“Friendly and well designed hotel i a good shopping areain chicago”
Review of The James Chicago

The James Chicago
Ranked #43 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
“Friendly and well designed hotel i a good shopping areain chicago”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Great place to stay at.
Room service ambiente and service overall was great. Hotel is close to shopping side in river north and close to the loop.
Big room and comfortable bed.
Gym was small but had everything in there.
Breakfast was ok. Across thr street is a better place to have breakfast.
All in all a good and customer focused hotel.
I had a nice stay.

• Stayed February 2013
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear aljen1234,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear that both our convenient location and comfortable beds made for an overall great experience. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We had to find last minute accommodations, because one of our neighbors decided to refinish their floors without any notice and the smell was overwhelming in our place. We were worried because it was St. Patrick's Day weekend and the Big Ten Tournament was being held at the United Center. Lucky for us we found this great place, for a great price that is also dog friendly. The service was outstanding and they were very accommodating, they even provided dog beds and bowls. All the amazing sights and sounds of Chicago was only couple blocks away. Our only complaint is the price of hotel parking, but we only live 2 miles away so we were able to drop off our car.

Room Tip: King Guestroom is large enough for two adults and two large dogs.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear abs4478,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your generous compliments and are glad that your dogs also enjoyed their stay with our pet amenities. Most of all, I am glad to hear that you found our service outstanding and I hope that your first stay with us will not be your last. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed here for one night and the service and quality of the hotel is impecable. I have stayed at the Penisula in the past and this hotel is every bit as good. Every request was met with a smile and it seemed that everyone there knew you by name.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Robert R,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience at The James Chicago. We are truly humbled by your wondeful compliments, and are glad to hear that our staff made your stay so special. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again the next time your travel bring you back to Chicago!

Yonkers, New York
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were in the windy city to visit some friends and gave the James a try based on the reviews here. So first, it was St Patrick's weekend, several conventions in town and a big basketball game was going on making it a very full weekend for hotels. There was some initial confusion about our room, but it was pleasantly solved with an upgrade to a fantastic apartment suite. The staff was amazing, friendly and attentive. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you need to get around, ask about the "house car", they dropped six of us off at Second...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear jtimson,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our house car, and that our staff made your experience a great one. I apologize for the initial confusion with your reservation, but am glad that our front desk was able to make up for it with an upgraded room. It is best to hear that you would stay with us again; I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Cedar Falls, Iowa
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We really enjoyed the James in Chicago. Service was outstanding and everyone was very friendly and professional. We stayed in a standard King room which was perfect for our needs. Beds were comfy, bathrooms were clean and modern, and water pressure in shower was excellent. And... they are a "green" hotel. The location of the hotel is probably the best feature of the James - and the price was better than most in that area. The only negative we had was a rowdy crew of college guys in the room next to us one night.... but is was St. Patricks weekend. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear tigerhawkeye,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your wonderful compliments of our green efforts, comfortable beds, and are especially glad that the service provided by our staff made your stay memorable. I apologize again for the noise during St. Patrick's Day weekend; as you know, it is a very active time in our city, but I am glad that this did not detract from having an enjoyable experience with us. Thank you again for staying and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed March 18, 2013

After returning from a long day of sightseeing, I returned to my room to find my lights on, robe and cookies on the bed and music playing. That’s when I realized I picked a very cool place to stay.

The hotel is conveniently located a few blocks from a subway line and across from Trader Joe’s. There are several restaurants in the neighborhood. I had an exceptionally reasonable and high-quality Italian dinner at Quartino down the street.

The hotel offers free wi-fi in the rooms and a complimentary business center in the lobby. Many hotels seem to charge extraordinary fees for internet access, but thankfully The James does not charge for this essential amenity.

The fitness center, which is located in the basement, has a fair number of machines with TVs, complimentary orange-lemon water and complimentary earbuds.

There’s a fair amount of nice art in the hotel. I especially liked the Zen-like decor of the branches and grasses leading down to the fitness center. And an especially cool work of art graces the business center involving many suitcases and the contents of a motel room. You have to read the plaque that goes along with it for the interesting story.

This otherwise wonderful hotel has one huge Achilles' heel -- city noise. Hey, noise is expected in a city hotel. But it would be very cool if The James could think up some ways to make the rooms quieter.

Overall, I was satisfied with my stay. Before the doorman hailed me a cab, he asked, “Is that all she wrote?” Unfortunately, it was. The James had begun to feel like my home in Chicago, and I didn’t want to leave.

Room Tip: Street noise is a problem at this hotel, so request a room on a higher floor facing away from E. Ont...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Jay P,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. It is great to hear that our free WiFi, turndown service and artwork throughout the hotel made you feel right at home, which is always our goal for all of guests. I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced in regards to noise; although our convenient location does subject us to city traffic, please rest assured that we are exploring options to rectify this issue. I am glad that despite this setback, you had an enjoyable time and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back home to The James Chicago soon!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a great hotel with outstanding design features and superior rooms. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Here's the however, Bar is being renovated and there really isn't a lot of help when checking in. You are on your own until the valet comes out to take your car. What's happening to our five star hotels? Thank goodness I was traveling with someone who could go inside the hotel on our arrival and arrange for a valet. I fear we would have stayed parked in front forever before getting help.

We checked in late and while they advertise 24 hour room service the menu could be a bit more inventive for late night arrivals. Again, I think all hotels need a bump to understand their traveling need.

The bar in the room is well stocked with large bottles of spirits and has a generous size bottle of filtered water FOR FREE> How often do you find that in a hotel?!? WOnderful.
When I asked to find a single malt nightcap in the bar, even though it closed early in my book, the hostess from the restaurant went round and found someone to help me out.

Breakfast was outstanding. While not included, don't miss it. The pancakes are highly recommended....and I don't like pancakes. Whatever their chef is doing, they are spectacular along with everything else. Trust me, THIS BREAKFAST is a must, but don't be in a rush. They do serve to your pleasure.

Great hotel ...wait until the renovation is done...probably only a week or so.
The evening we were there the hotel across the street decided to clean their vents at 4 AM...We woke to the most horrible noise which continued to drone on like NYC garbage trucks on pickup the rest of the morning. Thank goodness I had an early morning meeting or my head would have burst. An unfortunate concierge offered no sympathy for our discomfort other than she had hoped the other hotels would have told them about this. Again, five star hotel??? You lost a star by not at least offering a cup of coffee or something...

SJS

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear SusanjaneS,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your detailed compliments of some of our amenities and services, and are glad that the in-room water and breakfast attributed to you enjoyment. I would like to apologize for some the the shortcomings you described; it is our goal to provide exceptional service and I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations or our own. As you noted, we are currently refreshing our lobby bar and look forward to its' completed new look. I am glad that, despite this, you had an enjoyable stay and plan on visiting again; we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!