“Best hotel in Chicago!”

Ranked #43 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
San Francisco, California
“Best hotel in Chicago!”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

5 stars!!! James is in a perfect location only 1 block from Millennium Mile and totally walking distance to everything in Downtown Chicago. I found a really good deal on one of the opaque travel booking sites, which ended up being a phenomenal value for this upscale hotel. The David Burke restaurant is amazing – they had a great deal for lunch Monday-Friday for $15 you get a steak (I had filet mignon), a vodka or gin martini, and a side dish (we had truffle fries and basil whipped potatoes). My girlfriend and I went there for a Friday late lunch and were so happy with the whole experience. However if you’re staying at the hotel, you can enjoy the DB restaurant 24 hours a day with room service. The bathroom amenities were all sulfate-free, organic, and smelled really good. The nightly turn-down service, bathrobe, and little cookie/treat on your pillow was such a nice touch to come home to after a night out on the town. I also really liked the little sitting area in the corner of the room. Oh, and the triple distilled water refilled twice daily was awesome. Finally, the last amazing perk is that the hotel is across the street from a Trader Joes so you can buy a bottle of wine, juice/water, or snacks and save money if you’re the type of person that may dip into the mini bar. I will definitely return to the James!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
TheJamesGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, November 12, 2011
nevans26-

Wow! Thanks for the title of "Best Hotel in Chicago!", hope you don't mind me using this in our new Marketing material!

Thank you for the detailed review! Glad you enjoyed the new Complimentary water program and Intelligent Nutrients amenity line along with David Burke's Primehouse. Yep, all food in the hotel, whether in Dining Room, In Room Dining, the JBar or in our event space comes from the same kitchen under the direction of 1 Culinary team. This insures that your dining experience is consistent throughout the hotel.

Patrick Hatton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My husband had a business meeting in Chicago. When he asked me to join him we decided to look for an exceptional boutique hotel. The James is a great location...just two short blocks off of Michigan. The staff was attentive to our every need. The concierge were wonderful. The gym was great. Before seeing it I was sure that I would get day passes to a local fitness facility, however once I saw the gym with the weight equipment and no lines there was no way I was leaving the hotel for a fitness facility.

We had a lovely suite on the 17th floor (top floor of the hotel). Unfortunately, we didn't have a view at all. We faced the rooms on the other side of the courtyard. Very disappointing. Also, the layout of the suite was really funky....a little couch, table aligned right in front of a large frlat scree tv. Much better off watching a tv of this size from the bed, which we did since we had a tv by the bed as well.

The David Burke steakhouse which was where we ate breakfast certainly did not live up to its name. It was so disappointing. In fact, the egg white omelet as well as the eggs that my husband ordered were inedible. They tasted like oil. It got to the point on the last day that I finally sent them back and ordered what was supposed to be steel cut oatmeal, which unfortunately was watered down and cold.

susief18-

Thank you for sharing your experience at The James Chicago and David Burke's Primehouse. While I'm happy to read all the great things about your experience, I am very disappointed by your breakfast issues. the Egg White Omelette is my favorite thing on the breakfast menu and I'm sorry that it was not prepared well for you and that the alternative was not good either. I will address with team. Interestingly, our breakfast line cooks have been with us since opening in 2006 and we have always gotten great feedback re: this meal period. I guess I'll have to do more taste tests to insure consistency (this is the tough part of my job!)

Thanks for the kind review and 4 Stars.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Very prompt and friendly service from all the staff. Superb location. Room was very modern and pretty and clean, with windows that opened. Room price was reasonable. We enjoyed several great restaurants located within a few blocks of the hotel.

zeropsa-

Thank you! I appreciate the great feedback regarding your stay at The James.

I'm glad you enjoyed and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best,

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Arrived at the James on the 30th Sept. I was visiting family in Chicago and since this was my first trip to the USA, I must say , I was blown away. The staff were so attentive, nothing was too much trouble for them, especially the chappy on the door.
When we got our room, it was beautiful, clean, fresh. Great View!! Bathroom was outstanding..
Cant rate this hotel any higher! Will be returning next year, definately!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
CazBumBaz

WOW!! Fantastic Review! Thank you!

I will let our Door Assitants Scott, Luis and Bernie know that you appreciated thier service.

Look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 29, 2011

A friend of mine and I stayed at the James over most recent labor day weekend, and I was disappointed. The hotel staff were very courteous and helpful, except for giving us grief for wanting separate receipts upon checkout. But our room was cramped and the air conditioning couldn't keep up with the heat (admittedly, it was a hot weekend). An engineer came to service the air conditioner, but couldn't really resolve the problem. The fitness center is nice, but not nearly as nice as the ones at the Chicago Hilton or the Trump. We paid as much at the James as I've paid at any Chicago hotel (including a $399 Saturday night), but I don't think it belongs in the top tier based on our experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Paul-

Thank you for sharing your experience with The James. I'm sorry that we let you down and regret that the Air Conditioner was unable to properly cool the room. Glad the staff was good except for your departure experience. Certainly not a problem to provice multiple receipts.

I appreciate you candid feedback and should you choose to try us again, invite you to reach out to me directly to make your reservation.

Best
UK
Reviewed October 28, 2011

The James is in an ideal location for a first time visitor to Chicago, being only five minutes' walk from the Magnificent Mile and close to the L stop.

The hotel is well decorated and has one of the largest and most well equipped hotel gyms I've seen. Our room, a studio, was enormous. Two huge flat screen tellys, comfortable sofa and bed and large bathroom.

Staff are incredibly friendly and helpful and there is the added bonus of a late checkout (2pm) as standard.

If you're looking for a city centre hotel Chicago, I doubt you could do any better than The James. I wouldn't hesitate staying here again.

Chicago
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I would stay at this hotel based on the caliber of their service alone. I had purchased a stay for my best friend's wedding night off a third-party site. Not only did they not treat me like I was third-rate (which most places do in my opinion), they were amazingly sweet and accommodating. They went out of their way to make sure my best friend's evening was special. The service, care, and attention I received is some of the best I've ever had. A special thanks to Krista in the concierge department for making me look good! Needless to say, my friends had a magical night.