WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Stop wasting your time looking at other hotels. Book The James NOW!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The James Chicago

The James Chicago
Ranked #38 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
“Stop wasting your time looking at other hotels. Book The James NOW!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Where do I start? I can't say enough positive things about this hotel and the people who work there. From the staff at the front desk, to the guest services...and who could forget the doormen! These guys are fantastic! They are so friendly and officially welcome you back to the hotel each and every time you return during your stay which is a nice touch.
I had booked a loft suite (room 1122) which has a media room with a projector. The room I had was a really nice size and very comfortable, as was the bathroom. I particularly liked the full size pump bottles of body wash and shampoo/conditioner they had in the shower.
The customer service at this hotel is top notch! The best customer service I've ever received at a hotel. The staff really go above and beyond to help you and make you feel at home. Nothing seems like too much trouble there.
The first day I arrived, I was having a friend of mine coming to visit to watch a movie. He wanted to bring his PS3 over so we could hook it up to the projector and play some games too. While I was talking to him on the phone, he asked me to pull the DVD system out and check to see if he could plug his cables into it. As I pulled the unit out of the shelf it was on, I noticed a condom sitting on top of the DVD player! It was wrapped thankfully but I was still a bit shocked to find it there as you could imagine! I wasn't that bothered about it but I thought I would let the staff know what had happened. I had the manager call me back and she apologised and said she had spoken to the Housekeeping manager and informed them also. I hope the housekeepers didn't get in trouble for it as it was no ones fault. The only way they would have found the condom where it was, was only if they pulled the DVD player out of the shelf, and why would they? Anyway, the manager offered me a $50 food and beverage voucher which I thought was a nice gesture and it paid for room service the next day, so that was great! I thought the manager dealt with that very well.
A few other minor things happened during my stay such as one night we had some trouble with the projector. I called guest services and an engineer was up to my room within minutes. This goes for any time I asked for something, such as an extra blanket or another pillow. The staff there are extremely prompt. I never had to wait around for anything. We also had some trouble with the toilet getting blocked on two occasions. The toilet still flushed but it was weak so it sometimes left tissue behind which caused it to become blocked. Both times I called I had someone there within minutes to take care of it.
I'm not bothered when the projector stops working or the toilet isn't operating properly. Its nobody's fault and these things happen you know? I'm far more interested in how these things are taken care of and that's why I'm even mentioning these incidents. I cannot stress enough how impeccable their customer service is. I was really impressed and it's what makes The James so fabulous!

I really didn't want to leave this hotel, so much so, that I tried to book another week but unfortunately they were fully booked on Monday 29th so I was only able to book a further 4 days. Nevertheless, the manager offered me a wonderful deal for the extra 4 days I stayed there and I was thrilled with that.

The location is fantastic and there is a grocery store and a Starbucks over the road! I really didn't want to check out of this hotel and was sad to leave. I would highly recommended The James to anyone so just book it, you will be glad you did!

Happy travels :)

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank MissPurpleHazel
Abel06, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear MissPurpleHazel, Thank you very much for sharing such an excellent review of your experience at The James Chicago! We are truly humbled by your wonderful compliments of our customer service and your recommendation of our hotel to other travelers. I would like to apologize for the setbacks you described during your stay; it is not the experience we want or expect our guests to have at The James, but I am glad that the issues were remedied to your satisfaction and you enjoyed your stay with us regardless. On behalf of the entire James team, we thank you again and look forward to your next stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Korean first
Carlsbad, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Great location. Walk to shopping, restaurants and places of interest. Room was large and well appointed; staff was very accommodating. Would stay here again.Great bar. Didn't try restaraunt because there is so much nearby.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Abel06, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear MrVacation101, Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent experience with us at The James. I am glad you enjoyed our bar and spacious rooms, and found our staff to be helpful during your weekend getaway. I hope that you will stay with us again the next time you visit Chicago!
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Recently stayed at the James hotel in Chicago ( Oct 25-28 ,2012).
A renovated hotel ( formerly Lennox Suites) it was a good location and very cozy hotel to spend time in.
A great Spa /Gym experience with a good steakhouse built in.
Close to parking and all the shopping you will need.
I can highly recommend it.
Staff was very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms were well appointed and very clean , with an optional morning coffee service.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear STEVE131111, Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience at The James Chicago. We appreciate your wonderful compliments of our spa, gym, and especially our staff. We are glad that you were able to try the steak at David Burke's Primehouse during your visit and we hope that we will see you again soon!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here two times in 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed both experiences. Stylish decor, helpful staff in all departments, and great location. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Chicago. And despite a booking error (my booking was not recorded properly), I enjoyed the spa treatment as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear zanderlicious, We are truly humbled that we at The James Chicago are one of your favorite hotels! I would like to apologize for the booking error in regards to your spa appointment, but am glad that it was remedied and you had an enjoyable experience. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Frederick, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

The James is a beautiful, luxury hotel in a very convenient location. I had selected The James -- only bacause it was a similar hotel to my conference hotel located a block away, but the rate was cheaper. What surprised me were the little extras that came along with a clean room and comfortable bed. From the full-size shampoo & body wash, to daily turn-down service with a cookie each evening. I was also wished a good day as the door was held for me as I left for the conference each day & welcomed back at the end of the day. There are many reasons that I love the City of Chicago, but I'm adding The James to that list.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Abel06, Director of Rooms at The James Chicago, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Bob C, Thank you for sharing your experience at The James Chicago. We are glad that you enjoyed our hotel on your first visit, and that our door staff and turndown made your stay special. We are truly humbled by your great compliments and we hope that you will select us the the next time your travels bring you to back to Chicago!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is an excellent hotel. Apart from the great location minutes from the Magnificent Mile, the hotel is super comfortable, with lovely rooms you enjoy coming back to, pleasant and attentive service, a great bar area, and a good restaurant (Primehouse). I would stay here again. The nightly turndown service was a really nice touch. Not badly priced either, for what you get. Highly recommended.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear bluebotty, Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The James Chicago. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location and that our attentive staff made your stay a great one. We very much appreciate your recommendation of our hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Newcastle UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is how all hotels should be, nothing was a problem from the moment taxi pulled up till we left.
Straight away the 'J men' (door men) are there to greet you, bags whisked onto the trolley and into reception dealt with curtiously given an upgrade and complimentry 'continental' breakfast vouchers. Room was excellent, clean and well appointed on the 17th floor very quiet, (however you will never escape the fire / ambulance siren that constantly continues to circle the surrounding streets ) Ate Breakfast each day in restaurant, all very good quality and large portions, voucher could be used as $9.00 payment towards normal breakfast menu items. Concierge team where good arrainging trips for river cruise, gangster tour & bus tours also sorted out onward travel to Boston, printing boarding passes etc, following up that all was ok (Thanks) As i said 'J men' always there.. welcoming you back, calling taxi's or guiding you in the right direction.
Excellent people , great location, can't fault it...

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear flightdelay, Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The James Chicago! It is great to hear about the impeccable service provided by the "J men" and am glad that they made your stay so special. We appreciate your compliments of our restaurant, David Burke's, and our excellent concierge team. Thank you again for staying with us, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back!