“Tres Sexy”

Ranked #43 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
New York City, New York
“Tres Sexy”
Reviewed December 6, 2007

Ok...I could never afford to stay here on my own but was put up by my company for a quick business trip and I couldn't have been happier.
The modern design of this hotel is pure sexiness to the nth degree. A superb example of minimalism with lots of white space. And the bed was sooo comfortable!
The staff couldn't have been nicer (and hell, for almost $500 bucks a night they should treat you like a king).
The location is pure downtown with great shopping in walking distance. Unfortunately I didn't get to explore but I hope that on my next trip I get the opportunity to stay at this hotel again.
(PS: Be sure to check out what the minibar has to offer beyond the booze...too funny).

• Liked — design and service
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank thomkat73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York
Reviewed December 1, 2007

The James is chic cool. The lighting in my room was very sexy. The David Burke restaurant in the hotel is a big plus - never had more steak in one serving. The location is central - near shopping, restaurants and importantly, starbucks. Service was fantastic. Front desk staff helped me fax an important document. Check out was quick. I showered in a bathroom with no convenient space for soap and shampoo while I was under the water. The elevator is compact and was made crowded when people were there for a wedding. Bed was sumptuous and most comfortable. Had a great stay.

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — the shower
  • Stayed November 2007
2 Thank Honest-George
Sydney
Reviewed November 4, 2007

This hotel had some good reviews in some conference materials for the DMA07 Conference, but having stayed there for ten days I can say it is a place to be avoided.

The bathrooom door did not close, a colleague staying in another room had the same problem.

The in room television service, with an audio that promoted it as the lastest in hotel convenience, had no visual display.

The fixtures in the bathroom were barely attached to the wall and the taps in the bathroom came off the wall while turning on the shower.

The architrave air conditioning ducts were not fitted correctly which made the room look unfinished.

The quality control in preparing the rooms for guests was absolutely appaling.

Overall a poor experience and one I will advise our booking agent not to repeat.

• Liked — Some of the door staff were polite and efficient
  • Disliked — The total lack of any quality control in preparing rooms for guests
5 Thank Aussie_Consultant
Dallas
Reviewed November 3, 2007

it's hard to explain our dissatisfaction with this hotel. Considering how expensive this place is, there are probably 30 hotels in Chicago where your money would be better spent.

First of all, I've never seen a poorer elevator situation. Normally one doesn't feel compelled to write about elevators, but it's clearly indicative of the experience at this hotel... First, don't stay on the 17th (top) floor. The elevators shake the entire floor every time someone takes the elevator...it sounds like the top floor is one big racquetball court. Second, there are two elevators, each approximately 15 square feet, meaning every single time one takes the elevator, one experiences 5 or 6 stops and your elevator has about 11 people in it, comparable to squeezing 11 people into a honda civic hatchback (only moderate sarcasm).

The food: terrible. Forget it, I don't care if you go it for free, as we did (gift from father-in-law). Everything was incredibly salty. Honestly, I don't consider food to be a big factor when choosing a hotel. However, it was terrible, so if you think that's important, forget about it.

Another thing: we tried to order breakfast daily, but for some reason, after the first day, they refused to send up breakfast order forms. They should have given them to us every day, but did not. We called to ask for them, and they would say "absolutely, sir, we'll send them right up." Of course they did not. Next day, same thing. Really? How hard is it to take care of
something as simple? Again, not a big deal by itself, but definitely representative of the level of service.

Furthermore, we had two complimentary drinks as a part of our package (reminder: this package had been completely paid for by my father-in-law), but we didn't get coupons for it. We were told by the front desk just to show the bartender our package deal summary sheet, which we did. The bartender took a full 5 minutes to analyze the card we gave him, in a PACKED bar with other patrons glaring at us like we were farmers, and asked if we had the coupons mentioned. We did not, and I told him what the front desk told us. He told us that he needed to ask his manager. 10 more minutes passed. Finally he returned and said "You know what I can't find the manager anywhere, but I'm just going to go ahead and give you your drinks." Thanks, buddy, for doing me the unbelievable favor of giving me two drinks that cost you $2, which we have already paid for to the tune of some $1750. Really stunning customer service. Wow. Oh my god.

The walls are paper thin.

Forget the bar. Horrible, packed, pretentious

I could go on, but chances are you've already stopped reading.

The point is: for over $300/night (we paid over $500), this place is not the place.

Housekeeping was good. The room's decor was nice. The little media nook was nice as well.

• Liked — decor
  • Disliked — Elevators!!! Noise From The Elevators, Etc.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank ak40sarah
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2007

After spending two weeks working in the suburbs I was looking for somewhere comfortable, central and a little more intimate than the chain hotels on Michigan Avenue. I'd stayed at the Marriott and Meridian before and hadn't enjoyed the experience.

The hotel is one block west of Michigan Avenue behind the Marriott. A great location to start exploring the city. Check in was a breeze and the hot towels were welcome. Don't come to the hotel for the views. With just 16 floors it's dwarfed by the surrounding properties. Our room was on the 12th floor facing the south. We had a deluxe double room booked through Hotels.com. Over $100/night below the rack rate. Although not a huge room it was very comfortable and the bed was the largest I'd slept in for a while. Great touches like the Kiehl's bath products, free wireless internet, 42" Plasma and iPod equipped stereo.

I can't comment on the Bar or Restaraunt as we didn't dine there.

One tip....head to West Egg for breakfast - Great food and fantastic value for money. It's just a five minute walk up Ontario.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bluesboy34
Reviewed October 29, 2007

Stayed here 3 nites for a conference. The hotel is a very trendy boutique hotel convenient located near the Magnificent Mile (Michigan Ave). The lobby is pretty small and 1/2 of it is overtaken by an extended bar from Prime, the hotel's steakhouse restaurant (heard some good things about the restaurant).

The staff was efficient if not totally friendly. I noticed a tendency for staffers to congregate and felt as if I was intruding on their space when I went to check in/out so felt rather uncomfortable.

The room itself is rather small but the clean lines of the decor made most of the room. The bed and the flat-screen TV was nice, and the corner room we stayed in was quiet throughout the night. The Kiehl's bath products were the best, and the housekeeping staff was really friendly with the bed turndown service and cookie(s).

Door staff was extremely helpful and friendly, and I went to them to ask questions rather than 'bother' the front desk staff. Was there a concierge there? Didn't notice.

Maybe my tastebuds were off but I would not order drinks at the bar. I ordered a G&T which tasted like soda instead of tonic; this could not be fixed so resorted to another drink.

Pro: convenient location. Starbucks and Trader Joe's right across. Good eats on the same block or right across. Friendly door staff. Decent mini bar.
Con: rooms were pricey and rather small (smaller than NYC hotel rooms). small elevators.

1 Thank fast_kar
new york city
Reviewed October 19, 2007

This is my third time staying at the JAMES for business. the staff is great, they upgraded me to a media loft , with 2 bed and 2 plasmas plus a projector screen. everything is done to make you comfrotable- from the kiehls products to the ipod hook up.
the gym is also very big and well organized.
I would come back again - and reccomend to everyone

• Liked — Location, BED
  • Disliked — nothing
3 Thank maddeline