“Nice stay in Chicago”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #52 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed for a weekend at The James. The room was clean an spacious. The staff were very friendly, polite and helpful. The location is great - just off Michigan Avenue. The decor isn't exactly my taste, though the others with me loved it. I really like the environmental consciousness.

We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We were in the center without a view, but it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear GRJones3,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your thoughts about your recent experience at The James Chicago. We appreciate that our wonderful staff, location, and efforts to be enviromentally conscious will make you a return guest. Thank you again for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Write a ReviewReviews (3,437)

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Great location if you're in town for shopping the Gold Coast or visiting the museums. Also, the service was great (attentive, friendly). The hotel and the room, however, was sliding toward the shabby side. Perhaps it's because the furniture isn't the best quality (think CB2 instead of Crate and Barrel, for instance). Maybe the furniture looked good for the first few years but it wasn't really made to stand up to heavy use. The room, king facing Ontario, was a typical size but with an efficient layout; thus, the room seemed larger than it really was. The room's interior design could be described as Clockwork Orange--lots of white with a few faux-modern touches--this contributed to it looking tidy and reasonably clean. Overall, though, you could tell that the decor was basically slapping lipstick on a cleaned-up pig. I agree with most reviewers that this hotel is probably best for 20-to-30 somethings looking for someplace kinda hip-looking; the room is nice enough, but it's not really meant for hanging out. The bed was comfy; so, overall, it's a reasonably good place to spend one or two nights if you can get a lower rate for the room.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear JetSetLibrarian,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. Although you enjoyed some aspects of our property, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any disappointment you experienced while with us. It is not our goal to provide an average stay or just a semblance of luxury; the conditions that you described are not what we expect for our guests, and I am truly sorry that we did not exceed your expectations, or our own. I welcome the opportunity to discuss any issue with you further at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com and I thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I loved everything about the James Hotel from the time I found it online. My hotel room was booked with ease for four nights in January. I actually got the fourth night for free, which had me feeling good from the beginning. I inquired with a couple of questions before my arrival and the concierge emailed back within hours - excellent start! The things that make me love the James started with my arrival on Monday morning. Before I even finished paying the taxi, the doorman already had my suitcase out of the trunk and greeted me by name. My suitcase was put at the front desk for check in, where the man at reception then greeted me by name (they obviously read my bag tag - impressive!). I couldn't have been more delighted from this first experience. Upon check in, the man at reception was super polite and when I asked if an upgrade was possible, gave me a king suite with no hesitation. Amazing customer service! He told me about the hotels amenities and I was off to my suite. Nothing outrageous, but comfortable, clean, tasteful, spacious and trendy. My favourite things: two robes, unlimited bath products (they come in full sizes instead of the usual small bottles that are never enough for long hair!), free wifi, a great gym, and the turndown service is a great treat. It makes you feel special, even though its very simple. I continued to receive this amazing service throughout my stay from ALL employees, which will make me a James advocate for life. What really sealed the deal for me was this: on my second evening at the hotel, the doorman was asking if I needed a cab - when I said yes, he informed me that the "house SUV" was available and would be happy to take me to dinner free of charge. Wow - for the cost of my room, this was absolutely over the top (in the best way possible). The staff at the James deserve big kudos for making me feel so special at every encounter. I WILL be back!!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear R0nus,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted that you enjoyed the upgraded room, and that our amenities such as the house car and full-sized bath products attributed to a great experience. Most of all, I am truly humbled by your wonderful compliments of our staff; I am glad that they made your stay so special, and that their collective efforts will make you return. Thank you again for writing us, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My friend and myself loved our stay here. The staff was friendly and helpful! The rooms were clean and spacious. I liked the location as it was central and across from Trader Joes grocery. We walked to many nearby places like a piano bar and pizza place.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Lillers01
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Lillers01,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at The James Chicago. It is great to hear that our comfortable rooms, convenient location, and most of all, our friendly staff attributed to a great experience for both you and your friend. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We return to The James because it has been a great experience consistently-- located near shopping, dining, and landmarks but always quiet and cozy inside. The lighting, fixtures and finishes--always clean and in good condition-- provide a modern feel without being cold. Window shades filter or completely block light, so in the morning you are not awakened by the sunlight unless you want that. The rooms have some sort of a sitting area in addition to the sleeping area, which is really nice for enjoying reading, conversation or room service. The room service was courteous, prompt, and delicious along with being very generous in the serving sizes. We look forward to future relaxing stays at The James.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Visitchicago

Dear Visitchicago,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your most recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I appreciate your compliments of our comfortable rooms and decor, and especially that our in room dining department's excellent service made your stay great. Most of all, I am grateful to hear that you are a returning guest and have enjoyed your multiple stay with us. We truly appreciate your loyalty and look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you back to us!

Great place to stay at.
Room service ambiente and service overall was great. Hotel is close to shopping side in river north and close to the loop.
Big room and comfortable bed.
Gym was small but had everything in there.
Breakfast was ok. Across thr street is a better place to have breakfast.
All in all a good and customer focused hotel.
I had a nice stay.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear aljen1234,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear that both our convenient location and comfortable beds made for an overall great experience. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We had to find last minute accommodations, because one of our neighbors decided to refinish their floors without any notice and the smell was overwhelming in our place. We were worried because it was St. Patrick's Day weekend and the Big Ten Tournament was being held at the United Center. Lucky for us we found this great place, for a great price that is also dog friendly. The service was outstanding and they were very accommodating, they even provided dog beds and bowls. All the amazing sights and sounds of Chicago was only couple blocks away. Our only complaint is the price of hotel parking, but we only live 2 miles away so we were able to drop off our car.

Room Tip: King Guestroom is large enough for two adults and two large dogs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear abs4478,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your generous compliments and are glad that your dogs also enjoyed their stay with our pet amenities. Most of all, I am glad to hear that you found our service outstanding and I hope that your first stay with us will not be your last. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!