“The gracious staff, the comfy room and the excellent location to great restaurants and points of interest made this a perfect se” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

The James Chicago
Ranked #35 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

From the moment we arrived at The James we felt pampered. The staff was helpful and very friendly. The room is spacious, well-supplied, and very comfortable. We were able to walk to many great restaurants, shops and museums from this excellent location.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Jackie652,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is great to hear that our comfortable rooms, convenient location, and our amazing staff all attributed to making your experience a great one. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Korean first
Fraser, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This hotel is by far in my top 5 of places that I stayed on vacation.

The hotel is not big like some of the rest of the hotels in the city it only has 17 floors but let me tell you this hotel packs a big punch of luxury in every part of it..

Pros:
Clean updated modern room
Nice big bed
Great view of Rush/Michigan Ave
Outstanding and Friendly Employees "Very fast when we had issues with our room"
Free cookies at turn down which are very tasty
Ordered cupcakes which were very good
Very quite room on the top floor "17th floor"

Cons
Since being on the top floor very warm from the heat rising
Floor vent was making loud banging noises "Fixed issue very quickly"
The tub drained very slow when we took shower

Overall we had a great stay and would def come back to the James Chicago to stay again couldn't be happier.

Room Tip: A great perk that they really don't tell you any where is they offer a free ride to where ever y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MikeTech1984,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. I am truly humbled by your generous compliments, from our cookies with turndown to our outstanding staff. I am especially pleased that after your recent experience, we rank among your favorite hotels that you have stayed at. Thank you again and I hope that we will have the opportunity to see you again soon!

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I booked this hotel via hotwire and when I arrived to check in I did feel as if the receptionist checking me in, had a chip on his shoulder because I booked with hotwire (secret hotels). He was rather cold and standoffish, acted as if he rather be doing anything but checking me in. Yes, nice welcome to Chicago for you.

I brushed it off and checked into my room which was a delight. The room was roomy, had a seating area and a bar area and a big comfy bed.

The hotel offers complimentary wifi here. The bathroom area was nice and clean, but the sliding door for the bathroom was very stiff and wouldn't close properly.

The hotel is conveniently located, it is a 5 minute walk from McDonald's, Bloomingdales, the post office, Walgreens and much more. This was very handy!

The hotel is only a short cab ride from all the must to see sights - like the Shedd Aquarium, The Cloud Gate etc. However, I must say if you ask locals where the cloud gate is, they might know what it is - so I found out. I think it is more commonly referred to as being the silver bean!

The hotel bellman was friendly - helpful in giving directions to local pizza joints.

I would stay here again despite the rude little man who checked me in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Zeva2010,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. Although I am glad that you had some positive aspects of your stay and would return, I am very sorry to hear about the experience you had during check-in. This is not the level of service we aim to provide, and it is clear that we did not meet your expectations, or our own. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline, by emailing me at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. I apologize again and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Geneva, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend in downtown Chicago. First, the doorman was fantastic - helpful, friendly and knowledgable. Next, every staff member from check in to luggage delivery to room service were extraordinarily kind and accommodating. We had our 2 small dogs with us and they provided accommodations for them - bowls, beds, bones. Now, there weren't many grassy areas for the pups but it worked out and we got some nice walks in. The room was comfortable and clean. We did order room service and the food great! You can't beat the location if you do want to get out for fun. We will most definitely be back!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear pschmeda,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I appreciate your kind compliments and am delighted that our staff made your experience a memorable one for both you and your dogs. Thak you you again for staying with us, and I am truly honored that you will be returning. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just stayed at the James. Great staff and location and vibe, but a few niggly things that I didn't expect....
could hear street noise all night as windows aren't soundproof, shower pressure very weak, bath plug didn't fit so bath kept emptying, only one drawer so if you are staying a few days you'll have to keep stuff on the floor or in your suitcase, shampoo and body wash mounted high on wall so if you are in the bath you can't reach, bedside tables are tall blocks of wood- look great but no drawer for bits and pieces which kept falling off, breakfast in the restaurant (which took ages to arrive) was delivered on a trolley with other tables' orders rather than singly- felt like school dinners!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aldonna
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear aldonna,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago. Although I am glad that you enjoyed our convenient location and our friendly staff, I am disappointed to see that your stay fell short of expectations. I am truly sorry for the inconveniences you encountered in your room--this is not the experience we expect our guests to have and I thank you for bringing these lapses to my attention. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you offline; you can reach me at jameschicagogm@jameshotels.com. I apologize again and look forward to speaking with you soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have stayed at many of the 4 and 5 star hotels in Chicago, but the James sets itself apart with personal touches and service. Every hotel staffperson, from the car valet, doorman, and desk clerk to the maids greets you EVERY time you enter or leave with a smile and a good day. That may seem like an inconsequential touch, but is indicative of the attentiveness of the staff. All of the fine hotels in Chicago have gorgeous lobbies and comfortable rooms, so it is the level of service that sets the great hotels apart. You will feel welcomed at the James.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Nobarbe,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We strive to provide a luxury liberated experience to all of our guests, and I am glad that our amazing staff exceeded your expectations and set us apart. I sincerely thank you for your wonderful compliments, and I hope we will see you the next time your travels bring you back to Chicago!

New Jersey USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I spent 3 nights at the James in January 2013 while moving my daughter to Chicago. Location can't be beat for being able to walk the city. Trader Joe's and Starbuck's are across the street. Free wi-fi. The rooms were very modern and the staff were very guest oriented. They have turn down service every night where they put soft music on and bring sweet treats. We had a car and the parking fees were half the price we paid for the room. We booked through Hotwire and were pleasantly suprised by this hotel. I would definately try to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear KitKolar,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at The James Chicago. We appreciate your generous compliments and are glad to hear that our staff and location made your stay a great one. I am humbled that you would definitely stay with us again, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!