hands! Only other negative was the TV - not that many channels offered and the on-tv guide was out of sync with what was actually on. I guess I could have called to let them know but it wasn't that big of a deal to me (except there was no MSNBC).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SFCupCake
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear SFCupCake,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your wonderful compliments of our amenities such as turndown service and comfortable beds. Most of all, I am glad to hear that our friendly staff made your experience a great one. I apologize for the shortcoming with the television; we are constantly in the process of updating our amenities to be the most conducive to our guests' needs, so your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are looking into updates. Thank you again for writing, and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was my first trip to Chicago and my girlfriend suggested we stay downtown one night so we could take advantage of the shopping and activities over St. Patrick's Day weekend. We stayed in one of the Loft rooms, and I have to say it was one of the nicest, most comfortable rooms I have ever stayed in. The layout and flow of the space was awesome, the bed was so comfortable, and the media nook was the perfect place to relax and unwind after a busy day shopping! I will definitely be coming back here very soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank robbybob1
Dear robbyrob1,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The James Chicago. We appreciate and are humbled by your generous compliments of our comfortable loft rooms and that you had a luxurious experience with us. Most of all, I am so glad to hear that your first stay will not be your last and that you plan to stay again soon. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Olathe, Kansas, United States
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I loved everything about our recent stay at The James!!!!! Every staff person we encountered was fantastic. The room was beautiful and the amenities were great! David Burke's Primehouse inside of The James offers great food as well. LOVED IT!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy C
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Tracy C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay with us at The James Chicago. It is great to hear that you loved many aspects of our hotel, including our amenities and David Burke's Primehouse. Most of all, I am humbled to hear that our incredible staff made your experience fantastic. We appreciate your wonderful compliments and look forward to welcoming you back to The James soon!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed in the James for 3 nights while in Chicago. The room was terrific, great big bed, lovely bar in the room and terrific shower.
The staff were very helpful and were happy to point us in the right direction for breakfast, dinner and lunch!
We stayed on a room only basis, so we didn't get to sample the breakfast.
We did use the gym, it was well maintained and had lovely cucumber water to quench our thirst. Machines were all top quality.
It was very central to everywhere we wanted to visit.
There's not much of a bar, but that doesn't matter as there are so many in the city to choose from.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Iseultfitz
Dear lseultfitz,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. We are very appreciative of your generous compliments of our gym and convenient downtown location. Most of all, I am delighted to hear that our staff was helpful and that you plan on returning. Thank you again for taking the time to write, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Melbourne
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed at the James in March 2012, a nice trendy hotel, with clean lines, and not too much frou frou. Great location, close to all the action of Michigan Avenue. Nice clean bathroom and rooms. Although the bathroom door was a bit dodgy it didn't detract from the experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank speedboat
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear speedboat,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your generous compliments of our decor, clean rooms, and our convenient location. I apologize for the inconvenience with your bathrooom door, but am relieved that it did not affect an overall great experience with us. Thank you again for writing, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Northville, Michigan
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I just stayed at The James Hotel. The service was great, but I found the rooms to be shabby. I was surprised how worn the rooms were based on pictures and reviews. The hotel is supposed to have a clean, sparse, modern look, but the first room I was put in had peeling wallpaper, all the wood surfaces were worn, chipped or water stained. The room was clean, but felt very worn out. I ended up upgrading to a larger room by paying a fee. It was a bit better and brighter, but wood surfaces still worn and chipped. Over the king bed there was one picture off to the side and two holes in the wall where the other picture was suppose to be located.

The bathroom has large mounted bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the shower versus the little bottles. It felt like a gym. Personal preference on my part, but I prefer the little containers to something 100's of people have had their hands on before I got into the shower.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cathwig
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Cathwig,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. After reading your comments, I wanted to reach out in regards to the room issues you mentioned. The conditions you described are not what we expect our guests to experience and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you offline to obtain more information about which room you stayed with us in; I can be reached via email at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you for writing and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in january 2013. First experience in Chicago. Hotel is small. Rooms are nice with comfortable bed. Friendly staff. We passed through some hotels that would have suited better to us. If you are not fussy this hotel would be perfect.

• Stayed January 2013
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear jw1988,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad that you found our location to be convenient and that our friendly staff made a positive impression. I am disappointed that we were not conducive to your preferences; we always try to uniquely accommodate each guest and assist in making your stay outstanding. If you decide to visit again, our team would be glad to help in advance. Thank you again for writing and I hope to welcome you back again.