“Great Stay”

Ranked #43 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Milwaukee
“Great Stay”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Me and my wife decided to spend a few days in Chicago to get away (we like 90 min. north in Milwaukee), and couldnt have been more pleased with the James Hotel.

I saw a few negative reviews on this site, and let me be very clear...

This is a great hotel for anyone who enjoys modern/contemporary style. If you are looking for a traditional Ritz Carleton/ Waldorf Astoria style room, with plush and traditional appointments, this isnt the hotel for you. All fo the furniture and decorations are very sleek and hip, and I would describe the room as more "cool" than "warm" (and I am not referring to the temp).

This hotel is extremly commited to its contemporary urban astetic (which me and my wife love). The room, lobby, and bar are all over the top modern and the hotel has paid great attention to all the small details.

Aside from the ambiance/style of the hotel, the service is also excellent. Though it isnt exactly a small hotel, the service was very "boutique" like. All of our questions and requests were answered promptly, and everyone who works at the James is incredably upbeat and pleasant to work with. There always seemed to be plenty of staff in the lobby to give directions, restuarant tips, handle your luggage, or hail you a cab.

I stay at a lot of hotels, most of which aim to be bland enough to appeal to any type of travler. This is my favorite hotel I have ever stayed at, because it has such a strong personality and style. If you enjoy great service, an excellent location, reasonably priced rooms (for downtown Chicago), and most importantly a very hip contemporary setting... this is the place to stay in Chicago.

5 Thank Nick D
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Nickman44, Thank you so much for such a detailed review - sounds like had a really fun time in Chicago and were able to do so many things. We are glad you shared the secret. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The hotel is modern and in a great location. I was doing some shopping on Michigan Avenue. The James is in a perfect location for that, along with dozens of other hotels, but the James is on a side street so it doesn't feel like the entire city is walking by. There's a Trader Joe's across the street if you want to buy some snacks, which I did when I first arrived, not knowing which restaurant to go to.

I used a discount website for my reservation, and the check-in was fast and without problems. I was paranoid about the room's cleanliness, and gave it a thorough check. When I asked the front desk about something I saw in the room that didn't look clean, they gave me an automatic upgrade to a higher floor suite, which was definitely quite clean. The suite was nice, but I really liked my cute regular-sized room. The room featured a kitchenette outfitted with a pitcher of filtered water, an electric kettle, complimentary teas, and Starbucks Via. They replace the filtered water whenever you ask, I believe. The front desk was happy to give me restaurant recommendations and they also held my bags so I could shop explore some more after checking out. I would recommend the James to family and friends.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Nick L
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed July 9, 2012

What a joy it was to stay here. A pleasant corner room with an excellent city view at the corner of Ontario & Rush in Chicago. Just steps away from the magnificence of the Miracle Mile and the nightlife of Rush Street. The James Hotel welcomed us like the best hotels in the world do. Every service request was met with an immediate response and action. The room had upscale coffee, teas, water, and a huge (but city priced) mini bar selection. When there was a minor glitch with extra towels we requested, we received a nice personalized note of apology signed by 5-6 staff members along with fruit, granola and a bottle of sparkling water - all over a couple of late towels; and we had not really complained. The shower & spa soaps were refreshing, towels fluffy and the spa chioces were varied and seemed top notch. The rooms had a European flair to them with large sliding doors separating the bedroom & the main area and the bathroom and bedroom. Sound was not a problem. Room service was prompt, accurate & reasonable. The dining room was excellent - with a David Burke Steakhouse as the main theme. But they also did breakfast & lunch with style. We will definately stay here again - and hopefully soon.

Room Tip: Request a corner room if you can get it. Try a spa experience too.
2 Thank Will48084
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We arrived at the James Hotel at 10:00 AM and expected to be told that we would not be able to check in so early. We were plesantly surprised to hear that not only we could check in but that they had upgraded us. The staff were all pleasant and accomadating. Location is great, right in the heart of Chicago. Would highly recommend this hotel.

3 Thank DSainato
Athens, Greece
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I recently visited the great city of Chicago for the wedding of a very old and dear friend. Booked the James by chance because it was walking distance from the church and the wedding reception.
What a great place! Everyone, yes, everyone made an effort to make me feel welcome. This is probably an understatement, I felt like a VIP. People kept smiling and greeting me as I entered or left the hotel.
The room itself (a king bed) was comfortably spacious, modern, relaxing! It included a full bar, real glasses for water, real china for coffee. See pictures. Why can't other hotels match this?
The location is very convenient for shopping and dining. There is also a well equipped gym which I used (just once I'm afraid...)
I hope to be back one day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Manthos
Muncie, Indiana
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I (we are 30) have stayed in many hotels in Chicago, and The James is my favorite. You can't beat the location, to start. Loved the sushi place across the street, and walked to train, the Pier, and nearby eateries. Gym and spa were excellent. Room was very spacious and sleek, but most importantly, the bed was very comfortable. Expect a certain amount of noise from the busy street, but that's the price you pay for staying downtown. We had a really late flight out of Chicago, and I have to say, the best perk of the hotel was the 2 p.m. check out time. It was so nice to relax in the room for a bit longer than usual.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cherrystem123
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Great location; attentive and responsive staff; first class fitness center

We would stay here again!

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor to avoid the street noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear smcohen1000, Thank you so much for the compliments regarding your recent stay - we always appreciate the kind words. We can't wait to see you again.

Best regards,