“Agreeable to my Dad”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #45 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My father is the harshest of critics when it comes to hotels but it took one night for him to declare this a great hotel. I concur. Some of the art scattered around the hotel is ace as was the large, clean comfortable suite we stayed in. Air con a bit noisy but we didn't really need it as it wasn't overly hot. Staff were very friendly - from the concierge to the bar that I could barely keep my father out of. The adjoining restaurant - David Burke's Primehouse deserves a mention also - great food and service. Location excellent just off the Magnificent Mile and a short walk from the river and the stunning Art Institute. Great hotel, fabulous city.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
KristinByrnes, Front Desk Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Dear SirElDoctore, Thank you for your wonderful review of The James Chicago; I am glad that both you and your father had such a wonderful experience! We are very appreciative of your compliments of our friendly staff and that you enjoyed our unique art collection. I hope that you will come back and visit The James and our terrific city again!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I would give this hotel a 4.5. Clean, modern, aesthetically pleasing, comfortable, large room, pleasant staff, complimentary late check out, room ready when I arrived. Close to public transportation and touristy things. Bed turn down service with a great little snack every night!

It just had little things that were annoying like the aesthetically pleasing, but functionally not sink. Low shower head. Hotel body soap and shampoo that were fancy, organic, gluten free but create zero lather. Beautiful HD TV that had an analog feed. Great full length mirror, but poor lighting. I needed to remake my bed at night because the sheets weren't tucked properly, and I mean they were all bunched up at the end of the bed. Generally I would deduct points for these types of things, but the place isn't a bargain.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear Greg W, Thank you for sharing your experience at The James Chicago! We appreciate your compliments of our modern rooms and turndown service, but also for taking the time to offer suggestions, as it's great to hear what would make our guests even more comfortable. I hope you enjoyed your first visit to Chicago and that you will come see us again soon!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

The James is my new favorite Chicago hotel! For the price (which was about $250/night including unlimited valet), it was a bargain. We were able to walk to everything; its in an exciting area of town. Our room, 1210, was spacious, quiet, very clean and no funny smells around the hotel (and I am a stickler for clean hotels), the bed was super comfortable, well-designed rooms (all lights on dimmers, etc.), great minibar, valet was definitely worth the money (I never waited to pick up the car (because you call from your room) or dropping off my car because they see you coming and open your door the second your car is stopped - I'm very glad I don't bother with self-park, it's 1/2 block away). There was plenty of staff, professional, gracious and genuine without being bothersome. I chose The James because of its location close to Starbucks, grocery store (Trader Joe's), shopping, fab restaurants (Eggperience for breakfast is my choice), museums and Navy Pier, also close to Red Line. Two surprises were, first, although it is not a hotel rule, there were no children at this hotel, and I like children, but not when I'm staying at a hotel....crying babies, kids running out of control, playing on elevators, ugh, and, second, check-out time is 2pm, which gave me time to take a cruise out of Navy Pier and have lunch before hitting the road. Unfortunately, we had a bad experience at the in-house restaurant, David Burke's; I reviewed Burke's and don't recommend it. Luckily, there are plenty of great choices within 1-2 blocks. I did not use the concierge or the spa. Can't wait to get back to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear EasyGoingTraveling, Thank you for taking the time to time to write such a detailed review of your stay with us at The James Chicago! It is an honor to hear that we are your new favorite Chicago hotel, thanks in part to our clean, comfortable rooms and our wonderful staff. We appreciate your compliments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed for three nights. Location excellent, staff outstanding. Definitely worth consideration for your visit to Chicago. Lots of restaurants nearby and the location is such that you can walk pretty much everywhere.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear Andrew C, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The James Chicago! We appreciate your compliments of our convenient location, and especially our outstanding staff. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Our stay at The James was excellent! From the moment we pulled up at the curb, we were made to feel the hotel was glad we were there and they would do anything to make our stay an exceptional experiece. The entire staff was courtious, friendly and helpful. We would definately return and reccommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear JSid_12, Thank you for taking the time to write such nice compliments of our hotel! I am glad to hear that your stay was an exceptional experience and that you plan on returning. We look forward to welcoming you back to The James Chicago soon!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

4 of our executives stay at The James last week and I heard NOTHING but raves about this hotel. The service was impeccable. Everything they wanted was in the room and more. The service was better than incredible including room service and the door man. The breakfast was excellent and very affordable. The location was the very best. No question about where they will stay next Chicago trip! Congratulations to all those wonderful attitudes and attention to detail at The James! This group was your best test.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MoreGrace
KristinByrnes, Front Desk Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear MoreGrace, Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review of The James Chicago! It is great to hear that your executives enjoyed the guest centric experience we strive to provide. We look forward to you and your associates staying with us again soon!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I just came back from Chicago and stayed at The James. We were not sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised by this wonderful boutique style hotel and it's staff.
The rooms have been refurbished and are spotlessly clean. We could not fault the staff and their service was exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble.
As my husband was in Chicago on business, the centrally located hotel was great for me to be in the middle of everything.
Would highly recommend this hotel and look forward to coming back in the near future.

Lisa P (Melbourne, Australia)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
KristinByrnes, Front Desk Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Lisa P, Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The James. We are very appreciate of your wonderful compliments of our property, and especially, our exemplary staff. We are looking forward to you and your husband staying with us in Chicago again soon!