“Very disappointing”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #47 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We were touring the USA and choose the James Hotel in Chicago as a special treat so were very disappointed to find it was just an average hotel. We booked a table for dinner in their award winning restaurant but still had to wait in a crowded bar for 15 minutes to be seated while non guests were ushered into the dining room which rather spoilt what was otherwise an excellent meal. Perhaps they should decide whether they are a restaurant or an hotel. The location was ideal for exploring Chicago but really that's all we can recommend the hotel for.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Abel06, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Dear fothcad, Thank you for taking the time write about your recent experience at The James Chicago. I sincerely apologize for the delay you experienced while waiting for your reservation at our restaurant and that it adversely affected your trip with us. Average is not how we expect our guests to feel after their stay, and I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations, and our ours. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again toThe James Chicago so that we may provide you with the level of service that you deserve and re-coup you confidence in us.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

We recently stayed at The James Hotel in Chicago. It was the perfect hotel - super location for shopping on Michigan Avenue, wonderful room with lots of space and nice decor and furnishings, excellent service, welcoming feeling and overall perfect. The elevators were readily available with no wait time, nice bar in the loby area, and turn down bed service. There is a Trader Joe's across the street for snacks and a Home Goods Store around thre corner, and the Redheaded Parrot Piano Bar one block away. We will be sure to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear cvh7002, Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at The James Chicago. It is great to hear that we exceeded your expectations and, most of all, that you will stay with us again. Thank you again for your compliments and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed December 5, 2012

The James was a great hotel for a weekend getaway. The staff was terrific. Our room was not ready when we arrived and Melissa at the front desk provided us with a drink from the bar and then upgraded our room to a suite. The room was a good size with a great shower located at the end of a hallway. My criticisms of the hotel are few. Most significantly was the noise from slamming doors and the fact that I could hear my neighbors conversation through the wall while I sat on the couch in the living area. I spoke to the front desk who offered to ask them to lower their voices but since it was in the middle of the day and it did not seem like they were being particularly loud I declined the offer. I will say that the bedroom area was quiet. Some other minor complaints are: not all of the light switches seemed to work , there were not enough options for hanging up a wet towel to dry (trying to be environmentally friendly) and that the TV was relatively small in the bedroom area. The pluses for the room were the free replenished water in a glass pitcher instead of a pricey plastic bottle, a pillow menu and twice daily turndown service. I would come back to the hotel and stay again, especially since the company offers great promotions.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear dtg001, Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with us at The James Chicago! We appreicate your compliments of our turndown service and amenities, and are glad that you enjoyed the upgraded room. I would like to apologize again for the inconveniences you encountered, but I am glad that despite them, you had a positive experience overall. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Pros:
- Great location. Mins away from a lot of great shopping.
- Comfortable beds, quite at night.
- Very friendly and knowledgeable staff!!
- Modern look and feel. iPod dock in the room, Large flat screen tv.
- I had to go back to my room because I forgot my sunglasses while the cleaning lady was cleaning the room. She asked me to swipe my room key to make sure I was staying there. Felt good knowing they don't let any random stranger walk into rooms.

Cons:
- Slow elevators.
- Rooms were slightly small.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike Z

Dear Mike Z, Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago! We appreciate your compliments of our modern rooms and amenities, and are delighted that our staff attributed to a great experience for you. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travel plans bring you to Chicago!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We chose to stay at The James for our most recent trip to Chicago. We were there from November 21 to November 25 during the Thanksgiving week(end).
The main reasons for choosing The James over the many other hotels in Chicago was the location, value for price, and reviews on tripadvisor.
I am happy to say that The James did not disappoint.

Pros:

The James is located a block away from N Michigan Avenue - the heart of Chicago.
Almost every point of interest is within walking distance - the best restaurants (NoMi, Palm Court, Signature Room, The Purple Pig etc.), museums, and even the Willis Tower (previously known as the Sears Tower)

When we arrived at the hotel, the doormen greeted us with gentle smiles and courteously held the door open for us.
The lobby of the hotel is clean, sleek, and refreshing.
Upon check-in, we were informed that The James had already honored our upgrade promotion certificate, and had upgraded us to a studio suite.
The studio suite was very comfortable - there was a kitchenette at the entrance, a very roomy and clean bathroom, a dedicated living room space with a couch and a TV, and the bedroom area with the bed and a second TV across from the bed.
While there were no slippers in our room, I remembered seeing slippers on the housekeeping cart while passin by it, and simply went back there and asked for some slippers.

What most impressed me about the amenities in the hotel was turndown service.
It is unfortunate that hotels in the US do not really partake in this wonderful tradition.
I was pleasantly surprised that The James has turndown service - every day, we came back to the room to find the blinds drawn down, and a fresh baked good on the bed, along with a bathrobe fashionable laid across the bed, while the radio was playing 80s and 90s music in the background. While I am more used to coming back to a room that has classical music playing in the background, the 80s and 90s hits was a surprisingly pleasant new take on turndown service. It's these little things that make all the difference.

I am also very grateful that after unsuccessful attempts to find an ENT specialist who could see me the Saturday after Thanksgiving, the concierge found me a doctor who came and saw me in my room.

Cons:

We did encounter a rather snappy and rude concierge on our first day, who was not very eager to help us.

While the beds were very comfortable and clean, we were woken up by the noise in the hallway - sometimes from other guests, and sometimes from housekeeping.

Conclusion:
Because of a promotion we were able to take advantage of, The James' location, amenities, service and value for price was unbeatable.
Overall, we were very pleased with our stay at The James, and would most certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IstanbuliteinUSA
Abel06, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear IstanbuliteinBoston, Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review on your recent stay at The James Chicago! It is feedback like yours that assists us in providing a positive experience for all of our guests. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your upgraded room and that our nightly turndown service made your stay extra special. I am sorry that you had a negative experience the first day with our concierge; please know that we will be following up accordingly, but I am glad that they were able to assist your request for medical services the next time. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Wanted to spend weekend close to N. Michigan. James great location. Everyone working at hotel very gracious and professional. Rooms clean and neat. Our bed was turned down every evening. Great breakfast at restaurant. We look forward to returning to The James.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dennis T

Dear Dennis T, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The James Chicago! We very much appreciate your wonderful compliments of our staff and that you enjoyed the breakfast from David Burke's Primehouse. Most of all, we are glad to hear that your first trip to The James will not be your last, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Our yearly Thanksgiving stay at The James was perfect...again. Part of a beautiful tradition. Thank you Meg Welter (from Guest Relations) for making things so perfect for us. And thank you to all the staff for such friendly service. See you next year!!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank kathrynkay

Dear kathrynkay, Thank you for writing such a wonderful review about your stay at The James Chicago! It is truly an honor to be a part of your Thanksgiving tradition and that you have had a continually great experience with us. We appreciate your wonderful compliments of our entire staff, and I have shared your comments with Meg. Thank you again for your loyalty to The James, and we look forward to welcoming you back next year!