“Modern Hotel in a Great Location”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #47 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We just returned from 4 nights at The James Hotel and couldn't have been more pleased with our choice. The James is conveniently located just a block of Michigan Avenue, which makes walking to most destinations a breeze. For the times that a taxi is needed, there was always one right out front. We had a Queen Studio Suite and the extra sitting area was plenty big and made the room feel nice and large. The decor is very clean, modern and highly attractive. We were really pleased with the overall quality of the furnishings as well. Some hotels don't live up to their photos shown on their website and we didn't find that to be the case with The James - what you see is what you get. The view from our room wasn't great, but that's to be expected for most hotel rooms. The free wireless internet access in the room was an added bonus and was definitely a nice feature. All of the hotel staff that we encountered were extremely nice and helpful. We'll definitely be returning to The James next time we're in Chicago.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of one of the hallways. While you may have to walk a bit further from the...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CSHouston80
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

CSHouston80-

Thank you for your great review of The James Chicago. I appreciate you sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor nation. Thank you for the kind words about the room and our team. Glad you enjoyed the complimentary Wireless internet service!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best,
Patrick Hatton

Reviewed March 18, 2012

Great location and a very attentive staff. Rooms are not spacious but they were very clean.

Would return on a future trip.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed at the James for five nights at the end of February for a conference. First off, this is the only hotel that I've stayed in where housekeeping comes twice a day to freshen up your room; needless to say, the room was very clean and, while not particularly large, perfectly adequate for our needs. There is a complimentary bottle of filtered water on the bedside table that is refilled every day, the staff is friendly and the bed is comfortable, with lovely down comforters. I had asked for a quiet room on a higher floor, away from the elevators and with a view (these are all options when you make your reservation, either online or on the phone) and that is exactly what we received. We were on the tenth floor (room 1014) and we were never bothered by street noise, other than the occasional siren. Right across the street there is a Trader Joe's and a bakery cafe with great food and illy coffee, and absolutely everything you'd need (be it a metro station, a UPS store or Nordstroms) is a short walk away. One little detail about the design of the room - the entrance to the bathroom has a sliding door which really wasn't that easy to open and close (I would get lazy and just keep it open wide enough to just slip through) so it might be an ergonomic issue for the elderly or disabled.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank lifesci99
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed at the James Hotel for 5 nights in March. The location was perfect for shopping, dining, and seeing the sights of Chicago. The staff at the front door were so friendly and helpful. The beds are amazing even if only double beds. They are so comfortable. Small complaint but selection of TV channels is very poor in the rooms. Big bath towels, quality shampoo/body wash, robes, and fresh drinking water in the rooms are great amenities. We gave our car to the valet at checkin and did not use it until we left. So convenient to walk or grab a taxi for where you want to go. Anywhere you go you must be careful and aware of surroundings, but felt really safe walking in the evening in a several block area of this hotel. No great views from this hotel, but who sits in the room to look out the window anyway?

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2012

There are honestly not enough great things I can say about my stay at The James. I had a 10 night stay there for business, I had never been to Chicago before and felt the warm welcome the second I walked through the doors at The James. Check in was seamless, room service the first night was great. They call you by name which is such a nice personal touch. The two times a day housekeeping service with turn down service at night complete with a cookie and a fresh bucket of ice was amazing. They magically had my room turned down at night for me even if I just stepped out for a half hour. They realized I was staying there for an extended period of time and I was able to rent a fridge for my room so I could grab some food/snacks/drinks at the Trader Joe's across the street, which was a huge plus! The bellman out front was amazing, he knew my name, knew where I was going every morning at 7:45am and would hail a taxi for me. It was such a pleasant experience, I honestly can't say enough good things.
The bathroom=amazing! Full organic shampoo, conditioner and shower gel in the shower. Great hairdryer, full closet with ironing board and iron.
Easy access to business center to print out my boarding pass and other work related items.
I will absolutely be visiting the James again when I come back to Chicago next month!

Room Tip: higher floor....less noise!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank calilove16
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I stayed at the James Hotel in the month of February. The hotel was very nice, and I enjoyed my trip a lot. When I got home though I noticed charges on my card when they were only supposed to charge my boyfriend's card. Well they ended up charging both of us. They told me it would take 7 days to refund my money. It is now at least 2 weeks later, and still no money. Whenever I try to call them they basically give me the run around, and are not really helpful. Still waiting for my money.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica_HKaty
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Got a special rate on Snique Away for the James-we were not disappointed! It was a fun boutique hotel. There was considerable street noise, but not enough to keep us from sleeping just fine. The room itself was not large, but was furnished in a minimalist/modern style. We loved the Kiehl toiletries that were furnished at the time-not sure if they are still using them. We also found the concierge to be very friendly & helpful for restaurant recommendations. There is a small restaurant nearby (Eleaven) that has great chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple